Thread: Need Help - 5.3/4l60e swap not shifting

Tuner in Training

Question Need Help - 5.3/4l60e swap not shifting

Need some help/Idea's

I removed a running driving complete 5.3 motor/trans out of a 2000 Silverado 2wd.
    I installed it into a 99 S10.
    It starts right up and idles fine.
    When I drive it, it seems like it stays in 2nd gear and never shifts up or down no matter what rpm I reach. I can shift it from 2nd to 3rd with the shifter and it will shift.
    I sent the computer and harness of to 150tunes.com for the standalone harness and basic tune.
    I have HP tuners and logged the test drive and read the DTC codes.

(I opened the log file when I got home and the codes are no longer in the DTC window. I will get them again tomorrow and update.) - SORRY

I basically get the following codes from what I remember:
    2-3 shift
    3-2 shift
    vcc
    1-2 shift
    about 2-3 others. I will check.

Acts like the trans is not even hooked up and maybe its in limp mode???

Any ideas without the actual codes?

Stock motor/trans/torque conv/harness/computer/accessories etc...

Thanks for the help

Will
    01 Silverado Stepside 5.3 Z-71
    99 5.3 Stepside S10
    48 5.3 Chevy stepside

Tuner in Training
    Take a look at your VSS sensor that's on the transmission. I've had that exact issue a few times and the VSS has fixed it. But.... I've had the speedo intermittently act up as well. Make sure your VSS is hooked up, if not you should be able to get a resistance reading on it. Keep us updated.
    Last edited by Dying2Live; 04-15-2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling owns me.

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like its in limp mode.
    1993 reef blue Mustang coupe
    Ls1 conversion
    1 7/8 cooks headers
    AFR 205 heads
    Fast 92/92 intake
    PAT G./ EPS Custom cam 230/234 .600”/.602” 112LSA +2 advance
    century Built 4l60e with Circle D 3500 converter
    4.11 gears

Tuner in Training
    Yes, I thought it was in limp mode myself. I think the VSS is working due to the scanner reading MPH. I am back at work and will pull the codes again here when it warms up in about 2 hrs.
    99 5.3 Stepside S10
    48 5.3 Chevy stepside

Advanced Tuner
    You can contact us for help. We'll help you with any issues you have after purchasing one of our conversions. Even if it's an issue on your end, we'll help figure it out. Email is best - info at diffsonly dot com. That way we can email you schematics and etc. if needed. Plus sometimes questions need some time and thought.

Pretty sure limp mode wont' allow the trans to shift at all and the shift pressures will be maxed out. So I doubt it's going into limp mode.

Get the actual codes. Without them we are pissing in the wind.

Also compare your scanner MPH to a GPS MPH - actual GPS, not cell phone! Wrong tire/gear size programmed in the PCM can cause weird shift issues.

Bad/stuck 1-2 shift solenoid? Second and third gear don't use the 1-2 solenoid, they use the 3-4 solenoid. 1st and 4th do use the 1-2 solenoid.

There is also a slight possibility there are wires damaged in the harness from the accident that we didn't catch. If the trunk doesn't look damaged, we're not going to go in looking for issues or ring out wires. But rest assured, if we see something that doesn't look or feel right, we're going to check it out and make repairs if needed.

Also, with your HPTuners software you can log commanded and actual trans gear to see if they are the same or different.

Advanced Tuner
    Also you can check the 1-2 and 3-4 solenoids. In park reverse and neutral, both should be on.

Check to make sure you have power to the trans, might have left a fuse or something out.
    *Jeff*
    2002 4dr 2wd Blazer, 06 L33, LS6 cam, built trans, etc.. SOLD
    2008 Tahoe Hybrid 2wd, 6.0L LFA (stock dd)
    1964 Chevelle Malibu 4 door, 2003 LQ4, 06 GTO T56 swap -> https://www.chevelles.com/threads/19...-build.955866/

Tuner in Training
    OK here is a list of codes driving it around the block.

P0758 2-3 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical (SES)(old)(History)(Current)(Immature)
    P0135 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor (Pending)(old)(current)(Immature)
    P0155 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor (Pending)(old)(current)(Immature)
    P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit (Pending)(Immature)
    P0740 TCC Enable Solenoid Circuit Electrical (Pending)(old)(current)(Immature)
    P0753 1-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical (Pending)(old)(current)(Immature)
    P0785 3-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical (Pending)(old)(current)(Immature)
    P1860 TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical (Pending)(old)(current)(Immature)
    99 5.3 Stepside S10
    48 5.3 Chevy stepside

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by syclone2910 View Post
    OK here is a list of codes driving it around the block.

