Thread: 5.3 turbo, cam, 317 heads, no power under load

Potential Tuner

5.3 turbo, cam, 317 heads, no power under load

im trying to tune for the first time on my 5.3 with a remote mount 70mm turbo, comp turbo cam, 317 heads, ls3 map, ls7 throttle body,42lb injectors.

I have a great start up and idle but if I put it in gear and try to drive it will bogg out on me

please help thank

p.s. I have searched these theads for three months trying to decipher the da vinci code, some luck which has gotten me this far
    thanks

Senior Tuner
    Why are you not running a custom operating system? LS3 map is not capable of reading boost. Make a choice, buy a multiple bar map sensor(2bar cobalt ss sensor would likely work well for you) and tune a 2 bar setup or switch to maf only tune and tune your maf(less desirable). Next, what injectors specificly are you running as your data does not look correct. Do you have a wideband?

Potential Tuner
    I started with tuning before I had a turbo and don't fully understand what I need to change for the different map sensors in HP tuners. Also the holley mid ram intake has a ls3 type map sensor bung. The one screw hole type. I still havent adjusted for the swap from my truck sensor to ls3. If someone knows of another map sensor with the same connections, and possibly even has the info for the sensor I would be greatfull and buy it.

I'm just finishing my set up and don't have a wideband yet.

I'm using holley 42lb injectors part # 522-428
    They have a table for volts offset but it doesn't step every .5 like HP tuners does so I tryed to enter the data that matched up with the .5 volt increment and attempted to smooth between sections.

And worst case... if a Maf only tune would get me running for now I would be great full. I'm not sure of how this works though. Thanks again for the help.

Senior Tuner
    It's going to to be tough working with those injectors as they don't have required data available. You have entered them as 42#, but that is there flow rating at 43 psi. What are you running for fuel pressure regulator? Is it boost referanced? If your still at stock fuel pressure those injectors are going to be a bit better than 50#. There is a conversion spreadsheet on here you can download to get correct ifr conversion.
    You need a wideband, no ifs or buts. Might as well park it till you get one or you will blow it up.
    There are how too files at top of section on applying custom operating systems and entering data. Quick google will tell you right sensor and data for it.
    I will modify your file to be maf only and repost later, but I don't recommend this path. Buy a wideband and map and you will be happier in the long run.

Potential Tuner
    I really do appreciate the help with the tune. I have to move out in a week. hopefull not to tow the beast.

maybe due to the fact the 317s on a 5.3 lowers ur compression ratio down into the 8s

defenitely should get a 2 bar OS and bigger injectors.
    Last edited by prostreet1967; 04-02-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Senior Tuner
    You did not answer about regulator type. This file assumes boost referanced regulator. This is by no means tuned, just some adjusted settings that should have you running a little better. This is setup for maf mode, will ignore map. Find a how to on adjusting maf with narrow bands. This can only be done in closed loop, do not try any wot stuff.