Thread: Difference between NB and WB Log and tune inside

Senior Tuner

Difference between NB and WB Log and tune inside

2006 2.0 SC Cobalt SS
    60 Siemens 60# with data from redline & Omega.

Just went for a good long hiway trip,

Can some one look at histograms VE Error(with wideband) and VE Short term fuel trims?

Either I am missing omething or they just aren't corresponding.

New WB and NB sensors installed 2 days ago.

Current tune has Long term/PE and Maf disabled.

Also can't get rid of the hunting, surging Idle.

Hope someone can give me pointers, this is the first of these I have done.

Thanx!!

Also posted my Cobalt config.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    And as for Idle Surge I can see Timing fluctuating.
    Surge seems to happen gradually worse as engine warms up.

First log is of Idle Surge

idlesurge.hpl

Second log is after I "paste special add" the first log then relogged.

idlesurge2.hpl

Having Brain Farts, just can't get this to idle?

Senior Tuner
    OK, here is where I am at,
    Idle much better but get 2 or 3 dips and surges as coming to a stop.

Also, for some reason the AFR and PE is dropping out, I did see IDC spike once in log, but with 60s I wouldnt think I am running out?

Seems if I am 3/4 throttle in PE it holdss, I go WOT it goes to 13-14?

Files attached are current config
    cobalt.cfg

Current file (most Idle Spark tables now at stock)
    Bradidlepe3spark.hpt

Latest log with everything enabled
    enabled.hpl

and the intitial file I had to start with.
    bradinitial.hpt

What am I missing here?

Thanx!

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    are you tuning base ve with this current tune? to tune ve with a wideband you need to turn the closed loop system off in section: engine>fuel>open & closed loop>closed loop enable & ltft enable.
    reset fuel trims using the scanner after every change if you haven't been(only mentioned cause im not watching you do it in person lol no creepin)
    Maf sensor is still on but disabled? set maf active rpm to 7000 but its not failed in the engine diagnostics section...maf should be completely failed to tune ve. turn maf codes to 3-do not report, maf fail high to 0, and diagnostic tests p0101, p0106, p0121 set to min ect 492 and max ect 493. that will fail maf 100% and prevent it from skewing base fuel for tuning ve.

your pe is set to come on all the time above 2500 rpm as long as 75 kpa is exceeded. No pe rpm delay, no enable rpm, throttle position required is 0 @ 2500rpm and above. i see you flat lined pe enrichment to 11.6 which is fine.

boost limiting with etc and tcs are you doing that intentionally? i usually keep them unrestricted until fueling is sorted out then re-enable then to whats needed to prevent odd events from those systems screwing with the fuel mapping.

after the injector data did you tune base ve properly and verify the data using the 10% method?

im not trying to destroy the tune just pointing stuff out and leaving questions to find out what tuning step your actually on now.

booster
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Senior Tuner
    Just not enough coffee in the world for me today lol.

I had been tuning the VE via STFT ( mainly because the WB and NB didnt seem to be exactly in line) and with my experience with J-body, when tuning VE with just Wideband, the Fuel trims wanted to fight so I am just used to going with STFT until doing PE.
    (I had LTFT disabled)

Is this not a good idea?

This current file has everything re-enable and then went for a drive to log and see where I was at.

The boost limiting was already there, didnt realize the prev tuner did all that.

Senior Tuner
    I think Its time to go home and restart in the morning lol.

this is how i set mine up for base tuning with a wideband. (see attached file)
    you can really tune the ve in the lsj 3 ways:
    1) external afr as mentioned and shown in attached file
    2) ltft tuning the base by fully disabling the maf but leaving closed loop on with ltft active
    3) stft tuning the base by keeping the maf active 100% of the time but disable the ltft while leaving closed loop active. ( i dont recommend this way because some maf sensors can get touchy.)

the way you have the dynamic rpm set in your "current" file was making the maf turn on at 7000 rpm. anything below 7000 it was running strictly off the ve base table with minimal maf input.
    for some reason we haven't been able to fully remove the maf input without disconnecting it and disabling all of its codes. we can limit its input severely but that doesn't let the true ve show itself.
    You can leave maf on for i would recommend a max injector size of 60# but anything higher i disconnect it for base tuning to keep the transient conditions caused by it being plugged in to a minimum.
    i wouldn't say the pro's recommended that step but i use it as a personal preference/safety step.

Senior Tuner
    Not seeing files?

Senior Tuner
    I think I screwed up the whole tune with maf settings.

For some reason I thought High RPM 7000(6900) re-enabled and don't think I disabled completely (though I did get the mil to come on)
    I just set Maf Fail at 0 Hz.

Just really was having a Brain turned off day.

I'll restart in the morning,
    Thanx again Booster.

Just hoping I have Inj Data correct and not on wild goose chase, the Short pulse limit is at 0 as per the spreadsheet.
    Last edited by planethax; 03-15-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post

your pe is set to come on all the time above 2500 rpm as long as 75 kpa is exceeded. No pe rpm delay, no enable rpm, throttle position required is 0 @ 2500rpm and above. i see you flat lined pe enrichment to 11.6 which is fine.......

booster
    I was messing with PE to try and find out why it was dropping off.
    Start at 11.6 but the more throttle I give the more it rises to 13.8, not sure why?

What setting would you recommend?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    im not trying to destroy the tune just pointing stuff out and leaving questions to find out what tuning step your actually on now.

booster
    Destroy away PLEASE!
    Only way I'll learn lol!

Senior Tuner
    pestart.JPGThis is what I had started with for PE settings
    but was changing around to see if I could get PE to stay

Like a good idiot I forgot to post the file so I will attach when I get home tonight. Sorry for that

Senior Tuner
    Thank Booster I appreciate it.

ok so how this one is set up will force the trims to be off completely thus the only good reading you will get will be from a afr error custom pid using the pre-designated target afr in the ecu. if it hasn't been changed then 14.69 will be your stoich value for the afr error calculation. also the attached file has the gm stage 2 injectors in it so don't copy any of that info.
    Attached Files Attached Files