Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VE table values well over 100

Tuner

VE table values well over 100

I recently upgraded my Corvette by swapping out the stock LS1 with a new Texas-Speed 408. In tuning my VE table I started out seeing numbers from my log file histogram around 30, 40, 50% for my STFTs (LTFTs I turned off). As I work the tune the histogram is getting numbers closer to 0, right now after 3 or 4 iterations they are 0 +/-10% but many of the values are 110 or so in my VE table. My assumption is that is because I simply have a lot more volume in each cylinder than the PCM and thus VE table is expecting, but I did change the General parameters to say its a 408 ci "6.0L". Is this normal / okay or am I needing to change something else? The afr is staying about where is should be for the most part, even when I have added 30% across the entire VE table the wideband seems to read about the same before and after.
    Last edited by animuL; 04-07-2014 at 06:05 PM.
    98 Corvette Coupe - Texas-Speed 408ci iron block, PRC 237cc heads, Ed Curtis Cam 239-247-115 .624-.624

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    maf likely isn't failed.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    maf likely isn't failed.
    Fail is set to 0hz but it is still plugged in.
    98 Corvette Coupe - Texas-Speed 408ci iron block, PRC 237cc heads, Ed Curtis Cam 239-247-115 .624-.624

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    That is only part of the equation as pretty much anyone with any experience tuning SD will tell you. I've seen hundreds of tunes with it set to 0, that doesn't mean the pcm will fall into speed density mode

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Tuner
    That is only part of the equation as pretty much anyone with any experience tuning SD will tell you. I've seen hundreds of tunes with it set to 0, that doesn't mean the pcm will fall into speed density mode
    Okay thanks. I'll start over... again.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    why not post your file so that maybe we can give you some advice...

Tuner
    why not post your file so that maybe we can give you some advice...
    I'm at work and dont have it with me. I can post it once I get home but first I'll probably unplug the MAF and see what it does.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Lol that doesn't exactly always work either to be completely honest with you my friend.

Tuner
    Okay, 2 files attached. "initial" is my stock tune with modifications made based on several threads that I have read, it is not based on any actual tuning of the car. The "in work" file is where I am at after several iterations of adjustments to the VE table to get my STFTs down. I guess the VEs aren't as high as I thought but still many over 100 and some areas the STFTs are still 15%.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by animuL View Post
    Okay, 2 files attached. "initial" is my stock tune with modifications made based on several threads that I have read, it is not based on any actual tuning of the car. The "in work" file is where I am at after several iterations of adjustments to the VE table to get my STFTs down. I guess the VEs aren't as high as I thought but still many over 100 and some areas the STFTs are still 15%.
    Change DTC P0101, 0102 and 0103 to Mil on first error. As Bill said, you haven't failed into SD.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Change DTC P0101, 0102 and 0103 to Mil on first error. As Bill said, you haven't failed into SD.

Ed M
    Quote Originally Posted by animuL View Post
    As Mowtown said, do it like that and leave the SES boxes checked. Your check engine light will come on if the maf is truly failed.
    New to tuning...My eyes hurt from reading so much...
    05 Sierra CCSB/6.0/H-C-I/4l80/Circle-D Multidisc 3400/3:73 gear
    400hp/380tq

Tuner
    Okay, I'll try that out tomorrow and see if the light comes on before I go into adjusting the tune. Thanks!

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    if you will be tuning SD even at WOT I recommend to changing dynamic to disable and change 4000rpm to say 8000
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Don't bother keeping your MIL enabled if you don't want to. just use the scanner to pull your codes. You'll see them pop up once it's failed properly.
    Next tip: the adjustments you make to your primary table while in SD mode are totally ineffective because it's only reading the secondary table. Create a custom histogram for the secondary table, copy and paste it into the primary, interpolate vertically and horizontally in between, hand blend and you'll make the progress you're looking for.

Final tip: Why is your underspeed spark table zero'd out?
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blownbluez06 View Post
    Don't bother keeping your MIL enabled if you don't want to. just use the scanner to pull your codes. You'll see them pop up once it's failed properly.
    Next tip: the adjustments you make to your primary table while in SD mode are totally ineffective because it's only reading the secondary table. Create a custom histogram for the secondary table, copy and paste it into the primary, interpolate vertically and horizontally in between, hand blend and you'll make the progress you're looking for.

Final tip: Why is your underspeed spark table zero'd out?
    I'd have to double check the original tune but I dont recall ever changing the underspeed spark. I did notice it was all 0s and tried entering in 4 for everything to see if it would help with an issue where when I put it in gear it stumbles and sometimes dies. Right after loading that tune it suddenly didn't want to start at all so I just changed it back. Could have been a coincidence?

My plan, unless I am convinced otherwise, was to always run the car in sd mode. Reason is that I have read a properly done sd tune works as good as or better than a maf tune especially for cammed cars because the changes in the tune resulting from maf readings don't happen as fast as the programmed in ve numbers. Then the other reason is that a mafless setup is a little cleaner and more simple, not to mention cheaper when I upgrade to a 102mm intake. Is this bad info? Is it better to run with the MAF? If it uses the secondary table when in sd mode does it use the primary in conjunction with the maf tables in regular maf mode?

BTW this car is not a race car. I drive it when the weather is nice to work and on the weekends it sees maybe 3k miles a year. Having said that, I do want to take it to the track every once in a while after its properly tuned and I do want it to have the manners of a fairly stock car. Also its naturally aspirated and runs on 91.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If you plan on tuning in speed density you might consider reading the speed density tuning how to in the help file www.hptuners.com/help its a really good starting point and you probably wouldn't have made the original post if you had used it as such

Tuner
    If you plan on tuning in speed density you might consider reading the speed density tuning how to in the help file www.hptuners.com/help its a really good starting point and you probably wouldn't have made the original post if you had used it as such
    Oh yeah, I remember reading that before. I'll try this again.

Tuner
    I took my initial tune from the above post and started following the SD Tuning guide in the Help section. It did throw the P0103 MAF code right away and I just let it idle up to temp. Once the car got up to around 180 it started stumbling bad, the dic displayed "Reduced Engine Power", and the car died. I checked the codes and found a P1514 - Airflow to TP Sensor Correlation High. I clear it and it comes right back and the car wont stay running. I have attached the tune and log file for reference. FWIW I might note that this is has an electronic throttle.

EDIT: I noticed from the log file that the first thing to go haywire was the timing dropped to nothing. I tried setting the timing at a constant 27° but it did no good, it still throws the 1514 code instantly and persistently and barely idles.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by animuL; 04-08-2014 at 06:28 PM.

You are missing your IAT input (see -38 degrees)...did you unplug the MAF? Need this input.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]