Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most reputable tuners for LNF's. Chime in here.

Most reputable tuners for LNF's. Chime in here.

So who is the current reigning champion that has tuned the LNF to its maximum power capacity as of April 2014?

This is simply reaching out to ANYONE who is interested in tuning as I have an array of customers looking to support a great tuner for their services including myself.

I've lost contact with Terminator ( he's thrown in the towel ) and am in need of some trustworthy consulting on the direction to perfection.

Please let me know if you are interested.

Advanced Tuner
    Unless they are in the Oklahoma City area I won't help. CodenameBill might be willing to help.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    Unless they are in the Oklahoma City area I won't help. CodenameBill might be willing to help.
    Right on. Well I am in Colorado and theres only a handful of us with the HPT cable.

Its really frightening to learn only 3 people or so can actually tune these cars successfully and be reliable when you have questions or need help.

I guess it isn't worth it for most lately. Thanks for your response.

Advanced Tuner
    I choose not to because I don't like the idea of email tunes. Its not that I can't I just don't like it. I definitely wouldn't mind tuning more it's just I'd rather stick with the people I do live.

I totally understand Some guys only do dyno tunes so its no big deal just what you feel comfortable with and I respect that .

Advanced Tuner
    I sent you a private message.

There is enough information on here to allow you to develop a tune based on your customers' needs whether it be drag racing, road racing, all-around driveability, whatever. I think the point we've made in several threads is that others stopped posting their info because of the fact that tuning shops would copy/paste and sell the table mods as their own. That may work for LS ecu's, but all the tables on an LNF are interrelated and must be modified together to work the best.

Because the others are no longer on here, I went out and started experimenting. It took me several months to figure out this ecu fully. I just ran a weekend race against several other classes (Vettes, Boss 302R Mustangs, Vipers, BMW's, etc). On 20psi my Solstice kept up with or pulled on most all of them down the straights. I spent a lot of time developing this tune for a completely linear, cable-driven pedal feel which works for street/strip/track. I would never hand my tune over for someone else to sell and take credit for. I don't believe in mail-order tunes, either. I also have friends who run professional tuning shops. They would never just hand out tunes they've worked hard to develop.

Good luck with the search. I suggest learning to tune them rather than looking to get a tune handed to you. There is enough information here on hpt and a community willing to help you learn.

This is exactly why I chose to post and put up some how-to's rather than keep the info to myself.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i threw in my towel after a custom race motor incident so i'm done as well.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Yep, one bad apple for each of us rotted the 'remote tune' barrel. Too many times mechanical failure gets blamed on the tuner or tune when it's just the engine wasn't up to the task anymore.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Advanced Tuner
    Iam Broke is 100% correct. I had a guy the other day ask me to tune his car and when I asked him if his car was in good order he began to tell me that the mechanic shop told him that his CEL was on because his MAF was wired wrong. We popped the hood and his MAF sensor was definitely spliced in. So we began talking about that and he continued to tell me that the shop had said it was under his fuse box that it was messed up. The kid had no clue what was actually wrong with his car but wanted to make it faster. Imagine what could be wrong with his car that he has no clue about. If it wasn't for his CEL he would have told me his car was perfect. Most people are not car gurus so they see one thing. My car didn't mess up until he tuned it. Also I don't like the fact that if something goes wrong I'm not there to catch it in progress to stop it. How many people do you think log the tune and keep doing WOT pulls prior to you even sending them another tune? Or how many people don't monitor the car with gauges at all but want a tune? Too many variables in trusting the customer that I think live tuning is far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    Iam Broke is 100% correct. I had a guy the other day ask me to tune his car and when I asked him if his car was in good order he began to tell me that the mechanic shop told him that his CEL was on because his MAF was wired wrong. We popped the hood and his MAF sensor was definitely spliced in. So we began talking about that and he continued to tell me that the shop had said it was under his fuse box that it was messed up. The kid had no clue what was actually wrong with his car but wanted to make it faster. Imagine what could be wrong with his car that he has no clue about. If it wasn't for his CEL he would have told me his car was perfect. Most people are not car gurus so they see one thing. My car didn't mess up until he tuned it. Also I don't like the fact that if something goes wrong I'm not there to catch it in progress to stop it. How many people do you think log the tune and keep doing WOT pulls prior to you even sending them another tune? Or how many people don't monitor the car with gauges at all but want a tune? Too many variables in trusting the customer that I think live tuning is far superior.
    Agree 110% . Either the car comes to me, or the customer pays for me to travel to them. A waiver is signed (with all mods and specs) along with a complete check over and a logged test drive or time on the rollers. This happens before any tables are modified and uploaded into the PCM. I'm not tuning around "your problem". All logs are saved, along with dyno logs saved (I record data through it too). Some people look at the waiver and are like WTF.... My reply is always the same. I don't know what has been done prior to the tuning session. I don't know if you are going to go out and change something after the tune (boost levels, fuel type, etc....). Once they grasp that, its usually smooth sailing. Gotta CYA these days. The tune is always the first thing blamed....

