Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LNF Engine Braking

Advanced Tuner
    DrJones you may try Tip In Limiting to achieve your goals. This is just a guess as I have mine disabled since I have no desire to limit. If you look at the first MULT Table it will show pedal position vs Engine Speed RPM. You could probably change Pedal Position to 0 for your Row Axis and go from there. If you have this disabled you will need to fine tune the other tables so your still acquiring max. It may let you change the Row Axis to 0 but it may not actually command based off of that. I had that issue with the Idle Tables. I tried raising the limits based off of engine coolant (the table will let me go as high as 143) but anything above 70 I believe it would not do what was commanded. Not sure if this will actually do what your looking for but it may be worth giving a try. Now I may actually play with this table since I haven't yet.

Advanced Tuner
    I have some changes to those tables right now that I will try out as soon as I can and will update back for you DrJones. I'll try it out on my way to work today and let you know.

Exactly what MikeM173 said.

Based on your turbo, you will have different values. I've been studying the effects on a stock turbo while he's been testing with an aftermarket.

I've tested the limits of the prop table. Absolutely no reason to go much higher for spool. Currently on the stock turbo my spool times are 0.5sec from 0-20 psi flooring it in the 3k range. This is the limit of spool time on the stock turbo. So, there is no need to bump the prop gain any higher. Doing so only creates an on/off boost response when rolling from 0-100% pedal.

After several days of track testing, keeping each table a single value will give you a very linear feel. There is zero boost ramp control in the DAL if you set and forget it. Jacking the numbers really high indirectly affects boost and ramp, but in the wrong method. This causes other tables to respond for boost but hurts the linear feel and driveability in part throttle situations.

Mike - after another track day fine tuning for me you may be surprised. I believe the gain table values are irrespective of turbo. There will be some fine tuning based on larger turbo, single vs dual scroll, etc to match its spool characteristics. But, my prop gain values are actually lower than yours now. I keep telling you to let me see that tune!

Another note - DAL isn't the sole source of everything. All the tables work in conjunction with each other. It's all the untouched tables which directly control the properties that others have said couldn't be tuned for all these years. I've only made the transition from LS motors to the LNF in the past 6 months. Playing catch-up, but I have a full understanding of how to control everything with what HPT has made available to us.

As an example, my DAL is a linear ramp from 0-255 kPa. Max boost is controlled solely by wgdc. Mine never exceeds 80% wgdc to achieve a linear 23 psi except in the last two cells to maintain 23psi to 6300rpm. Even then I'm not even 95%. Removing power limitations from the optimum torque table and MALT are some points that no one has ever mentioned. How to manipulate these tables and the optimum spark are going to be part of the writeup I will eventually do.

Cobaltssoverbooster, GMTech, and plenty of others have contributed a TON to the understanding of the LNF. But, there was a lot left out. No more!

I am really excited to keep learning on this engine. I am currently building mine up and will have it ready in a few weeks. Cant wait!!!

Advanced Tuner
    Good stuff here guys. So much has changed since I was last in the LNF game (2009), glad to see guys keeping at it. Once I polish this rust off I will be up there trying to help you out as much as possible.