Thread: Any way to disable each of the idle modes?

Any way to disable each of the idle modes?

On the E40, is there any way to disable adaptive and integral modes? Zeroing them perhaps? The reason I asked is my car has been idling rich and for whatever reason, "it" decided on one drive to run much better and even dropped the CEL, then the next drive went right back to being rich I'm convinced it switched modes and which ever mode it was in was leaner. So I figured it would be a good idea to isolate each mode and see how they behave.

'06 BOM M6 Widebody RA6 GTO
    Trick Flow 550 kit( 225 heads, Track Max cam, springs, chain etc)
    ARH longtube , MBS HiFlow cats, Corsa Touring X-pipe SS exhaust
    Wilson FAST 92mm manifold #42 DeatschWerks Injectors soon
    Vararam Intake Duspeed not installed yet
    B&M shifter 3.91 rear,Monster level 4 Harrop diff cover
    CTS-V V2 brakes BC BR coilovers Whiteline everything
    DSS AH axles, Spohn LC arms, Toe Bar
    CCW 505a 10.5x19, 12.5x20 Nitto Invo 285& 345
    SCSS oil & afr Innovate LC2

The Adaptive and Integral modes actually mix together. The adaptive mode handles larger changes over a shorter period to correct for instantaneous effects and the Integral is slower changing accounting for average effects. This values (along with other idle mode airflow changes like AC, temperature etc) are added to the Min Air flow to arrive at the final idle value. With larger cams like yours, which have a natural lope, sometimes you need to "soften" the idle air and spark correction because you get a normal rpm swing by nature. Trying to limit it can set the whole control circuit into an oscillating mode and throw it way out of sync. To this the rpm swings and effects are reduced to allow more normal swing with less correction.

Per you other thread, please post the log for the idle after adjusting the VE for both the good and the second start rich condition if you have them. Watching the timing will give you an indication as to where the airflow/fueling is driving the idle rpm. The adaptive timing control is the "last line of defense" in trying to maintain the desired idle rpm's. Before the VE change, the timing was biased towards 0 instead of the desired 15 degrees.

My first "Blink" is your Min airflow and Cranking air are a bit higher (say 20% or so) than I would expect. Seeing the log will tell us if the min idle air needs to be decreased.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 04-13-2014 at 07:19 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Well your advice did help the idle mixture so it is time for a log session. Now that I have a battery powered laptop instead of AC powered, I can log multiple sessions as my last log was an interface log, which if I understand is limited to one capture, which precludes a stop/start I'd presume. So much learning...I love it but finding time is tough...that will change fortunately.
    Thought my RA6 project was going to span years but decided to sell my second house so assuming it goes, ithe RA6 will get done this summer except for detailing the underside perhaps

Glad it is helping. Just entered the world of retirement so have more time to dabble :-)
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've still got 2.5 years to go, which was close enough to justify buying the Goat project. Just got back from signing papers to sell the house, so things are coming along nicely.

BTW, this car came from Queens...bought it the day after that last big snow storm in Feb., drove it on snowy streets with owner crapping his pants. Guess he forgot about traction control, lol.
    Maybe you've heard of JMR garage? its an import speed shop. Bought it from the shop owner.