Thread: Please educate me on what I need for this project.

Please educate me on what I need for this project.

Good morning all. So as I posted in my newb post, I am building a 65 Chevy II with a GM LM7 truck motor/S400 turbo combo. I know absolutely nothing about tuning.....I'm a fab guy......and I will be having Donny Walsh tune the car for me. It is 90% a street car with a half dozen trips to the track each summer. What I need help with is what exactly I need to purchase for this build. It will be a stock GM truck ecm (Red and Blue 0411) running a cable operated TB. My plans are a single tune, based on 91-93 octane fuel. It will be the same whether it at the track, or on the street. I go to the track to enjoy myself, not spend al day fussing and fighting with a tune up. When Donny tells me that he has the best tune up created for my goals, then that's how it will stay. I need your guidance as to what is the proper package I need to order. There will be no knock sensors, as I am running solid mounts. Tuning will be through my 02 sensors and and af gauge, unless there are better options out there. Again, I'm as green as it gets when it comes to tuning. I'm looking to at least make myself reasonably educated in this phase of the build, and make the correct purchase the first time. Thanks for any and all help.

Rob

Just a quick question, where are you located?

HP tuners is licensed using credits, so choosing which interface is more about what options you want.

The advantage of the pro interface is the ability to record external items such as a wideband directly into the hp tuners scan function plus it can act as a black box recorder. For the extra couple of hundred bucks the pro is worth every penny. Look at the interface differences here.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ce-Differences

Hope this helps

Just because you will have solid mounts doesnt mean you shouldnt have knock sensors.

Knock sensors are very important, you will want to keep them. They are a very big part of tuning and how the vehicle runs.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I agree they are important, but in a solid mount drivetrain, as I have been told by a few different knowledgeable racers, they can transfer unwanted road noise into the drivetrain, which can be interpreted as bad info. This combo should make north of 700, so running insulated mounts is not really viable as it will see some abuse at the track.