P0758 2-3 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical (SES)(old)(History)(Current)(Immature)
    P0135 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor (Pending)(old)(current)(Immature)
    P0155 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor (Pending)(old)(current)(Immature)
    P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit (Pending)(Immature)
    P0740 TCC Enable Solenoid Circuit Electrical (Pending)(old)(current)(Immature)
    P0753 1-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical (Pending)(old)(current)(Immature)
    P0785 3-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical (Pending)(old)(current)(Immature)
    P1860 TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical (Pending)(old)(current)(Immature)
    Are you sure you have power? And you are able to manually shift from 2-3? All of those circuit electrical codes are because there is power missing.

Tuner in Training
    If I drive it and leave it in (D) it will not shift even at 5500RPM. If I pull it down in 2nd and then manually shift it when the rpm's come up it shifts up a gear. Now whether thats 2nd to 3rd I can not tell you. I am new to HP Tuners and do not see where it says what gear its in on the scanner.
    99 5.3 Stepside S10
    48 5.3 Chevy stepside

Advanced Tuner
    Just out of shits and giggles. Start it and then clear the codes with your HPTuners. Then drive it and see if they come back and see if it shifts.

Tuner in Training
    I cleared the codes before making the trip around the block. If I did clear it correctly. I clicked on the red X in the DTC table and everything disappeared then hit the Check make and drove it around the block.
    99 5.3 Stepside S10
    48 5.3 Chevy stepside

Advanced Tuner
    I cleared the codes before making the trip around the block. If I did clear it correctly. I clicked on the red X in the DTC table and everything disappeared then hit the Check make and drove it around the block.
    So you started it, THEN cleared the codes, THEN drove it around the block and the codes you posted above were there when you got back?

I can't help you with schematics here, only through email. It really seems like you are missing 12v going to the trans.

good god, check for power. You're not getting 12 volts to the solenoids.
    *Jeff*
    1964 Chevelle Malibu 4 door, 2003 LQ4, 06 GTO T56 swap -> https://www.chevelles.com/threads/19...-build.955866/

Tuner in Training
    I will go out and check for power. I did insert a few more tables in the HP Tuners scanner Table Display.
    I added Trans current gear, Trans shift mode, TCC mode, Force motor (PSC) Actual Current, Force motor (PSC)Desired Current, Force motor (PSC)Duty Cycle, Force motor (PSC)Line Pressure.
    I get readings on all the Force motor (PSC) tables, The Trans Shift Mode did change to Urban Mode when I manually shifter up and down gears. The Trans Current Gear says 1, but as soon as I start moving it shows 2. Then when I manually shifted it it went to 3 and back to 2 when I down shifted manually.
    99 5.3 Stepside S10
    48 5.3 Chevy stepside

Tuner in Training
    Got it. Shifts fine now. It was the power like you said. Break in the power wire to trans. Looks like a kink or something originally. Works fine now. Thanks all for the help.
    99 5.3 Stepside S10
    48 5.3 Chevy stepside

Advanced Tuner
    Got it. Shifts fine now. It was the power like you said. Break in the power wire to trans. Looks like a kink or something originally. Works fine now. Thanks all for the help.
    Sweet! Sorry we didn't catch that I know it's a pain, but we can fix it and look the area over more closely if you want to return it. You do still have a o2 heater issue and MIL issue.

Tuner in Training
    I did not scan it after fixing the power issue. I just took it around the block. Shifted great 1-2, 2-3. I will clear the DTC's and scan it again tomorrow. I did notice that it did not go above 3rd. I felt no overdrive. I took the rpm's up and nothing after 3rd. I pulled it down into 3rd and it stayed the same so no overdrive. I will log it in the morning and see if anything else pops up. Thanks again for your time and everyone's help with this.

Will
    99 5.3 Stepside S10
    48 5.3 Chevy stepside

Advanced Tuner
    I did not scan it after fixing the power issue. I just took it around the block. Shifted great 1-2, 2-3. I will clear the DTC's and scan it again tomorrow. I did notice that it did not go above 3rd. I felt no overdrive. I took the rpm's up and nothing after 3rd. I pulled it down into 3rd and it stayed the same so no overdrive. I will log it in the morning and see if anything else pops up. Thanks again for your time and everyone's help with this.

Will
    o2's and MIL don't go through the trans power wire. So those issues will still be there. Most likely the check engine light is bad. The wires to it are very fragile.

Still compare your scanner MPH with a GPS - not cellphone GPS! If the speed is off it will mess with your shift points. The way I have the trans setup, you should be in 4th by 30-35 mph, light engine load of course.

Do you have the torque converter clutch solenoid powered with the brake switch?
    *Jeff*