Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Mustang VCT - idle cam position issue

2013 Mustang VCT - idle cam position issue

Has anyone tried adjusting their cam position while not in Optimum Power. Meaning changed the Intake and Exhaust Mapped points. Or have a 2013/14 with a lumpy cam idle?

What i'm running into is I am trying to achieve a lumpy cam idle by moving the Intake and Exhaust cam position to my new targets. I feel that I have a pretty good understanding of how the cam positioning works. Unfortunately I can not figure out what is causing the I/E cams to move to 0 degrees after 20 seconds at idle.
    For example start the car let it idle/warm up for the phase limiting. Blip the throttle to rev the motor, engine returns to idle at my target position I requested and stays there for 20 seconds. Then the cams will zero out and go home every-time. I originally thought Optimal Stability was causing me this grief but I can see it moving the cams before the 20 sec period when the cams move to home.

If the throttle pedal is any value other 0% then my target position will be held. If the throttle pedal position is 0% and 20 seconds passes the cams return home. I'm wondering if one of the Snap to Point tables are my issue if I am entering into an cell that is not enabled. If I set all of my Intake and Exhaust Valve Closing tables to a value other than zero. I still see 0 degree's as my target value on my scan tool once the 20 seconds expires. Anyone run into this yet?

One thing I'm not sure about is the VCT Best Driveability -Enable Min Load. The table has load points in the 60% to 70% range at 1000 rpm and up. To me this load point is to high to be considered a Driveablity table. Is it possible one or more of the tables is mislabeled or the values in the table are not correct for the actual usage of the table? I would love to hear what others have done or see a file with the lumpy idle in it.

Thanks guys,
    Rob

The ability to log the correct things is going to make this pretty easy. This feature should be enabled soon.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Potential Tuner
    Also looking to adjust the cam timing for that lumpy cam idle but haven't found anything on how to do this yet with HPtuners. How does the computer handle the Boss 302 Track Key which gives it that mean idle as well as some performance benefits. Would there be a way to copy the Boss 302 Track Key settings into a 2011 GT?

Quote Originally Posted by e85gtx View Post
    Also looking to adjust the cam timing for that lumpy cam idle but haven't found anything on how to do this yet with HPtuners. How does the computer handle the Boss 302 Track Key which gives it that mean idle as well as some performance benefits. Would there be a way to copy the Boss 302 Track Key settings into a 2011 GT?
    The track key stuff is something I am looking into. As for the lumpy cam stuff. I will be writing a HOWTO soon.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner in Training
    I have a friend with a 2013 BOSS, but the Track Key was incorrectly programmed from the factory; both silver and red keys put out red key power.

Do you need any reads for the BOSS?

Potential Tuner
    I'd like to see some of the Boss parameters if you can post a file.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    The track key stuff is something I am looking into. As for the lumpy cam stuff. I will be writing a HOWTO soon.
    Where will we find the How to on this? Will it be in the help, FAQ, or on the forums?

Tuner in Training
    Rob, automatic or manual trans?

It's a manual. I believe I have it sorted now just fine tuning the cold start up and off throttle settings now.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bravo685 View Post
    It's a manual. I believe I have it sorted now just fine tuning the cold start up and off throttle settings now.
    Rob, when you get it all fine tuned would you mind sharing a write up or a good starting point?

Quote Originally Posted by e85gtx View Post
    Rob, when you get it all fine tuned would you mind sharing a write up or a good starting point?
    Absolutely, I don't mind at all. I have been playing with the cam position changing how aggressive it sounds. Doing so changes the speed density calc. so I am working on getting this cleaned up.

What I was battling was the Idle control minimum VSS speed setting. Apparently it takes control of the cams after a short period of time and parks them. Set the Mph at which idle control is enable to 0mph to stop this from happening. The rest is in the VCT distance tables and setting OP VCT to a much lower throttle angle. All that is left to do is the Quadratic tables done (speed density).

Rob

Absolutely, I don't mind at all. I have been playing with the cam position changing how aggressive it sounds. Doing so changes the speed density calc. so I am working on getting this cleaned up.

What I was battling was the Idle control minimum VSS speed setting. Apparently it takes control of the cams after a short period of time and parks them. Set the Mph at which idle control is enable to 0mph to stop this from happening. The rest is in the VCT distance tables and setting OP VCT to a much lower throttle angle. All that is left to do is the Quadratic tables done (speed density).

Rob
    Rob, I like to see posts like this! Kudos to you for taking on these cars and making progress.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

I'm having trouble getting mine to lope at all. I feel there is something missing (obviously), but I am not sure what exactly. My VSS is set to 0 but still nothing after making cam changes to get the idle to lope.
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin85 View Post
    I'm having trouble getting mine to lope at all. I feel there is something missing (obviously), but I am not sure what exactly. My VSS is set to 0 but still nothing after making cam changes to get the idle to lope.

You need to set your Mapped Points -> Intake and Exhaust Closing points at the 0 and 1 positions for idle.
    Set your VCT Optimum Power Pedal Position to 30.0 at and near idle
    Set your VCT Optimum Power Load % to 30.0 at and near idle
    Set your VCT Best Drivability Enable min load to 5.0 across the whole table
    Set your VCT Optimum Stability Distance table, Emissions Reduction table to 0.0 across the whole table.

Your VCT Phase Limiting tables will need to be checked to make sure it does not zero your cams based on the table axis value.

Keep in mind that moving the cams will affect your Speed Density/MAP inferred values. This will need to be tuned to correct the inferred points.

Potential Tuner
    You need to set your Mapped Points -> Intake and Exhaust Closing points at the 0 and 1 positions for idle.
    Set your VCT Optimum Power Pedal Position to 30.0 at and near idle
    Set your VCT Optimum Power Load % to 30.0 at and near idle
    Set your VCT Best Drivability Enable min load to 5.0 across the whole table
    Set your VCT Optimum Stability Distance table, Emissions Reduction table to 0.0 across the whole table.

Your VCT Phase Limiting tables will need to be checked to make sure it does not zero your cams based on the table axis value.

Keep in mind that moving the cams will affect your Speed Density/MAP inferred values. This will need to be tuned to correct the inferred points.
    What are you setting your mapped points at for Intake and Exhaust Closing?

I found that Best Drivability was set to 5.0 already and Optimum stability Distance table was also set to 0.0
    Phase Limiting tables did not zero out either.

PDF of screen shots for VCT tables

Here is a *.pdf of the screen shots of the tables needed to keep the cams from parking after a few seconds at idle. Keep in mind that you will still need to do the speed density tune to keep the inferred map values correct.

www.powerplantdevelopment.com/Downloads/Coyote_CAM_setup.pdf

Once I have a good way of calculating the speed density corrections I will update the pdf.

Thanks for all the messages I'm glad I could be of some help to everyone.

Rob

Potential Tuner
    Here is a *.pdf of the screen shots of the tables needed to keep the cams from parking after a few seconds at idle. Keep in mind that you will still need to do the speed density tune to keep the inferred map values correct.

www.powerplantdevelopment.com/Downloads/Coyote_CAM_setup.pdf

Once I have a good way of calculating the speed density corrections I will update the pdf.

Thanks for all the messages I'm glad I could be of some help to everyone.

Rob
    This is great info! That's for posting all your hard work. Are all the mapped points affected for speed density or just 0-1 with the idle lope tuning? I have only messed with VE tuning in the past.

Here's an interesting twist to it all.. Has anyone else noticed on F150 Coyote trucks OP is not being used? It has a big fat 0 next to it under Mapped points configuration.. Kinda throws a wrench in the works in terms of wide open throttle tuning, ghost cam tuning etc etc wouldn't you think? I'm messing around with a truck that belongs to a friend of mine and trying to set it up for ghost cam, get it to be a blast wide open and help it be an overall fun truck. Curious if anyone else has noticed this and what you found to get around the issue..

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    Make sure you make changes to your phasing tables, if you cams are reverting to 0 after 20-30 seconds (meaning your engine is warmed up) under cam phaser you will see its set to 0.

have it match what you have in your set points under intake and exhaust
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

wrong rpm lables.jpg

While trying to get a ghost cam tune going n my friends 2012 f-150 I noticed this lable seemsto be incorrect.
    I was also unable to get anything to change in the sound of the idle.
    After setting the parameters that were listed here the truck still idles like stock.
    Are there any other hidden enable/disable features need to be applied?
    '02 Silverado-4.8T mp70