Thread: Is VSS needed on a race application

Tuner in Training

Is VSS needed on a race application

I have a built glide in the car with no provisions for this sensor. Is it needed? Ive been making passes with it just unplugged and haven't noticed and performance issues. The car used to have a 4l60e when it was street driven. Any other changes need to be made? The car simply goes 1/8th mile then I cut it off, never any other driving. thanks

its not needed. it just helps with rolling idle/idle cracker for street driven stuff and even then I have tuned some street driven stuff with th400 trannies and done well without it. I do believe there is a retro-fit deal out there to put vss on th400 and glides though.

Tuner in Training
    Good deal thank you!

Advanced Tuner
    I haven't heard of a sensor for th PG. There is one for the TH400. I just bought one.

As was stated, for your use, no need.

My car is a street legal race car. I drive to the track. I am adding it to fix those idle coast down issues mentioned.

Having the mph reading in the data log does an excellent job of showing tire spin too!

Ron
    Last edited by RonSSnova; 04-14-2014 at 05:47 PM.
    Y2K C5 A4 Coupe (10.78 @ 127) Cathedral port 6.2
    S476 L33 5.3 69 Nova 8.76 @ 158 Drive to the track street race car
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

Having the mph reading in the data log does an excellent job of showing tire spin too!
    Well stated! I just was track tuning a car this weekend with a glide and it would definitely been helpful to log wheelspeed too! I am going to see about finding or building something for the glides!

Advanced Tuner
    Judging by the Camaro in your signature, I'm going to guess that machining/fabricating isn't going to be an issue for you!

I installed mine yesterday. Works fine. Now I just need to figure out how to calibrate it. It's not as simple as some posts I've found make it out to be......

Ron
    Y2K C5 A4 Coupe (10.78 @ 127) Cathedral port 6.2
    S476 L33 5.3 69 Nova 8.76 @ 158 Drive to the track street race car
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

you can purchase a hall effect sensor and toothed wheel that bolt up to the pinion.

Matter of fact these are even better: http://www.motorsportsinnovations.co...s/wb_Speed.htm
    *Jeff*
    2002 4dr 2wd Blazer, 06 L33, LS6 cam, built trans, etc.. SOLD
    2008 Tahoe Hybrid 2wd, 6.0L LFA (stock dd)
    1964 Chevelle Malibu 4 door, 2003 LQ4, 06 GTO T56 swap -> https://www.chevelles.com/threads/19...-build.955866/