Thread: lnf and random kr

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar

lnf and random kr

i am posting this to try and help everyone understand why they are getting random real kr in their lnf's.
    this is most likely going to be a long first post read so have some beers ready to help you make it through.

The LNF is an amazing motor and i enjoy building them as much as i like to ram them full of absurd amounts of boost and hope they hold together but as we know the biggest downfall to this engine combination is the ECU.
    First lets explore how most of the operations are tracked and controlled by the Bosch E69.
    Torque Modeling is the name of this game and to do so we monitor a variety of inputs to help perform a calculation which allows us to see the load in a percentage. This output result is called calculated load and it is derived from sensor input data rather than a properly calibrated testing rig of the engine flywheel or vehicle chassis style.

Calculated Load drives the x axis on darn near 90% of the tables we see in the E69 to date. The axis at its longest form is only 14 cells long and at its highest value only reaches 210% load. When you raise the boost what happens? come on booster were not stupid the load goes up! Fantastic! people here listen very well from what was started in 08, makes helping everyone that much better. Anyways, back on track you will all notice that around 18 psi or sooner in some bolted on cars the calculated load exceeds 210% load.... wait if it exceeded the axis labels what happened? OH your catching on now! The axis labels in some E69 Series are editable which is good for you guys with pure race motors because you can adjust those axis labels to help you make adjustments in the higher load ranges where your more worried about controlling the engine for sustained/long abuse. Booster...Why did you not say its good for us daily guys too? Well its an easy answer, in one word form its "Clarity". The more axis plots you have the more clear a larger selection of incoming data will be simply because you can monitor more points along the way. This is why Motec/Haltech/Big Stuff/Mega Squirt are all pushing to or have passed the 16 x 16 axis plot limit. The more power you make chances are the larger your sensor ranges will become..if you only get 5 plots and you have to read from 0-200% then you can only adjust for 40% load shifts while the computer is left to calculate everything in-between. now going to the LNF E69 we get 14 cells with a maximum of the factory limit 210% that leaves you with an even spread of ~15%. now most people here pushing the engine to its limits have been able to touch 300% load ranges, and that puts you guys with a spread of 21%. because you are now leaving the computer to figure out the in-between for a larger gap your clarity has dropped.

With clarity explained this is where you guys run into the real random kr issue and that is you don't re-adjust your axis to allow for covering the new maximum range of your setup. everyone tunes to the factory axis plots and thats great but when you go massive turbo and hit 350% load you are leaving the computer to calculate and adjust on its owns for a 140% range of load. Where is its base values to help get it on point? How off are the trims from run to run as you troll through that un-plotted range?

But Booster i dyno tuned my car and its was perfect and now its not happy on the road, or vice verse, i tuned on the street and now its in limp mode on the dyno whats happening?

I will tell you all once here, right now... You have exceeded the max limit of your ecu factory axis capabilities and left the ecu to calculate the off the map stuff by using the last known plot that exists on the chart. in doing this you can achieve very similar loads on same day street runs and especially on a dyno that is designed to allow a rate of acceleration. Now that you have tuned the last cells on the table to match these conditions you take your vehicle back to the street or put in on the dyno after butt dyno'ing and end up running through a different load than you previously encountered. now the last cell plotted have to be changed again to meet the new environmental changes causing different load results.

The answer:
    Changing your axis values to cover that uncharted range will allow you to tune for both conditions. im not saying make your tune like mine but this is what i do for race setups. in order to cover more load varying conditions in the high load range i leave fewer low load cells on the table usually 20% and 50% then i immediately start at 100% then evenly space them out till i hit the max capable load for the setup. ( you will not know this cap based off of added on parts. it will take you run after run raising the power limits and seeing how high the calculated load goes to find the proper max load value) for example though we will say max load is 300%. i just used 3 columns to get me to 100 so now i only have 11 left to plot in so (300-100)/11= ~18 so plot it all out. 20,50,100,118,136,154,172,190,208,226,244,262,280, 300 now yeah i know it wasnt perfect so the gap between the last two plot points was a little more than the rest but it is only 2% which is small compared to not having any coverage there. now as i tune it i will fall into ranges that allow me to cover everything i need to helping to eliminate false and real random kr. Varying load without coverage is the number 1 lead to LNF engine failure under high load conditions.

The only way to get enough clarity to include daily driving in a high power setup would be to expand the max allowable amount of plots on the axis. Since the only way to do this is to run an M1 ECU for around 6,000$ before installation and tuning the majority of us are left to the current options that we have available and as of now its re-labeling your plots.

