Thread: spark timing issue aussie FG Falcon

Advanced Tuner

spark timing issue aussie FG Falcon

When my FG returns to idle, the spark/ spark source datalog shows the spark going into spark source 9 idle map however the spark dips down to zero and shoots up to around 30 degrees before it settles down. It will also bring up spark source map 2 (borderline spark) momentarily.

See pic of datalog. This causes a momentary unstable idle issue when the car comes to a stop and am wondering if there are hidden maps that could be unlocked to prevent this from happening.

What table determines what spark source is to be used???? Can this table be unlocked???

I notice that the Mustangs have "min spark at idle" which could also help this situation.

The data pic is sitting in Neutral and just jabbing the accelerator for a sec, however it will also do it the same when coasting down to a stop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by turbotrana; 04-09-2014 at 10:05 PM.

Spark source 9 means the PCM is using the idle spark logic. I noticed this week that the Aussie defs were missing some things. I went ahead and added the Spark Idle Control Minimum parameter so if you haven't gotten the latest 2.24, update.

I think what you are seeing is the idle RPM drops below the target and the idle spark control makes a fast correction by ramping the timing up to keep the car from stalling. This is just a guess though, I would need to see more logs.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Eric. I tried the Spark idle control Min. It did help but still the issue.

Can you give us a rundown on how the ECU chooses what maps to run in regards to spark. Are there other tables that determine what spark tables to use? I would have thought that there is maybe a rpm/load table that decides when table 9 (for idle closed loop ) is chosen
    Last edited by turbotrana; 04-11-2014 at 11:22 AM.