Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to tuning the new 5.0's, Have some question on tuning school.

New to tuning the new 5.0's, Have some question on tuning school.

Hi guys, I been tuning Gm vehicles for the past 8/9 years and for the past years I been wanting to start tuning the 5.0's, I loved this cars the power they have and can make with basic bolt ons.

I have read and search around and seen that the tuning school have a book for it, I would like to buy the book and was wondering if it will help me learn on how to tune this new 5.0's.

I just don't want to buy it and just lave it there. Who have bought the book and have learn to tune them from a bolt on car to boost? How difficult or easy it is?

Advanced Tuner
    IF you understand how tuning works, which I assume you do since you have been doing it for almost 10 years, then you can do with out the book and only go off the knowledge already found on the forum. Learn how to calibrate the MAF and watch the mapped points to see how they work and that will be enough to get you started. Best way to learn is to log fuel source, torque source, throttle source, VCT source, and spark source. This will tell you what maps are being used and from them you found those maps and make your adjustments. You also want to log the weights of all the maps. You can find them by searching "mapped point" in the scanner, 11-14 will have like 15 of them, 15+ will have about 33 of them.

This is of course a over simplification of how to tune a coyote, there is more to do it, but a lot of the info is already in a thread somewhere in this sub forum

Those are the question I have, understanding the MAF fixing the fuel, timing the map points the rest have to be easy just figuring it out.

What airfuel they like and timing they like?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by =fast= View Post
    Those are the question I have, understanding the MAF fixing the fuel, timing the map points the rest have to be easy just figuring it out.

What airfuel they like and timing they like?
    There are a lot of modifiers and multipliers at play when you are talking about spark timing. It would best to go up 1-2* at a time on the base map if you don't know how to mo defy the modidiers/multipliers.

.83 lambda on 93 octane 28* of spark advance(cat less)
    .85 lambda on e85/100+octane with 30-32* of spark advance(cat less)

Now those are what I usually see when tuning coyotes, you won't how ever go into the spark map and plug in 28* to get 28* because doing so will prob make the car try and get 34* and you'll end up with KR. It is best to log it on the stock values to see what spark values you are getting and then adding to the OP map from there, or what ever map the mapped weights show is being used at the time you want to add the spark.

You can make it easier by zeroing out the lambda modifier for the .82 lambda high rpm cells and the IAT and ECT modifiers for the same high rpm areas, then from there you can only work on your maps, but I would recommend logging the stock tune and learning how everything works together first.

As you add timing and gain power you are likely to hit Trans Trunc, Cylinder Pressure, and Preignition limit's, if you do, you can then go into those tables to raise their values in order to not have them limit you anymore.

I will check it out, what tables should I add on scanner, or does the one on (stock) already have a good set up?

Advanced Tuner
    I will check it out, what tables should I add on scanner, or does the one on (stock) already have a good set up?

I posted these a while back but they should still work.

Channels:
    channels.png
    channels2.png

You should be able to open this channel file in the scanner to get them all to populate. From there you can just set up your histograms/graphs how ever you want them
    coyote.Channels.xml

Here is how I set up my graph
    histo.png

Before your post I read a file from a fried 2011 5.0 took it for a drive just some basic tables since it was set up for the GM. Look trough he's file but it's already tune just want t to see the tables. I would set up my tables like yours to take a look at it. I'll post the log and file in a few minutes.

Here's a log of a 2011 5.0, Boss intake, jlt cold air intake, x pipe with pypes m80 resonators and muffler delete on 93 octane.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Here's a log of a 2011 5.0, Boss intake, jlt cold air intake, x pipe with pypes m80 resonators and muffler delete on 93 octane.
    Few things:

- you need to log ALL the channels I posted
    - Your MAF is not calibrated at all during DD, LTFT was -15 almost the entire time, -30 in other instances

What you need to do:
    - Set up your channels
    - Calibrate the MAF

After that add more spark to your OP map, KR was adding 3* and you only saw 21* total so you should be good to add those 3* yourself to see how much more you do from there. For catted cars they usually end up doing 24-25*, catless usually end up in the 28 range.

This is a mail tune I have the file I was going trough it to see tables. So I can add more spark on the OP? I've seen that they add timing from the OP map what the map points do?

When I calibrate the MAF on the LS I have the scanner set up for the break points and the file are on Hz I see that this one its on periods.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    You log STFT+LTFT against MAF period(column), leave the row empty and don't pick a PID. Then you can copy and then paste special by percentage those values into your MAF period table under airflow. This will help you calibrate it. Coyotes have factory widebands so calibrating the MAF is as easy as copy and paste. I'll post an example in bit.

Your histogram should look like this. you want to copy the values from MAF period in the tune and plug them in on the histogram to the trim values populate for the right cell.

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 9.37.25 PM.png <<< Copy the X values and paste them into the hisogram under MAF period
    Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 2.51.58 PM.png <<<Paste those values you copied above here under the row axis(maf period)
    Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 9.36.31 PM.png <<this is what it will look like when it's populated, you would highlight the entire column, then copy it and go into your MAF airflow table(first pic), highlight the whole thing and right click and pick Paste Special>by percentage. Once you have it run the +/-5% you can start using paste by percentage half to avoid making too much of a change to where you end up chasing your own tail

I set up the scanner, I been busy working haven't got time to test it.
    What I'm going to do it's license my friends car and tune it, will calibrate the MAF.

On the graph display I only see Mass Airflow Sensor 1 period and 2 period I try both and it did not work cannot log STF-LTFT against MAF.

I set up the channels I'm missing some on the chart vs time WB1 WB2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    On the graph display I only see Mass Airflow Sensor 1 period and 2 period I try both and it did not work cannot log STF-LTFT against MAF.

I set up the channels I'm missing some on the chart vs time WB1 WB2.
    You have to use MAF sensor period, there is no 1 or 2 after it, my screenshot shows the correct PID. You also want to make sure that MAF Period is being logged as a channel. If it's not being logged as a channel it will not work in histogram or in charts

Got it, I don't how i missed it i looked like 10 times earlier and the only one showing was 1 and 2 period.

It works now I try it on the car, tomorrow if I have time I will calibrate the MAF on this car.

Lol that was the simplest explanation I've read. I probably learned a lot more in 10mins of reading this thread than reading the book for a couple of hrs.

Thanks

Yes, learn a lot here Just confuse since this past years using the scanner and editor for GM vehicles and for the first time looking at the Ford file and setting up
    The scanner.

Advanced Tuner
    how do you go about calibrating the maf?

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    ^ Trims and using the MAF period/Frequency adjust based on logged

these cars 2011+ operate in closed loop under all conditions
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    I have the ltft disabled in the tune on my car so how could I go about logging it and getting the correct info?
    Last edited by Bill88stang; 04-10-2018 at 09:09 AM.