Thread: Noob tuning help on 5.3!!!

Potential Tuner

Noob tuning help on 5.3!!!

I am battling a fan issue so I can't get any scanner driving data to upload. I am completely new to HPtuners and tuning GM stuff......so please bare with me and be patient. I am trying to tune a 5.3 with an ls6 cam,ls1 manifold, and 60 lb injectors. (I am going to turbo soon but need to run it N/A on these injectors now). I have a 99 truck PCM I am working with (so a 5.3 tune) and I am running this in SD Open Loop. I have a wideband hooked up and gauge to monitor AFR's. I have used the injector scaling spreadsheet to calculate the injector flow rate vs KPA. When I use these numbers ranging from upper 60's to 70's....the car will not run/idle because it is so lean. The stock ecm was set at 21.8 across the board and runs rich. I have it calibrated to be between 29.9 and 32.8 as you can see in my tune. I have read all of the starting to tune stuff but since this is such a radical swap/combo I have in here the tune just seems soooooo jacked up. Looking at the timing tables and all sorts of things it just doesn't look right at all.... Here is a copy of my current tune which is the stock tune that was on this computer with the flow rate adjustments and the changes that I followed to put it in SDOL that I followed from the how-to's on here. Any help is very welcome on where to begin with this. I look forward to getting into tuning this car and I can't wait to get it driving correctly!

Thanks in advance

vettenewtune.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Well I got the fan working now. The transmission works excellent in 1st,2nd and reverse....its only shifting to 3rd and 4th that is messed up. I logged the current gear and it says it shifts but when it hits those gears it almost feels like its just slipping or theres nothing there....kind of the feeling of when a high stall converter is being used. The car still moves in those gears but only if you give it more gas....won't just cruise at low throttle with the converter locked... What can I log with the scanner to see if this is a mechanical problem or an electrical/programming problem?? also it has a 3200 stall converter

would the "perf option" have anything to do with this? Since it was a truck and is set to class 2 because it had a tow mode also and its looking for some input like this? should this be set to "no switch" since its a car? I looked at a few example car tunes and that option is not even available to them
    Last edited by 84lsvette; 04-08-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    What does your fuel system consist of and what pressure are you running?

Ron
    Y2K C5 A4 Coupe (10.78 @ 127) Cathedral port 6.2
    S476 L33 5.3 69 Nova 8.76 @ 158 Drive to the track street race car
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

Potential Tuner
    It has a racetronix 255 lph pump installed in the factory sending unit with 3/8 line to a C5 corvette filter then -6 AN ptfe braided hose up to Speed Inc. rails and siemens deka IV 60lb injectors. So it should be at factory C5 LS1 pressure. I have not had a chance to pressure test it with a gauge yet.... now what's even more concerning is the transmission....kinda hard to go get any good data with the scanner with only 1st and 2nd.....hopefully it is an electronic/programming problem and I don't have to pull the trans out of it.

Tuner
    why would you put an ls1 manifold ??? they pretty much suck get a nnbs intake
    Josh Performance Tuning (956)784-0059
    https://www.facebook.com/joshperformancetuning

Advanced Tuner
    You should measure pressure. Seems wrong that you have to really fudge the injector flow rate to get it to run.
    The PCM was from an auto trans vehicle? I'm assuming it's a 4l60?

Potential Tuner
    I will test the pressure out... Didn't know if another table was skewing it badly or something.....and yes it's a 2wd 4l60e out of a van

Advanced Tuner
    The trans engine and PCM original to each other?
    You have all this in an 84 vette?
    Was the trans working before the swap?

Potential Tuner
    the trans...engine and pcm are all out of different vehicles... yes it is an 84 corvette.... I got the transmission used and it was said to have been tested and working (but we all know how that goes). I want to check all my electric options first before pulling it though. I am hoping that just maybe there's a slight chance that the "perf option" is set to class 2 for vehicles with tow mode and its looking for that input from the steering column and that's maybe just tripping it up...I set it to no switch and will see if that does anything tonight. Now since I got the fan working properly I can go drive and log data and see whats happening when it hits 3/4

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like mine. 5.3, PCM and harness from a 5.7 Camaro, and a th400. Turbo and E85 to confuse me further.....

On your shifting, I seem to remember someone else saying they had to load an operating system for an auto trans car, but they were starting from a PCM for a manual. Even though all the auto trans stuff was present.

I don't know about that switch. My corvette with 4l60 is hard wired in perf mode

Potential Tuner
    alrighty....so I got some more seat time in tonight... I checked for hearing the solenoids and I pretty much could never hear the #3 solenoid click....it has plenty of transmission fluid. it is right on the money in the dipstick. Here's what I noticed after driving it more tonight......1st and 2nd work fantastic still. you hit 3rd and at low throttle the car goes nowhere, you get it up in the rpm band and it'll start to accelerating....when you get to the top of 3rd it won't shift into 4th... under part or WOT. You let off the gas and it'll shift into 4th...... now 4th is the exact opposite. In low rpms it will accelerate and pull alright....when you get into the upper RPM's is when it feels like it starts to "slip" and then the car will just bounce off the rev limiter............I am guessing the trans needs replaced/rebuilt unless there is something electronic I am completely missing. After tonight I am thinking the tranny is just garbage....Here is a video of what it takes to get it even moving in 3rd....(which doesn't go much anyhow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgF-ALyvzt8

Advanced Tuner
    Engine sounds good though....
    Often times a stall converter messes up the shifting. Because it slips.
    There is good info in the trans tuning section here. Some nice spreadsheets to help you dial in gear ratio, shift rpm and mph as well as account for the stall speed. Or maybe you have done that? I noticed 255 mph for the 3-4 wot shift.....

Also might ask on ls1 tech trans section. My good friend Mr. Vedit
    Might be of help

Potential Tuner
    I posted it up on ls1tech....I tried manually selecting gears with the VCM menu and hearing the solenoids click....I only heard 3rd gear click one time out of many times of running through them all........ the 3-4 WOT shift being 255 is fine don't wanna be shifting into overdrive at WOT anyhow.

but on a positive note...the car does sound awesome! video doesn't even do it justice. Sad thing is I have the idle smoothed out and ready to get some histogram logging going on....

Advanced Tuner
    Well, maybe that solenoid is dead?