This is going to be a massive overhaul compared to the well i just want to raise the power some tunes that have been getting performed but due to lack of people consistently verifying the running operation of their vehicles i was left no choice but to put this out in an attempt to help prevent a few more motors from becoming recycled material.

I will answer as many questions that i can but this should at least get the questions back out to the public for review rather than staying locked in our heads.

Alex
    CSSOB
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner
    Nice writeup... I'll hafta keep it in mind when I hit the dyno on June 1st.. wondering if I should increase my loads now or leave as is.. I have it turned down to about 26.4psi iirc on my fully bolted Zfr. I don't see Kr at Wot, unless I'm on straight pump but it's only a couple of cells with no more than 3ยบ if even that.. I usually run octane boost anyways so it's all 0's with that.
    Btw, what's the safe limit of boost to run on the stock engine? I kinda figured 26 or 27 would be the high limit, but I'm not sure.. don't really want to overdo it even though I could boost another 5 psi as is.

26 is where I stop on factory motors. Depends on how long you want it to last. Forever-22 a few years-24-26 I expect a year or less 27-30 even with extreme intake cooling devices. Pistons aren't as great as people think.

Tuner
    Rod and piston upgrade good enough for going higher, to say 29-31? Wiseco's and not sure on rods.. there's quite a few options.. dunno which is best :/ She runs fine at the 26psi but it's settled to 24 lately anyways.. just changed my plugs a week ago to 1 step cooler instead of the 2 steps that I was using.. lost a tad bit of power and a couple psi I think but runs fine otherwise.. it's still -15 here so it's not like I can really play with anything yet HATE this fkn weather!

Rods and pistons will take 30. I've pushed them to 60 psi like zzp has but life deteriorates quickly over around 35. 32 I'd max I run most built engine

Tuner
    I guess another question would be which tables would I be changing load in? All of them that have load, or for example, just the MS OS and Opt Tq tables? I was thinkin about doing this, but then when I realized it, if I changed the DAL table loads, I'd hafta change the entire DAL table as well lol.. Basically, writing an entirely new tune from scratch so before I go destroying a year's worth of work, I thought I'd ask first :P

you change 1 you change all. this is scaling for the lnf
    you can interpolate your data to get great starting values for the new axis markers
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner
    Ok Ouch Damn LoL Looks like I have a lot more work to do now :P
    I changed a few of my Histograms to see where it's at and it's going as high as 280 at times... I'm only running 24psi currently but it always seems to take a bit of time for the ecm to "learn" the tune and then it'll boost 25.5psi so it's not far off. The 280 loads from what I've seen are due to wheelspin.. always seems to increase the boost when the tires light up.. I'm guessing that the Ecm is trying to get that extra torque for the requested amount of go but with wheelspin it's not going so it adds more? Haha.. that's my theory anyways cuz when it has traction, it's fine.. doesn't exceed 26psi anywhere.

Tuner
    I just tried to change the Maf Base Table and it maxes out to 191.. and Dal won't exceed 100; not sure I wanna screw around with cam tables in areas unplotted/uncharted by anybody else so this basically leads me to MS and OS tables only or is there something I'm missing? No offense, but it almost seems pointless unless I'm boosting closer to 30psi or higher and I just finished re-doing my OS tables according to another thread lol.. I have no intentions of going that high until I have a built engine, or at the very least, rods/pistons/neutral shafts, then I may push it to the limits or very close to it. And I don't interpolate, I usually calculate stuff on my own and make it smooth manually.. none of that auto shit works properly lol..
    So anyway, if it's just the spark tables that get adjusted, should I do it? Is it really a safety concern as far as the engine is concerned or is the ecm doing it's job correctly anyways? I'm pretty sure it's calculating above the 200 load as it is, but I could be wrong. According to the log, the timing is the same at 240 load as I commanded it at 200, so it should be fine anyways, shouldn't it? Just asking :P

Advanced Tuner
    To be honest this shouldn't be a you have to do this. Some of these tables will not be necessary unless your trying to affect things differently. You need to base your tables on what your doing and seeing to make sure everything works together and you see the results you want and or can change things accordingly without affecting more then needs to be effected.

Advanced Tuner
    CSSOB is simply showing that you could have KR at 250 load and higher but see none below and when you change a table that maxes out at 100 load to help fight that then all you did was affect your performance from 100 load to 250 load. A lot of my tunes have changes based specifically towards loads.

Tuner
    I got a whole bunch of 0's on my logs yesterday n today... the only Kr is between 30 and 60 load and 875 to 2700 rpm

Advanced Tuner
    I would need to see your tune to know why your seeing knock there. A lot of different things can cause it.

Also for everyone:
    Not all tables go out to the max value. I have set some out and they don't actually operate that high. Just a heads up to check it in your logs.