Thread: From Fat to lean

From Fat to lean

I have been trying to tune the drivability of this 2010 Camaro for some time now. It seems that the longer I drive it the leaner it gets. I have tried to only make changes to when it is lean but it is pig fat than it goes lean. I have posted3-11-14 read.hptrich to lean 3-11-14.hpl to tune and a scan file. Maybe someone will see something I have missed. Sometimes you can't see the forest from the trees. Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by openwheel25 View Post
    I have been trying to tune the drivability of this 2010 Camaro for some time now. It seems that the longer I drive it the leaner it gets. I have tried to only make changes to when it is lean but it is pig fat than it goes lean. I have posted3-11-14 read.hptrich to lean 3-11-14.hpl to tune and a scan file. Maybe someone will see something I have missed. Sometimes you can't see the forest from the trees. Thanks for looking
    As far as I can see, your "pig fat than it goes lean" scenario's are a result of DECEL and very minimal delay (like .1 to .2 secs) when PE cuts in, both which are expected. Should be filtered out from your histogram and you should only be using steady state data to be adjusting the tune. You can set TPS, MAP and cell count to filter out these transients and low cell counts (non-steady state data).

Realize you are tuning in SD Open Loop, but MAF curve looks a bit uneven as well. Also as you are FI'd I would have changed the MAP Bondary zone 4-5 from the 90 to like 125 kPa or so.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 03-12-2014 at 07:13 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    As far as I can see, your "pig fat than it goes lean" scenario's are a result of DECEL and very minimal delay (like .1 to .2 secs) when PE cuts in, both which are expected. Should be filtered out from your histogram and you should only be using steady state data to be adjusting the tune. You can set TPS, MAP and cell count to filter out these transients and low cell counts (non-steady state data).

Realize you are tuning in SD Open Loop, but MAF curve looks a bit uneven as well. Also as you are FI'd I would have changed the MAP Bondary zone 4-5 from the 90 to like 125 kPa or so.

Ed M
    Thank you for taking the time to look at the scan and tune. I understand how to increase the cell count. But, could you help me on how to filter TPS and DECEL.
    Also in the scan when I first start the car and let it idle it is rich and before I shut it off it is leaner. At idle nothing like DECEL or TPS should be affecting it should it? Once again thanks for you help.

not at home, will look tonight when I get home. At startup their is a startup enrichment which will decay over time. If idle is lean then richen up a bit the VE in the idle area.

The filters go in the histogram window. You would find the PID using the question Mark in the blue circle above the line where you write the filter equation. An example would look like this [PID.XX]>20 (where PID.XX is the one for the TPS and 20is the percentage). You can string several together by adding AND between them.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Look under VCM Scanner. May help some.http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058

Thanks for your help. I understand how to set up basic filters. I don't understand how to set them up to only filter DECEL. If I filter out TPS below 17% which is where the car idles I would not be able to log idle AFR. I also don't understand how anything over 17% will filter out DECEL. In the tune the DEFCO is disabled shouldn't that eliminate the lean DECEL? What I see is the car is rich until the throttle is opened and the car goes into light boost. After that the car leans itself out everywhere. If you only look at idle from the start of the log and at the end you can see the difference. When the log starts the car is already warmed up and commanding 14.68.
    Thank you for looking at the scan and for your help. I need all the help I can get.