Thread: S10 with 5.3 swap won't let me license

S10 with 5.3 swap won't let me license

Got a buddy with a 5.3 swapped 2000 s10 and 411pcm. Issue is when I try to license the current tune so we can change a few things it says "send file to hpt os/vin do not match" is what it said I do believe.

He had initially sent the pcm to someone to have the tune setup for the right motor/trans/headers/intake/rear end gear. They also entered in the s10's vin into the file.

When you hook the scanner up it says its a 2000 s10 truck with a L4 still. In the OS it says it's a v8 at the same time.

What's going on here, and how can I fix it to where it will license and let us edit the tune.

Posting this from my phone currently I will attach the tune if need be later.

Thanks
    Last edited by 2004gtols1; 03-15-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    This questioned has been posted and answered numerous times .......

HPT requires the VIN in the PCM to match the OS that is also in the PCM. Given that the 2000 S10 was probably equipped with a Vortec PCM, there is no 2000 S10 VIN that will be compatible with any 0411 PCM tune.

To tune with HPT, you need to have the VIN in the PCM returned to what it was originally, or at least to a vehicle VIN that used the OS that is in the PCM.

Okay so enter a VIN from a vehicle that the pcm could have come from, but where do I get that VIN since it's just a random pcm from the yard and we don't have the original tune before it was altered.

Still I can't change the VIN without licensing the tune first correct? I can't license the tune to change the VIN because they currently aren't matching. So what it sounds like is that we need to start with a new file from a 411 equipped vehicle?

Also our emission's place in Indiana needs the VIN in the windshield to match the VIN that they pull from the pcm from the obd 2 port. That is going to throw that off then correct? They will not pass the car if it doesn't match from what I'm told.
    Last edited by 2004gtols1; 03-15-2014 at 09:49 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    As I highlighted in my original answer, you are not the first person to encounter this issue. A search of this forum, and a general internet search, will provide you with discussion threads and information.

Very broadly, your options for this specific project include: 1. get the VIN / OS to match, then tune with HPT. Once the tune is completed, then change the VIN to match the vehicle. 2. do all tuning with another software that does not require the VIN / OS to match.

Either way, you will probably require the assistance of an associate with another tuning software to help out with the VIN change issue. If you know anyone who owns EFILive or Tunercat, they could change the VIN to match the OS (at no cost), allowing you to tune the vehicle with HPT, then once you are finished tuning they could change the VIN again to match the vehicle.

This is one of those unique circumstances where a little more planning at the outset could have saved a lot of headaches after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    As I highlighted in my original answer, you are not the first person to encounter this issue. A search of this forum, and a general internet search, will provide you with discussion threads and information.

Very broadly, your options for this specific project include: 1. get the VIN / OS to match, then tune with HPT. Once the tune is completed, then change the VIN to match the vehicle. 2. do all tuning with another software that does not require the VIN / OS to match.

Either way, you will probably require the assistance of an associate with another tuning software to help out with the VIN change issue. If you know anyone who owns EFILive or Tunercat, they could change the VIN to match the OS (at no cost), allowing you to tune the vehicle with HPT, then once you are finished tuning they could change the VIN again to match the vehicle.

This is one of those unique circumstances where a little more planning at the outset could have saved a lot of headaches after the fact.
    We are going to throw another 411 pcm in and copy the tune over to that.

So from what you have told me I take it once you license the pcm with my cable you can put whatever vin whether it's a s10 vin or a 3.1 monte vin in afterwards and it will not give us a vin/os match error correct? I just want to make double sure before we go wasting credits only to end up with the same issue.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004gtols1 View Post
    We are going to throw another 411 pcm in and copy the tune over to that.

So from what you have told me I take it once you license the pcm with my cable you can put whatever vin whether it's a s10 vin or a 3.1 monte vin in afterwards and it will not give us a vin/os match error correct? I just want to make double sure before we go wasting credits only to end up with the same issue.
    No ... that is not what I had stated. The VIN and OS must always match to use HPT to tune. If you elect to tune it with HPT, once you are 100% completed with the tuning process, and will not be tuning further, then, and only then, would you change the VIN to match the vehicle. After this HPT would no longer allow any tuning, unless the VIN was reverted back.

Okay yeah that is what I was still kinda unsure of. My buddy has a DHP handheld tuner, I'm going to see if we can do anything with that. If we can then when we want to make changes with HPT we will just have to change the VIN back to a correct VIN that HPT recognizes for the pcm. Then after tuning change it back to the S10 VIN to keep the emissions place happy.

One other thing we were wondering about and maybe possibly you may have an answer is the platform his pcm was set to was ST.....what platform is that exactly? We searched but didn't find a for sure explanation. We could find out what per say gmt800 was etc. but not ST. Wondering if that is correct for a 5.3 being ran by that 411 pcm.

Thanks for your help

Advanced Tuner
    S/T platform ... S = 2WD, T = 4WD/AWD ... believe the S/T designation corresponds to GMT 325, 330, 355, and 360.

You will get varying opinions on the vehicle platform options matrix. Some say it is information only, and changes do nothing, others will claim success in changes - don't know, have never messed with it.

Okay thanks, wonder why we couldn't find the info on that particular one. Oh well maybe we didn't look hard enough.

He was also having a issue with the alt light on the dash illuminated. Pcm was throwing a code for the alt also. He double and triple checked the wiring and found no issue.

We noticed that under st platform there is a generator F terminal and L terminal I think it was. You type a 1 in either one to say it is fitted or not. Well there was a 1 on terminal F I think it was but not in the ST platform slot. It was entered in the gmt800 platform line.

We are thinking that is the reason the pcm is not seeing the alternater. Once we can get into this damn thing or flash a new one pcm we will be able to possibly solve that issue also.

Advanced Tuner
    Alternator F or L terminal use is handled via the engine DTCs, not the platform matrix. Older models may only be wired for the L terminal. If applicable, simply set the F terminal DTC to "Not Reported".