Thread: ETC tuning and its limits?

ETC tuning and its limits?

I have never messed with ECT before, but was doing some searching and found that i can get better performance/throttle response by tuning my ETC. after playing with it for a few days my changes definitely effect my cars throttle response, however it seems as tho no matter what changes i make it triggers REP. Am i just in the process if finding out what its limits are. I have limited acess to a dyno so its mostly street tuning and its getting very frustrating for me because no matter how much or how little i adjust i trigger REP.

After searching even more i have read about people successfully tuning ECT, so i think i am just missing it a little.

I am making changes in ENGINE>AIRFLOW>ELECTRONIC THROTTLE ...MAS A,B,C and D

my questions are
    Is this something i should not even be touching?
    What are the limits of tuning ECT? how much is to much?
    Am i tuning the incorect maps?
    am i not tuning enough maps

i am posting the latest tune i have worked with.... it seems to be the most effective for response. and the stock file
    thanks for your help

2012 camaro 1SS LS3
    stock TB
    2012Camaro1ss_LS3TB_tune.hpt
    2012Camaro1SS_LS3stock.hpt
    Last edited by Jeffrey110; 03-11-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Tuner
    I am told that changing any MAP throttle settings will result in REP in all Gen. 4 ECU's. Guess they were right.

i just noticed that the changes i made in the MAP AREA D desired throttle area were way to drastic must have entered some crazy value on accident when i did my last change. ill update the tune and try again in the morning

Ok I fixed the MAP D settings and no REP. yet i can hardy feel any change. I looked at some of my previous tunes and found the same settings in all of the last three tries, looks like i was chasing my tail. I am going work backwards and see if i can find a sweet spot.

is there anybody that has done this successfully at all? I love this Forum and 95 percent of the time never need to ask questions because i can find all my answers in the postings from you guys.

thanks in advance for your help.

Advanced Tuner
    Go to Engine>TwMgmt and plat with the ECT settings there

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet6.0 View Post
    Go to Engine>TwMgmt and plat with the ECT settings there
    Is that instead of the settings I am trying to manipulate or on addition to?

And thank you for the help

Advanced Tuner
    For now I would say instead of. The torque management related tables serve to use throttle opening limits to limit torque. They are in my opinion largely related to that lazy throttle feel. I usually just max out the ETC Limit Tables and set the ETC Limit switch to disable for good measure.

This will make the vehicle feel much more responsive, so try that and see how you like it first. Most people are satisfied with those changes and dont touch the other tables.

The throttle tables under the airflow tab can be touchy. You can usually increase the values some, but if you go too far in any given area of the tables you will get REP. For what its worth, Ive seen several 'pro' tuners simply copy the sport mode table over to the 'A' table

Thank you so much. I was hoping for this kind of direction. As soon as the snow lets me out of the garage, and the roads dry, ill give it a shot.

Thanks again you guys!

I think i got it! thanks to all those that helped and pointed me in the right direction. the pedal feels good almost like i have changed the weights in a distributor. its not to much and its a subtle change which is what i was after. I took me forever to get there but you guys made it possible i was at a road block until your help was available.

thanks again
    Jeff

So what did yu end up doing?
    Hers -07 Jeep - SRT-8, Stock for now!
    His -05 GMC - Duramax, CCSB,4x4,LLY
    His -99 GMC - RCSB, 6.0, T-72 front mount, A/W intercooler, 4L80E, and bolt-ons

At first i only was tuning the engine>airflow>Electronic throttle, I was a little to aggressive in the MAP D settings for whatever reason i had invalid numbers in it. so that was probably the major issue the whole time...after i fixed that i found a little more flexibility in maps A thru C, i have not yet tried tuning map D and dont know frankly how that map relates to the others or even what it effects, but i am still not done playing with it.

the second was the engine>tq management settings. i had no idea of what those were even for. like i said in my original post ive not ever tried to work in this area and am pretty new to HPT in general. once i started working in that area i found a little more flexibility than previous area so that really helped.

a credit to SilverBullet6.0, Fire67 for there postings and Frost helped me on the phone lower my expectations of what i could actually get out of it...i was expecting to much from one area. and Dan Kowtoski from Camaro5 emailed me back and forth one of his files for reference.

**I will note to others that may come across this thread to be careful...to aggressive of a change can do physical damage to the car your calibrating so be conservative from what i have been told most dont even touch it for that reason plus the fact that there really isn't much to be gained on the E-38 pcm

If anybody can give me any input on Engine>airflow>electronic throttle map D and what it actually does i would be again grateful
    i am also having problems scaling my throttle Axis as seen in this screenshot when i change the numbers for the throttle axis and close that window and reopen map d the throttle position percent goes to zero

throttle axix.pngthrottle axis 2.png
    Last edited by Jeffrey110; 03-16-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Would you mind sharing your throttle Map A? I'm curious how much you changed it. I'm still trying to make my 102mm tb a little less touchy off idle.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Before i installed my Ported TB i tried to get more response and "snappiness" out of the throttle. after i installed the ported TB i had way to much sensitivity, probably similar to what your experiencing

i have hardly changed Map A...when i installed my Ported TB i noticed it was super touchy. When i messed with Engine>Airflow>Electronic Throttle, I had a real hard time, if i remember correctly just about any change that was even conservative would throw it into REP.

here is what i ended up with for map a .....as i said hardly any change

i got the largest results from tip-in settings in tq management.

MAP_A electronic throttle.png