Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help tuning a 2.4 99 cavalier

Potential Tuner

Need help tuning a 2.4 99 cavalier

Does anyone have a tune for it. Also should I go speed density mode. Its my personal car.

Senior Tuner
    There are many tunes for this, but they are all vehicle dependent.

Do you have HPTuners?
    Do you have a Tune file and Log?
    What are your Mods?

So many variables.

Potential Tuner
    I have dumped the cat. I used HP Tuners to disable the lower O2 sensor. That is all I did I didn't get very deep in it because I just got HP Tuners and I don't know how to use it. I was wondering if I should get a book on it? I want to get bigger injectors but can you change some of the fuel tables instead. Also is there a plus to going to speed density mode if I use it as my daily driver.

Bigger injectors wouldnt help anything unless you were at the stock injectors limits on fuel flow.

Never looked at the 2.4 car before but being a 99, SD mode seems not needed. Car would run better on the MAF.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 03-16-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    This engine PCM works on alpha N fueling and has no maf.

Do you have a wideband? If so what kind? Ill post a config for you to log with tomorrow when I'm at work and not on phone.

Potential Tuner
    I have no clue how to tune the fuel tables. For tuning the fuel tables is there a special number or do you drive a round a bit the tweak the tables. I don't know what wide band is. Is it a air to fuel ratio gauge? I read some bodies post and they said race cars go open loop. Is that so they can lean or rich the fuel system? Sorry guys I have no clue what to do or how to use HP Tuners.

Tuner in Training
    If all you care about is that your car runs ok after removing the cat, you can post a specific question about what it is doing wrong under certain condition and probably get help.

Getting a book on tuning isn't a bad idea. There are even courses built around this software.

If your goal is work on performance, you'll need to invest a day or two in reading threads on here to learn some of the concepts.
    Have you read any of the materials in the help section of HPT? Have you looked at the "Getting Started forum"? There should be some basic info on concepts such as open/closed loop, VE tuning etc. Some of the basics may be under the V8 tuning section since the software really grew-up around GM V8s.

Potential Tuner
    I am getting a bigger throttle body am I going to need to tune the fuel tables. Here is the link http://www.chevycavalierworld.com/ip...ttlebodies.php if anyone is interested.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    yes it changes fuel requirements
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    It's cool that you bought a bigger T.B. Just wait on installing it until you are fluent with the tuning of your car, so you can professionally adjust your tune for it the right way. Wide Band, yes that's what he meant, but it's a very accurate o2 sensor & gauge setup with a "wide" range of AFR to work within. You picked a quirky crazy little car to begin tuning with, but it's possible to grasp and has few tables so that will help. Here's where it gets weird: The car should enter closed loop as long as you have met several requirements, it should be pointed out it usually won't if ANYTHING is wrong with it. Once in closed loop it will fuel as speed density and unfortunately this is the only state in which the PCM will command the AFR entered in your PE Mode Fueling Table. (THE ONLY TABLE/SPOT IN OUR TUNE WHERE YOU CAN COMMAND A SPECIFIC, STEADY, CONSISTANT AFR) Problem: In closed loop your PCM will use fuel trims to constantly make small adjustments to "fix" your fueling, preventing you from getting a clear picture of exactly how far off your Fueling Tables themselves were setup to begin with. Without knowing how much to change in a table this won't be much help when you want to change that table. But if you go open loop, and reset & disable the fuel trims like with other cars, you won't be able to command the AFR that you want! But don't worry, the guys here have pretty much figured a solution to that with Custom Histograms that have special Filters applied for our cars needs, allowing you to tune in CL. I would highly recommend taking up planethax offer on the configs, and searching for those Histogram setups as well.

Potential Tuner
    What is a relatively affordable wideband o2 sensor? And do I keep it in the car or can I take it out when I am done?

aem eugo or innovate are the only two i recommend to people starting out. a lot of tuner shops use the innovate.

Potential Tuner
    I tried to log and haven't quite figured it out. How long do I log for? Also if I would richen up fuel at WOT would I get more power at WOT?

Tuner in Training
    For wot logging I try to run through the highest gear I can safely do on the street 2 or 3 times. Most of the time it is third gear and maybe part of fourth for me.

Adding fuel at wot may help or hurt HP. It depends on the car and what has been done. Sometimes the car comes rich from the factory and leaning it can help. I don't have experience with your car, so maybe someone else can comment if the car is known to come rich or lean from the factory.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks that makes a lot of sense. I want to add more power to the 3000-4500 rpm range what can I do to achieve this?

Tuner in Training
    Do they make headers for the car? Long tube headers often provide solid increases in midrange tq.

You may be able to add timing and pick up power. Does your car require 91 octane from the factory? Running 93 octane may allow for the timing bump of 1 - 3 degrees. If your car was using 87 as the recommended fuel, then running 91 or 93 octane will allow you add 2 - 6 degrees of timing. There can be diminishing returns from adding timing, so more is not always better; you'll have to experiment.

Don't start adding timing until you have mastered logging and can monitor knock retard.

Potential Tuner
    The exhaust manifold is basically a header from the factory I don't think you would gain much unless you put on a bigger pipe too then maybe.

ATS is talking about true long tube equal lengths..which the factory may be tube but is not long and i haven't measured it but sometimes they are equal.
    these would benefit you if you tuned them to the correct length primary and collector.afi_header_installed_side_1024x1024.jpg

Potential Tuner
    Ok thanks for the idea. What are equal length headers? Are they the same length as the factory manifold?

Google.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.