Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mustang cut problem... need help

Mustang cut problem... need help

We have some really weird proble.... The car is Mustang GT 5.0L Superchaged with KenneBell stage 2, it was Automatic trans, we put Manual. All tune data we manualy copied to new manual PCM. Everything worked fine, but sometimes we getting really strange issue, sometimes everything is ok. So, when we put the Full Throttle pedal - if evertything is ok - we have good boost about 15psi all the way till red line. If this problem occur - there is no any boost at all - and according to our log file (please see pic below) we have strange ignition retard -10 deg all the way with flored pedal. We can not understood if it could be some Ignition cut may be??? or may be it could be some mechanick problem (but in this case ignition shouldnt be - 10 deg).

If anybody may be seen some similar problem - please advise what can we check here to find the problem...

Any ideas?? Could it be some kind of fail safe mode may be? If ford has one at all??

Tuner in Training
    Can you attach the log file and tune file? There is a few things that can cut spark so it is hard to tell what is causing it from the picture you posted you can just see that it is pulling timing.

Yes for sure, please see it attached

one more log with many PIDs logged

some strange correspondance noted in the last log file, during cruising about 2000rmp TPS only about 18%, the MAF value jumped rapidly from 27g/sec to 150g/sec (not sure may be supercharger actuator do some wrong job?...) and at the same moment PCM pull timing to -10deg, TPS still about 18%... after MAF value fall down to about 27g/sec and the timing got back to normal again...

If these two values MAF and Ignition on the 2000rpm can be connected somehow? may be it is MAF sensor fault? or may be this is something wrong with Supercharger actuator?? any idia...

Tuner in Training
    Check the wiring for the sensors if their okay then start looking at the tune. Was the only thing you changed the transmission before the problem happened? No fault codes stored in the ecu? Have you tried driving the car with the automatic ecu? I never have on a newer ecu but it might work by changing the automatic switch to disable. Also try disabling the knock sensors just be careful with the timing change the number to 0 from 2. The maf numbers are decreasing because of -10 degrees of timing probably.

we checked the wiring and tried to change another MAF sensor, turned off knock sensors... nothing hepls.... any idea what else can cause that -10 deg retard?

Tuner in Training
    I had problems once with a trans swap but it was with another software and the equizzer settings in the ecu. The car had way different issues. Can you post the file from the auto car. Maybe there are wiring differences in the harness. I know you said the motor in the car is a 5 liter is it a 2v, 3v 4v or a coyote? From the vin on the ecu you have it is from a 4.6 3v. If its a 3v did you lock out the Cam Phaser?

It's 3v 4.6 l engine with stroker to 5.0l with manual PCM but auto wiring harness. I'm not sure if the phaser locked or not, Should it be locked?

Tuner in Training
    We usually lock out the phasers or limit them. Try setting engine>torque management>general>torque intervention- to disable. It might have a signal from the auto harness for a wire that isn't in the manual car. The load switch (transmission>general>load switch) is 2 on most of the ecu's that I have seen yours is 6 I have no clue what that switch is for.

Thanks much for help !!! We disabled that torque intervention and set the load switch to 2 , but look like still got the same problem (((( hands going down already ((( dont even what else to try to do, why else can the PCM put -10 deg of timing... could that be of some sensor fault may be? which sensor could cause this... anymore idea what could we try to do? could cams phasing cause that behavior maybe?

Tuner in Training
    No not to that extreme for the cam phasers. Try the auto ecu with the automatic disabled and delete any codes that come on.

Set the torque limit for reverse to the max. I've seen this a few times on manual swaps were the PCM infers the trans is in reverse when it isn't.

We dont have that Auto PCM unfortunatly, but as i remember - we tried to put disable on them and turned off all the Error codes - and got the same problem - at that moment we been sure thats becouse we need to use Manual PCM....

For the Torque limit for reverse, Eric, sorry, please advise in the Editor which exactly parameter do you mean?

I just realized we are missing these parameters. I just added them. Update to the latest 2.24 in 10 minutes, and you will have these parameters in your OS ID.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Ok, thanks, i downloaded it and installed 2.24.552 version, right? but still was not able to find that parameter, please tell me in wich section should it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Stez View Post
    Ok, thanks, i downloaded it and installed 2.24.552 version, right? but still was not able to find that parameter, please tell me in wich section should it be?
    Try again, there was an issue building the software earlier, but it just built successfully, so download it again.

Its under Transmission > Torque Management
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

I downloaded it again , now have 2.24.557 version. But in the Transmission section there is no Torque Management , i see only: General, Autospeed shift and Manual sections for transmission. I see Torque Management section only in the Engine - but there is no parameter - Torque limit for reverse
    Last edited by Stez; 04-01-2014 at 03:09 AM.

Download one more time. I did something incorrectly so it did not show in 2.24. It is there now. See below.

Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC