Thread: Trying to learn

Trying to learn

I've owned my tuner for a few years but I am finally going to take a stab at trying to self tune the car so I can get it to my tuner. Unfortunately I melted the converter from running too rich on idle. I am going to be buying a long tube setup and don't want to risk ruining the setup.

Would someone with a kind heart and knowledge please help me out, I'm willing to learn and will take any advice to get better at tuning. I have done a lot of reading but it isn't helping. I need to get out there and just adjust items in my file to see what it is doing.

Currently my car is running extremely rich on idle and causing the idle to hunt. I know that the LS4 throttle body isn't helping my case there but I got it for a really good deal and figure I would like to see if it is worth the gain.

My currently modifications are:

POWER:

Ported cylinder head, mainly the exhaust with a little clean up on the intake side
    Ported supercharger, inlet and outlet
    Ported intake manifold
    Supertech 75# valvesprings
    2.7" pulley
    ZZP 3" intake
    Going to purchase a new ZZP longtube header that is catted and exits to a 2.5" exhaust
    Custom 2.5" exhaust with a 22" long Magnaflow resonator and a 5x8x14 Magnaflow muffler. I'm getting too old for the loud exhausts.

COOLING:

Single pass
    Option B
    ZZP Stealth heat exchanger
    ZZP Phenolic spacer

FUELING:

Siemens 60# injectors
    I have a methanol injection kit but I need to purchase a new controller. A reputable member on CSS.net pointed me to the boost reference AIS controller. I like it. If I install the kit I will be going with a 50/50 fluid and a 10 GPH nozzle.

I believe that's it for the go fast modifications. Like I said, I would appreciate how to set up the correct histographs so that I can get my MAF dailed in good enough to not flood out the car and ruin another converter. I DO have an innovate LC-1 wideband as well along with an Aeroforce.

I have no vacuum leaks and no engine lights on. Everything is good BUT my tune. I'm great mechanically but not with tuning. At least I can admit my defeat. Lol!

Bump, my car is at a stand still and I would really like to drive it instead of my current vehicle.

Tuner in Training
    Check out these guys. thetuningschool.com they have an awesome learn at home program.

you have a build that is not exactly the best combination to tune yourself as a beginner. If you are in a hurry, then have it
    loaded on a flat bed and hauled to a reliable tuner with experience tuning supercharged motors. You have a build that can
    be destroyed in less than 5 seconds if timing is advanced too high, etc. And it is a lean condition that over-heats and destroys
    catalytic converters. I am not aware that rich condition destroys them; I would imagine you would destroy your rings
    before the converters are wiped out.