Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: LNF PID Tables

I want to play with ethanol, but it's not legal in SCCA. Something about a turbo and too much power something something. So, I'm stuck on 110 octane for now. Still great torque without the extra O's.

Advanced Tuner
    It does scream. Wish I had a dyno within 200 miles of me but I don't. Runs 4.4 (4.2 sea level) 60-100 and 8.1 (7.7 SL) 40-115. It's plenty fast right now but there's still quite a bit more in it. It really loves the E blended fuel. I have some leaded 112 left over that I used to use in my aircooled Speedster but I use that in the S&S chopper now.

I've read just about everything GMTech has posted several times and agree that he is one intelligent and talented individual. His posts have really helped me a LOT. His newest SKY creation is incredible to say the least and I would love to go for a ride in that beast. The quality of the work that went into it looks like something that would come straight out of the factory or even better.
    Last edited by JimmyS; 10-17-2014 at 06:34 PM.

He's still working out some kinks, but I got to see him dyno it at the last Cars & Coffee at Club Auto Sport. As amazing as the swap is, the other fab work is phenomenal. Better than factory quality. Looks like it was a GM option inside and out.

http://www.virtualdyno.net/

Advanced Tuner
    I'll have to play with the virtual dyno on Monday as it currently shows that the car is making 1772hp and 2142lb-ft which seems just a little high to me.... HEHE - and that's after smoothing.

To be correct you HAVE to do a pull on flat ground. 4th gear 1:1 most accurate. I had to create custom car to make sure it was correct. You prob have several things off like 0 lb for vehicle weight lol

Because a dyno simple calculates from provided data, if you enter the weather and car info correctly it can be pretty accurate. We confirmed this by doing a pull with a Mazdaspeed 3 10 min before dynoing it. Horsepower and torque were within 1 each.

Make sure to also enter temp and baro

Advanced Tuner
    I entered everything that needed info. Final drive, weight, baro, temp, tire height, my weight, etc. Mine is an auto trans so I selected 4th gear with a final drive ratio of 3.73. I've literally done hundreds of pulls and they are all on flat ground and all are in the exact same area every single time. That's how I know whether or not I'm making progress or not and I keep a spreadsheet so I'll know when I made my best pulls.

I keep a track of 40-112, 52-112, 60-100, 79-99, 78-98, 76-96, 75-95, 71-91, 68-88, 60-80, 40-60 and 40-70 times along. I've tracked them like this since I started tuning with HP Tuners.
    Last edited by JimmyS; 10-18-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    1425whp and 1403tq on my last file loaded. Deduct 1000 and it's probably close to actual for a Dynojet.

I've outrun new Camaro SS's, Challenger 392's and C6's by quite a few car lengths to 120mph so I feel pretty comfortable that it's making somewhere close to 400whp give or take and still has room for more.

Try creating a custom car. Thats what I had to do.

I measured results the same way as you before playing with virtual dyno

Advanced Tuner
    After creating a custom car, it shows 418whp and 394wtq.

Tuner
    Looks like I need to pick up virtual dyno...
    '07 Solstice GXP. Mods - Tune, IC, CP, catless DP, ported intake manifold, ported TB, ported Head on the intake side, catback, K&N CAI, LV front brace, WERKS backbone, HPS pads up front, and HP+ pads in the read.

Advanced Tuner
    http://www.virtualdyno.net/

There ya go

Are you holding boost to redline now or still having the problem of it dropping off?
    Last edited by JimmyS; 10-22-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Tuner
    cooo, thanks!
    '07 Solstice GXP. Mods - Tune, IC, CP, catless DP, ported intake manifold, ported TB, ported Head on the intake side, catback, K&N CAI, LV front brace, WERKS backbone, HPS pads up front, and HP+ pads in the read.

Tuner
    Oh, it is still dropping off pretty solidly on me after 5000 rpm or so. Not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post
    After creating a custom car, it shows 418whp and 394wtq.
    What gear are you doing your pulls in? Got all your gear ratios correct and on flat ground? I found without everything really dialed it was easy to make it think I was driving a v16

Advanced Tuner
    That was done with a 3rd gear pull which is a 1.60 gear ratio and smoothing set to 1. With smoothing set to 0, it shows 576whp. If I used 4th gear which is a 1.00 gear ratio, it shows 1105whp and 1088wtq smoothed to 1 and smoothed to 0 shows 1517whp and 1521wtq....

My car is a 5 speed auto with a 3.73 final drive ratio. All pulls done on such a flat ground that you can just about see the curvature of the Earth. Since I've been upgrading and tuning the car, I've used the same section of road(s) to base my improvements on. I typically run 4 pulls each time and they are all in the same spot every time - 2 pulls going one direction and 2 pulls in the opposite direction on the same stretch of road.

In all honesty I've never been concerned with dyno numbers. I like to go fast and be safe about doing it. We don't have any tracks around here and I don't race in town on the city streets so when someone wants to run, I ask them to head to a safe place where we can run em without the risk of getting arrested for doing something stupid. Usually works 3 out of 5 times as some people like to race in front of businesses and peoples homes but I'm not one of em.

It's a fun tool when it's working. Can you post a log of your pull? I want to plug it in to what I have set up and see if it generates the same numbers. Also temp/baro and weight of car & you

Advanced Tuner
    Hopefully I attached it correctly. It's a 30 minute log that I was working on with the last tuner so it's kind of long. I converted it to .csv for VirtualDyno and then copied and pasted one of the pulls into a smaller file so it wouldn't have to screen through the entire 30 minutes. There's a good long pull starting at 15:30 in this log.

Temp was 65, barometer was 29.5, car weight is 2950 and my weight is 190 and I need to lose 10 pounds but don't see that happening with the holidays around the corner.

I used the Solstice as the base for my custom car since it had the majority of the numbers I needed and then changed the transmission, final drive ratio and weight to match my setup. Let me know what you get from VD. (Other than itching....)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Roger that =). I do the same and just cut/paste from the pull

Advanced Tuner
    I think I'm getting a better grasp of VD now and it is a nice tool. I took my .csv file from earlier and split the pulls between 3rd and 4th gears. Before I had the entire pull loaded into VD which is why I was getting higher readings. Now with my file set for each gear, it's more realistic. On a 3rd gear pull, it shows 413whp/344wtq and on 4th gear, it shows 372whp/339wtq.

This seems more realistic as I've seen dyno's of other Kappa setups running more boost and timing than I am that are netting just over 410/380 running E47.

With my current tune, I can run another 1.5 degrees of timing and another psi on the E28 that I'm running but I've got too much going on in my life at this point in time to even think of farting around with any more tuning. Bumping my fuel to E47 and tossing another couple psi and a few more degrees of timing will put me over 400whp in 4th gear which I will do down the road but for now I'm enjoying the car as it is.