Thread: s10 VCM swap

Question s10 VCM swap

I started a thread in the GM l4 section and I have no reply so maybe posting in the general section I might have more success.

"Hi,

I have an 02 s10 that I have not got a license for yet. The stock VCM has some problems. I bought a other VCM and I figured that the security would give me problems and it did.

I read on many threads that HPT license the VIN/OS and also people saying it licenses the VCM itself in the same thread. So I figured I'd ask myself and see if I can get a clearer answer.

My question is which VCM do I license and how I would go about getting Vin and Vats or whatever else correct so I won't throw a p1631 and p1632.

Thanks"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    the software licenses to the vcm id number unique to each pcm/file for single vcm licenses for gm vehicles(ford pcm's don't work like this so its slightly different). It uses checks against the vin AND operating system to determine how exactly to license the pcm ie is the single vcm license 2 credits or more and how much is the year/model license.

The help file is pretty clear about how to license a pcm ie read the pcm, license it then use that file to tune away.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

My question wasn't really "how" to license. But what to license. I've licensed my Camaro and tuned it without a problem.

So let me make sure I understood what to do. My stock VCM is trash. I need to license my new VCM even though it doesn't have the correct Vin and change the Vin to my trucks Vin. The security stuff will have to be re-linked and stuff after I do all that.

Correct?

Thanks a bunch.

I want to license today but I'd like a conformation so I don't waste credits.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by xpbr2000 View Post
    I need to license my new VCM even though it doesn't have the correct Vin and change the Vin to my trucks Vin.

Correct?
    This theme has already been discussed at length. If you change the VIN in the PCM, it must be from a vehicle that used the OS that is in the PCM. If you change the VIN to one that does not meet this criteria, your HPT license will no longer be recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    This theme has already been discussed at length. If you change the VIN in the PCM, it must be from a vehicle that used the OS that is in the PCM. If you change the VIN to one that does not meet this criteria, your HPT license will no longer be recognized.
    Fair enough. It may have been discussed at length but searching brings up several people that have discussed it and none are clear. I even searched swapping PCMs on this forum and didn't get an crystal clear understanding. So I asked. and yes the new PCM is from the same truck just another vin.

Advanced Tuner
    Here is a similar discussion from this past week alone ...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...let-me-license

You may find that posting a question that has been repeatedly asked and answered, my get no responses at all - which only serves to increase your frustration. The search function is your friend ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    Here is a similar discussion from this past week alone ...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...let-me-license

You may find that posting a question that has been repeatedly asked and answered, my get no responses at all - which only serves to increase your frustration. The search function is your friend ...
    i did search and did read that thread. Sorry if I only understand a fraction of what the experienced guys do. All i do know is if I do it wrong.... Hptuner will not give me those credits back. so that may be why people ask so much.

well, new problem.

"ECM definition failed to load. you will be unable to edit this file..."

After I read this thread http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...Failed-to-Load

I see there is an issue with the OS?

I read my stock PCM just fine. the New pcm is from and 03 same motor. Can I not just take the file from My stock PCM and write it to the new PCM? Will it try to license it when its trying to write?

guess not it doesn't even give me the option.

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    Allow me to try and assist before you fry a PCM or get these guys pulling out any more of their hair here! I see at least three things here that are in fact covered in this forum. The search index may not be as comprehensive as YouTube, but it can usually get the job done if you change the combination of words you search for slightly. Other times you may have to find the most logical place the answer to your query should be posted, and then search through literally pages of threads before you see that one "popping out at you". As far as disabling VATS that's the easiest to find how to do, I think it's a sticky in the I4 section. If you want to retain the VIN from the "broken" computer, and your authority to tune that file & VIN you will have to license the "broken" VCM. Identify EXACTLY which OS it is, and use this information to source your "new" replacement VCM to avoid writing the wrong OS onto it. (FRY TIME!) As stated before your VIN and OS have to be compatible, so use this logic to try find a "new" VCM that you can license giving you authority to program it as well, and then write your old tune & VIN onto it. There is a listing of compatible I4 OS's & VIN's that I haven't used yet, so you may have to search for that one on your own. I also received "failed to load" once and upon searching a little in Getting Started, I found a thread that sounded like what I was looking for. In my case nobody had sent in a read with that exact OS yet. So before you send your tune in to have them map out your OS, update to the latest beta as somebody may in fact have already sent one in between now and your last update, which in that case would be really cool because you wouldn't even have to wait for someone to hack & map an OS you sent in and could start tuning right away. Well that's about as straight forward as I can explain this, so give the research some time here, I've often looked around for an hour or more before finding a thread that matched my question exactly, and am definitely guilty of posting an often asked question once or twice myself, so don't give up, just keep on reading. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 03-25-2014 at 01:34 PM.

In fact I did do the requested actions. I run a forum as well and I know what these guys are talking about. I hate that they assumed I didn't search before hand. If the information is there i'd rather have it than wait on someone to answer.

My situation is different than all the other threads I've found. On every other thread I found that they already licensed their stock pcm. I have not. SO, depending on how hptuners actually licenses it would be silly of me to assume anything considering my people don't understand exactly how that happens. After reading bills reply I understand just fine. It was worth it to me to ask.

Yes, I did download the latest version. Again by searching and reading what others have said about that message. It still doesn't remedy the problem. I'll be sending my file and log now and wait for a response from the HPT team.

I really hate to waste peoples time on this. I'm only fixing a bad PCM by replacing it with a new one just to be able to run an O2 sensor. I'll have to use my credits to do it.

Hopefully no body else will assume I didn't search. I did and I still had questions. Now if someone has my situation maybe they'll avoid asking because I already asked.

Thanks for responding though.

Advanced Tuner
    Just on the topic of searches. I haven't had much luck using the forum search function. I have found that using Google works fantastic if I preface my search with "HPtuners (whatever I am searching for)". I have gotten much better results that way

I agree! The search function sucks on here. I went back to Google and was directed to a link that answered my question.

The people that take the time to come in and complain about people not using the search function could have answered the man's question in the same amount of time it took t give him crap for it. Smh