Thread: 2011 Camaro Whipple REP P0606

Advanced Tuner

2011 Camaro Whipple REP P0606

A customer brought me a 2011 Camaro to tune that he had just installed a Whipple on. He has the stock Whipple tune in the car and is getting Reduced Engine Power mode any time you get into boost. It throws a P0606 at the same time.

Whipple sent him another FPCM and another tune to try, but no luck.

Other than the Whipple, the car has American Racing shorty headers with stock cats and a BBK throttle body.

I attached the tune that I pulled out of the car, as well as a stock tune I got from the repository. Any thoughts? I am going to ask the customer if he still has his stock throttle body and try that first.

I will try to post a log of it happening too.Stock Camaro.hptceasar_baseline.hpt

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    that code also means something wrong with PCM, I would return to stock (depending on what tuner it has on it now) and work on the stock cal.
    Last edited by SultanHassanMasTuning; 03-20-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Control Module Processor Performance

Have someone with a Tech2 replace and program with a stock cal id and reset the code. If it comes back PCM is bad. Replace it.

Advanced Tuner
    P0606 is the throttle controller detecting a major throttle position mismatch. Though this could also be due to the throttle position error calibration or the throttle curves being adjusted outside of the tolerance band for position error. Worthwhile switching back to the stock throttle body to simplify things as well.

Advanced Tuner
    It has absolutely nothing to do with the pedal or throttle controller or TPS... P0606 code is a internal processor code. The module that contains the code is bad. Simple. Easy. To the point. Scan the PCM and FPCM. See where the code is and replace it. If the PCM has the code in it, scan the FPCM and it should not. Replace the PCM. Or vise versa.... Replace and program the module first if you'd like. Code might go away, but it also might come back a few weeks later. He said he already replaced the FPCM and problem is still there. I assume he already programmed it for the truck too. If so, next is the PCM.

Quote Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
    It has absolutely nothing to do with the pedal or throttle controller or TPS... P0606 code is a internal processor code. The module that contains the code is bad. Simple. Easy. To the point. Scan the PCM and FPCM. See where the code is and replace it. If the PCM has the code in it, scan the FPCM and it should not. Replace the PCM. Or vise versa.... Replace and program the module first if you'd like. Code might go away, but it also might come back a few weeks later. He said he already replaced the FPCM and problem is still there. I assume he already programmed it for the truck too. If so, next is the PCM.
    That would be according to your GM manual - in actuality, in a custom tune, LSX378 is correct - have encountered this from time to time - and the ECM turned out to be OK.

Adjusting certain ETC values can cause this too. Are any of the throttle ETC values changed?

I got this code with reduced engine power simply from changing the Electronic Throttle opening curve. All I did was try to take the slack out of the pedal by sliding the beginning of the curve to the left a few cells.. so instead of the 1 starting at 15%, I moved it to around 4 or 6% and caused this code. I have modified the rest of the curve quite a bit with no problems, but the changes that threw the code were down in the 2-15% Pedal Position area... so check your tunes for changes there before trying anything else.

The irony here, is HPTuners warns that modifying these settings could render the PCM permanently inoperable... so? That code, being a "CPU Problem" seems somewhat related.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
    Bollox!

P0606 is a general DTC from the ETC controller 2nd CPU. A Tech II will read a bunch of sub codes to ID the problem exactly. If there is a throttle position error - i.e. the throttle blade position is different to what it should be as defined by a comparison between the throttle controller position curve and the engine calibration position curve by more than a few %, a P0606 will pop.

FPCM? Nothing to do with FPCM. Fuel control module and throttle position. Thats a little mixed up!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    That would be according to your GM manual - in actuality, in a custom tune, LSX378 is correct - have encountered this from time to time - and the ECM turned out to be OK.
    Thank you sir!