Thread: 11' 6.2 tuning for volant CAI.

Potential Tuner

11' 6.2 tuning for volant CAI.

I had a shop do a 93 octane full dyno tune on my truck only engine mod done is a volant CAI. I copied and saved their tune and then with my gm software then flashed the truck back to full factory on the engine and trans. Now I'm wanting to slowly build a new tune piece a time using a few key tables from their custom tune. While truck was on full factory tune once the CAI was put on I kept getting MAF airflow greater than expected at high TPS such as when passing cars.

I want to build a tune that is stock other than tuned for the CAI and work off that slowly with help here.

What tables do I need to copy over that will let me use the changes they made during the custom tune to modify my stock tune for the CAI only to start with.

Post there tune and a stock tune from the vehicle.

I did a nice mild tune on my buddies 2011 silverado, it's very happy and rarely see's KR. He has no mods.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Go to advanced reply and click paper clip thingy, thats for attachments.

Then browse the file you want to upload and then once done, post the reply.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    CS2011FISTUNE.hptcs2011OEtune.hpt

This is the custom tune and the full stock tune. Since the CAI changed MAF airflow is it as simple as copying the aiflow/freq table from my custom tune to paste into my stock tune. Thanks
    Last edited by 01tamu/ws6; 03-22-2014 at 07:04 PM.

I'll look in the AM to see what small things I can help or suggest, if I remember lol.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks I sifted through the stock and modded tune and the only spot I could see any changes that had been made to "account" for CAI airflow was in the airflow/freq table.

I would scrap their MAF tune if you are getting a code for it. I see a pretty big change in the MAF curve, seems like alot for just adding a intake in my eyes. You can do your own MAF tune to help get things right.

I see they changed a ton of tranmission tq mngt and did alot with the max pressures, alot of which I would never touch personally for a daily driver truck with a stock transmission. Changing shift times and shift speeds is great though. I feel that the shift time torque adder tables were done right, and would give the truck better feel in the shifts.

For PE, I like the HOT enable table, the ramp in rate should be changed to 1.5 and keep the 2,000 rpm delay.

Their EQ ratio was kinda funny, it was straight all the way too 4500 and then rich and straight back down.

EQ ratio is 14.68 divided by the EQ to give you a air fuel ratio. The stock files will get alot richer over time/rpm. I liked to keep it near 12.3 afr then as it got closer to 4500-5000 rpm get slightly richer to around 11.9-12. Having a wibeband would be ideal, but I was working with a completely stock truck.

More stuff was changed and you can decide if you want to use that they did you read up on certain things and do them yourself. Like timing tables and dealing with the knock sensors, I know alot of people will slightly change the a table or two there as they are pretty sensative from the get go.

I read this thread and looked at the tune from Russ K, to get idea's and help understand things.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...erado+5.3+tune

Being that you are a 6.2 you won't be able to just copy and paste and use everything, but it gives you an idea of what was done and where. Like on the timing tables and knock tables I only did a some of it, didnt go as high with timing and didnt reduce the knock sensors as much. I just downloaded a stock 11' truck file to compare with.