Thread: 55 Belair with turbo need injector help

Advanced Tuner

55 Belair with turbo need injector help

I am using a 05 4.8L and just finished a turbo build on it I had it running and driving very good on the stock injectors but need more to keep from maxing duty cycle. I bought a set of seimens 60lb and installed them tonight. I watched the Gregg banish tuning dvd again while I was changing injector data and I am lost car started right up. But something is way off the warmer it gets right at the end of this log when I shut it down you can see it surging real bad. I did a log right before I removed the injectors so I can compare lambda so everything else in the tune should be close. But Lambda is way different. The first log is when I let it warm up before I swaped injectors, second is with injectors in. Then also a copy of my tune please help me try to figure out what I have got way wrong here. I also am using a 04 intake so it has return and vacuum frp on the rail.

Thanks In Advance
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by badbowtie; 04-06-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Okay well allot more searching I think I figured it out. Of course it is raining today so I don't even get to try it out but I didn't flat line the flow rate since I have vacuum frp.
    Here is the tune and it is idling correct know.

Set the timing up something like this. May want to set PE in the 2400 to 4000RPM to 1.225. Just want to try and keep it on the safe side. How much boost are you going to run? What size MAF and tubing do have?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    I am only planning on running about 8psi. I am going change timing table right know I also will change the Pe stuff. I am running the stock maf and I am running 3" intercooler piping from turbo to intercooler and up to maf then goes to 4" into intake. I have went ahead and made all the changes you suggested. Thanks

Tuner
    Why does it idle so low?

Advanced Tuner
    never really seen a reason to change it that is what the stock idle table always has been am I missing something for a reason to bring it up.

Advanced Tuner
    I got out last night and did some driving and put about 90 miles on it and everything was running great. I went back out this morning and cruised about 20 miles and parked for about 3 hours and got back in and cruised about 15 miles back to town and stopped at bank sitting in the drive thru about 3-5 minutes and all of sudden it just died. I hit the key and it restarted I went a head and came home pulled up to garage and stopped and let it idle about 2 minutes parked it started to jump all over and surge again. I shut it off and started laptop back up and did a log you can see when I started back up it was already a tad lean and just got worse till it started surging around again. I have no clue what is going on.
    Last edited by badbowtie; 04-09-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Okay well I played with it some more tonight and it seems like it is running fine till it gets warm then while sitting and idling for a couple minutes it seems to start to go lean.
    I also have to look into while cruising down the road steady state and lift my foot a little on the road for a turn on state route or down a hill it goes really rich like 11.00 till I easy back on throttle. Unless it has to do with the long term and short terms are all turned off to tune maf.
    Last edited by badbowtie; 04-09-2014 at 06:19 PM.

flow rate vs kpa should be the same # in every cell (74.8). your probably heat soaking the iat. where is the maf?
    04 6.0 silvy china turbo
    87 gn
    03 stroker evo ww
    00 ss camaro

Advanced Tuner
    So the injector flow rate should be 74.8 not 72.6? I also don't think it is a heat soak issue because the other day before I put the injectors in was still running the stock injectors. It never did this it would run and idle all day long. That is why I think it is something in the injector table stuff and not sure about the short pulse adder tables or min injector pulse table.

short or long 60s. pulse adder and voltage tables look goofy too. when you switch to a return rail your flow rate delta no longer changes due to manifold pressure. it sounds like heatsoak. you can check by getting it to present the condition and log fuel trims. then put it in open loop and see if it starts wandering and surging again.
    Last edited by robbyredneck; 04-11-2014 at 07:33 AM.
    04 6.0 silvy china turbo
    87 gn
    03 stroker evo ww
    00 ss camaro

Advanced Tuner
    They are long 60's and I am not having success finding the correct info for pulse adder and voltage tables I took the info from Gregg banish data sheet. So you think I should still switch flow rate to 74.8 not 72.6
    Last edited by badbowtie; 04-10-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Have you looked into some of the basic things. I take it that the fpr is OEM. Put a fuel pressure gage on it,let it run and see what you get when it stalls out. Try it with vacuum on the fpr and off. How much of the MAF have you retuned with the 60's in?

Advanced Tuner
    I went ahead last night and turned all the short and long terms back on and see what happened I started it up and let it get up to temp and it stayed idling great no stalls. I have done some maf tuning with the maf already which is what I was doing when realized it would not idle long when warmed up. I also changed the default injector pulse to match the min injector pulse. It is the oem fpr and I am going try to do some more maf tuning this weekend and see how it does then if does act up again I will start with fuel pressure. I also am trying to decide since I am only running 5 psi of boost should I stay maf or should I change to 2 bar and try to tune that way the only thing I read is it is harder. I also think this is the right 2 bar sensor I need correct? 12580698

Before you start the OLMAF tuning agin,look at your trims now and see how much there adding. Use this as a starting point for adding to the MAF idle cells for OLMAF. The MAF should be good for 5# of boost. Just keep an eye on the 12,000 HZ limit, If you do go higher on boost and need to go SD,Pm DSteck and see if he has any 2.5 Map sensor on hand. I will look in a little bit,but you may have 3bar OS as well. If Dave is out of them,this 2bar sensor will work just fine up two 14.5# of boost.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by c.u; 04-11-2014 at 10:17 PM.