Thread: How to boost ramp the ZFR

EFR6758 rich idle stumble after install

EDIT: See my last post about the rich return to idle stall issue
    Last edited by 08VRSS; 03-18-2014 at 06:34 AM.

There are quite a few tables to make work together and to make work between to "safely" control boost ramp. Some of the more obvious are your DAL, MAL and WGDC tables. Other tables that are also beneficial to work in conjunction with these are your Optimum Spark, Optimum Torque, Max Torque, Load Damping and your boost gains. There are also tuning tricks to slow or speed up spool time with fueling and timing advance to work in as well. So long and short of it, there is no simple and short answer to your question. It takes time and understanding of making all of these tables working together for your specific application and needs to get a desired, controllable and consistent boost ramp throughout the gear range and load range of the engine.

With that said, I'm not claiming to be the know all/end all as far as efr (or zfr) turbo tuning by any means, but I have tuned quite a few zfr balts up to this point, none of which have had any trans issues what so ever (aside from my own, which I shattered third due to a combination of sticky tires, no boost ramp, e47 and I got WAY too power hungry.... clearly a very lethal combo for the f35. I'm allowed to go balls out of my own car though.... right? ).

Simplest advice I can personally give.... don't let the turbo come to full spool before 4500rpm at the MINIMUM, particularly when dealing with e47. You will clearly put down less torque, but your trans will thank you. Also, be prepared to run out of fuel pretty quickly on the stock fuel setup even with e47.
    09 Cobalt SS - E47+EFR6758 =

07 Silverado ECSB LBZ Duramax - Bunches of goodies

thank you for the reply,

Since I am limiting mid range torque with a boost ramp, is there still a chance for injection window misfires on E47? Should I start the injection earlier regardless? I haven't touched the injection angle tables yet, but understand how they work and my cam tables are far from stock. I am getting a stock intake cam with the larger lobe in a few months, but until then what would you say is the max psi up top that the stock fuel system can support on E47 and the ZFR? Thanks again.

One more thing, I've always had hanging rpms during the 1-2 shift that makes it kinda clunky with a 6 puck clutch when letting the clutch out it'll grab and the rpms were too high, seems to take forever once the rpms are right around 2500-3000 to settle any lower in a short time. I'm thinking this is DAL related?
    Last edited by 08VRSS; 03-12-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    injection window missfire is a myth...already proved it cant physically happen with the preset ecu limitations. can you run out of fuel supply and exceed the injectors spray efficiency ...yes
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

I have everything the way i want it now, boost is coming in exactly how i want, no issues with that now.

But.... theres another issue that happened after I installed the zzp intercooler and the ZFR. I noticed that when coming back down to idle, whether it is coming to a stop sign or just a rev then settling back down to idle, it stumbles when it hits around 800, it drops to 500 really quick then recovers all while I get a rich spike for a second (10:1 AFR, -15% STFT), my timing goes nuts with negative ignition, load stays put pretty much, maf signal is pretty stable at this time too. What could cause this, it is getting annoying. I've played with DAL's and timing in that region and can't figure this out. Any input is appreciated.

This happens about 70% of the time, sometimes it comes down normally.

DFCO table is stock settings.

After it settles, STFT and LTFT are stable +/- 2%
    Last edited by 08VRSS; 03-17-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Do you have the light spring in the wg?

however the ZFR comes with the stock IWG.

sad.jpg

Here is the problem coming down from a rev

sorry i meant bov. even the medium spring in the bov causes problems because the vacuum sources aren't very strong.
    yes i know both are integrated on the efr thank you though

That would cause this return to idle stumble i'm seeing? the spring in the BPV?

i've checked everything, boost leak test, vacuum reading hasn't changed, and my trims are the same. If there was a vac leak, my fuel trims would be off and the manifold vacuum would change. Nothing has changed lol.

I drove it around last night, it did it 70% of the time it was coming down to idle, almost died a few times If you give it a small rev, under 2000 rpms, it comes down fine, and sometimes it comes down normal. Its very inconsistent. I'm so confused.
    Last edited by 08VRSS; 03-18-2014 at 06:33 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Just saying im gtanna have to agree with cobaltssoverbooster on this. I ran the forged BPV with my stock turbo but used the spring for over 20psi because I run 21psi I had a few problems like running to lean at part throttle boost and idle wouldnt drop fast enough for the 6puck to engage smooth i kept thinking it was the maf, or O2 but in a final effort to figure it out i returned to the stock pressure spring in the BPV and all my problems seemed to corret themselves. Ill be installing my ZFR in the next few weeks and will be using my forged BPV on stock pressure spring to but will map the ecm for both springs to see is its just a tuning problem that can be worked out.
    2010 Chevy Cobalt SS LNF - Injen CAI, Injen Charge pipe, ZZP Intercooler, ZZP Radiator, ARP Head Studs, Custom dyno HPTuned, Clutch Masters stage 4 6puck, Clutch Masters lightened flywheel, MeganRacing Street series Coilovers, Forged bov, (EFR 6758 coming soon)

like i said the vacuum signals aren't very strong in the lnf. the bov doesn't need a spring over 12psi because boost holds it shut. try a softer spring and see if it works to help open it faster and relieve pressure completely before you hit idle.
    10 psi spring pressure max for the lnf on the bov.

I solved my other problem with the idle stumble by playing with low load DALs and raising the idle rpms and timing.

Another question, what is the best timing up top you have seen on E47 using the ZFR? I'm at 23deg up top, not entirely sure if thats too much but currently don't have a dyno to determine MBT, theres no knock just don't want to push it any more than is necessary. I haven't run into any issues yet with E47 and 25psi as far as fuel pressure drop, what psi have you seen us running out of fuel at on E47 with stock intake cam lobe?