P&P Tuning

There is enough information on this site to make a good "baseline" high performance tune.
    Read whats available and learn to do it yourself, or leave it stock.
    What works for me most likely won't work for you.
    CSSOB has a link in his sig file for all the basic LNF information needed.
    I've learned from his generous sharing of information.
    Best regards.
    Regards,
    Bob Herrick
    Plano, Texas

2009 HHR SS Silver/Ebony w/ 5 Speed Manual.
    Tuning with HP Tuners using a 13" MacBook Air, using Parallels 9 with windows xp as a virtual machine.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes you can make a baseline tune from the info on the web but there is a lot of information left out on the web. I don't know if I would say that there is enough to make a high performance tune. Baseline tune yes but anyone can add boost to a tune and say they tuned it. A lot more is involved then that. I'm sure you know that so please don't think I'm bashing you Bherrick just simply stating I wouldn't want to learn on an expensive toy. If you are still stock and don't have a bunch of money invest I say go for it. To each there own though.

I'm on stock internals and externals, I've learned enough from this site to make my HHR SS run well, I guess it depends on what is considered a "high performance tune".
    I have several hot rods that are way faster than my HHR SS, old school carbs, distributors and all that.
    But, I have tuned my HHR SS well enough that I can embarrass others.
    No offense taken Mike, just that you can make a LNF perform with what's commonly available if you care to study it.
    -Bob
    Regards,
    Bob Herrick
    Plano, Texas

Tuning with HP Tuners using a 13" MacBook Air, using Parallels 9 with windows xp as a virtual machine.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes anyone can make it faster based off of the information on this site. I guarantee it is not as fast or as reliable or as smooth driving as it should be. The car should run perfect at all times and all types of driving. That should be the goal when tuning.

i left information on about 15 other tables out on purpose. the blame game would be out of control.

I for one am happy with what you left. I'm currently testing other tables one at a time. I'm currently working on timing tables.
    Regards,
    Bob Herrick
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by BowTieTillIDie View Post
    So who is the current reigning champion that has tuned the LNF to its maximum power capacity as of April 2014?

This is simply reaching out to ANYONE who is interested in tuning as I have an array of customers looking to support a great tuner for their services including myself.

I've lost contact with Terminator ( he's thrown in the towel ) and am in need of some trustworthy consulting on the direction to perfection.

Please let me know if you are interested.

It used to be on this forum that everyone would help everyone else. Tunes would be posted and shared and it was a fun responsive community. Then people started PM'ing files so you couldn't see what was being shared. Then people wanted to get paid and that's when this place started to lose it's steam. Then came the blame game "Vince is an idiot" "BYT is a jerk. Takes my money and won't answer e-mails" "Can anyone answer my question?" "It's not the tune dude". I posted a simple question about a MAF cal on a Sonic recently, I see it has 100 views now. No responses. Not surprised. Sorry to see some of the guys have just given up Term and cobaltover to name a few.
    I'll get off of my soapbox now. Sorry.
    Now about tuning. I you can do a lot of digging here and tune it yourself just fine. I did. Sure you'll screw up sometimes and go WTF?!!? but that is part of the learning curve. If you really want to try to understand what is going on, what affects other things DIY! If you are concerned about breaking stuff pay someone or leave it alone but as you can see here others can break stuff too! But above all else have fun and drive!

BTW, I miss my HHR ;(
    Old Car 2008 HHR SS Auto
    GMTU, TTR Solid Engine Mount and 1" Sway Bar.

Now 2013 Sonic RS Turbo
    DDMWorks Intake, ZZP Rear Sway Bar.

1972 Chevy Pickup
    L48 350 Holley 650, Weiand Alum Intake Manifold Water Pump and Pulley, Hot cam, 12 Bolt, Headers, Hurst Shifter.

trust me i miss the old way too

There is no difference between the 'old way' and 'new way' except that numbers aren't just handed out for tuners to come grab and flash. I think from the last couple threads Mike and I have started that no information is being held back. Help is always available. We're just keeping those who are too lazy to learn for themselves from taking other people's hard work and profiting off of it.