Thread: 98 wont start after reflash

Potential Tuner

98 injectors stop pulsing after flashing tune

Playing with my tune with the new setup ran it and went to bed. came out in morning with a very minor change to timing table, flashed. Now it cranks and will not fire.

I have done everything below over a weeks time

disconnected the battery for over an hour or over night multiple times
    full read
    full re write
    write calibration from various saved points--all had car running to some degree prior to this condition
    Have fuel pressue
    have spark
    tested every single fuse
    swapped around relays

I have been told if I can read the PCM it is not dead, I have also seen where some have said they have flashed the 98 PCM's and they die.

Any insights on what I should check/do prior to spending money on another PCM

I HAVE BOUGHT A NOID LIGHT AND IT DOES NOT LIGHT UP UPON CRANKING ALL FUSES TEST GOOD. THE IAC TESTER LIGHTS UP BOTH BULBS RED THEN AFTER CRANKING ONE TURNED RED ONE TURNED GREEN.
    REMINDER I DROVE IT IN THE GARAGE. LET IT SIT OVERNIGHT, FLASHED THE PCM AND THEN NO MORE PULSE TO THE INJECTORS. THE GROUNDS TO THE BACK SIDE OF THE DRIVERS HEAD ARE STILL CONNECTED

Thanks
    Eric
    Last edited by gto65lvr; 04-14-2014 at 08:38 PM. Reason: REVISED ACTUAL CONDITION IN TITLE
    98 Formula A4, tick cam 231/234 114+3, LE2 heads, TSP 1 7/8 headers and catted Y,ls6 intake, SVO Red 30#,Yank ss3200,suspension goodies

Tuner
    never really heard this but will be nice if you find a solution or if anybody else has a solution
    Josh Performance Tuning (956)784-0059
    https://www.facebook.com/joshperformancetuning

Potential Tuner
    Revised 1st post. it seems the more I check and read I bricked the PCM. getting code P0601 and one for AC low voltage. WHen turning on the key the fuel pump primes for a split second. when commanded through HPT it primes for almost the normal 3 seconds like it did prior to the flash that fried the PCM

I just remembered that I downloaded, or thought it went successfully 2.24 off HPT site and then made a very minor VE change and re wrote calibration. That is when the fuel pump gave a short thump prime and it would not fire. I have only loaded changes from my original read from my car that I modified and then re flashed onto the PCM.

I am guessing my 98 PCM is fried. I am half tempted to get another 98 as I have flashed mine over 30 times messing with it during various changes I have made to the engine to avoid having to do a wiring re pin. With my luck something will not work after doing it very carefully and then I am even more worse off.

Unless someone has a super idea then I have a bricked PCM>
    Last edited by gto65lvr; 04-14-2014 at 11:03 PM.
    98 Formula A4, tick cam 231/234 114+3, LE2 heads, TSP 1 7/8 headers and catted Y,ls6 intake, SVO Red 30#,Yank ss3200,suspension goodies

Tuner
    In one of my tunes I put in the injector lbs per hr(36 lb Bosch) instead of G per Second which was something like 5.5. mine would crank and crank with no start. after some research I noticed that some tunes use LBs per hr and some use Grams per second, I changed it and it fired up. still not sure how to know which way it should be for a given tune.

Advanced Tuner
    Disable the VATS and try again.