Thread: Ford 460 in a 2005 Mustang

Potential Tuner

Ford 460 in a 2005 Mustang

I am looking into installing a big block Ford in a 2005 Mustang. I would like to keep the existing EFI. Can I make the existing EFI work? The main items I am unsure of are the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. Will aftermarket ones work?

I live in the Phoneix Arizona area so the ODB2 port will have to work to pass emissions.

Potential Tuner
    I'm sure it could but also most of the emissions monitors need to pass for emissions in Phoenix, not worth it IMO. If anything I'd go Coyote. I'm also in the Phoenix area and could help with that. If you have another vehicle you can insure the 2005 as a collector and be emissions exempt.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by makeitmodular View Post
    I'm sure it could but also most of the emissions monitors need to pass for emissions in Phoenix, not worth it IMO. If anything I'd go Coyote. I'm also in the Phoenix area and could help with that. If you have another vehicle you can insure the 2005 as a collector and be emissions exempt.
    I already have the big block and prefer it over the small block so the Coyote is out. I do not have the car yet, I would prefer the 2005 over an older one, that is why I was asking about a 2005. I could get a 1997 or older and get be emission exempt as a classic car and use a Holley or some other aftermarket fuel injection. The aftermarket setups are expensive, another reason I would prefer the stock EFI.

They make aftermarket crank and cam sensors, I just can't seem to find anyone who knows if they will work with the a stock Ford EFI. You would think someone has tried this.

Advanced Tuner
    no problem efi is simple enough

only issue with emissions may be mechanical though as the 460 is a polluter compared to the 3v
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/