Thread: 1998 Chevy Truck - Disable Passlock/VATS?

1998 Chevy Truck - Disable Passlock/VATS?

I hate to make a new thread as there are hundreds asking the same thing but different vehicles and different answers.

I have a 1998 Chevy truck with the Vortec 5.7

I guess it's anti-theft system is the Passlock or Passkey that will kill the engine 1 second after starting unless you do the re-learn procedure. (Key on for 15 minutes, off, key on for 15 minutes, etc)

I want to get rid of this. Do i just change VATS to "Disable" under system or do I need to do anything else with the theft related DTC's? At the same time I don't want the security light staring me in the face.

Thanks!

Just change the VATS to disable will allow the engine to stay running with a VATS issue. But the security light will still come on. You will need to diagnose the VATS system.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Just change the VATS to disable will allow the engine to stay running with a VATS issue. But the security light will still come on. You will need to diagnose the VATS system.
    That's kind of what I figured. I was more worried about getting stuck somewhere because the truck won't stay running. I had the battery disconnected for a few days while I was working on it, put it all back together and that's how I learned about the passlock setup.

So I assume everything with the security system is still working normal behind the scenes, disabling VATS just keeps it from killing the engine.