Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caddy ATS 2.0T A6 Tuning

Tuner in Training

Caddy ATS 2.0T A6 Tuning

I have been following Ghost and others as they tune their 1.4T to get an idea as to how to tune the E39 ECM. They seem to be pretty similar. One sort of issue I found was when you raise the Turbo Overspeed limit Min = 2.00 you have to also raise the Turbo Failure Airmass to 2.10. This is located in the Engine>Torque Management>Turbocharger. The stock setting for these on the ATS is Overspeed=.5 and Failure=.6 Before increasing the Turbo Failure Airmass I would get a horrible rattle from the turbo which I assume is the wastegate and or BOV. BTW I set my Turbo Overspeed Limit Min to 1.5 g/cyl and the Failure Airmass to 1.6 g/cyl.

So far the tune I have feels much better than the stock and the Trifecta tune I had. Gone is the WOT kick down into a high RPM gear that just sits there and does nothing. The car pulls pretty solidly and more consistent. I need to do more data logging on it. Unfortunately the HP Tuners doesn't pickup many PIDs to log so I have to use the Trifecta to data log and then view them with the Cruze data log viewer that I found here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...62578216,d.dmQ

There is still some more tuning that I want to do. I attached (hopefully) what I have so far. I also attached my stock tune. Hopefully it will provide some help for those who are learning to tune the ATS 2.0T. I wouldn't mind the veteran tuners to have a look, confirm I'm on the right path, and offer tips.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Twincharged; 03-10-2014 at 08:41 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twincharged View Post
    Unfortunately the HP Tuners doesn't pickup many PIDs to log so I have to use the Trifecta to data log and then view them with the Cruze data log viewer
    What are you looking to log specifically?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Knock retard, Torque, AIT, Commanded AFR, Max allowed Torque, etc.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    you should be able to log most if not all of those on that application with our software. If not, for whatever reason, you need to email support.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

the 1.4 cruze how to was helpfull to learn how to tune the ATS. Ive had mine tune for a good 6 months and I love it 280 whp completely stock.

Tuner in Training
    KR, before and after intercooler IAT, and torque are there. I haven't looked for commanded afr but I'm sure it's there. Not sure about max TQ, but desired boost is there, which is useful for seeing what the engine is trying to do.

Tuner in Training
    Here are where some of the items are. In the table view, right click and insert to add them.
    Engine-General-Intake Air Temp 2
    Fuel System - Air Fuel Ratio Commanded (I have not tested this one)
    Engine-Torque Management-Delivered Engine TQ
    Engine-Retard-Knock Retard. Burst Knock retard and Total knock retard are also available.

Tuner in Training
    I'm not a veteran tuner by any sense, but here a couple observations:

You've cranked knock airmass super high. You're relying on the TM settings to close the throttle and prevent the car from making enough power to grenade your motor. You really need to be logging KR and seeing what is going on. I have my TM moved up and out of the way. I'm trying to dial mine in using just the knock airmass and duty cycle, but may end up using the TM settings too since the TQ spikes are hard to control.

I did not need to adjust knock failure airmass from stock and use the same .00331 turbo overspeed as you.

Your performance shift is reduced to 6,000 rpm from 6600 rpm. The car will make good power above 6000, but you need to increase the wastegate duty cycle in the 6900 column and maybe at 5000 rpm too. However do not do this until you can monitor knock retard. You're on the edge, if not over where I see knock retard if you are achieving the 350 ft-lb in places and it looks like timing is stock. Chek and see if you may be lean on WOT tip in because your PE enable TQ % wasn't lowered even though you raised the TQ limits, so it should be kicking in later. Once you log commanded AFR you can see if anything needs to be done.

DSMlights, would you post your tune?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ATS4me View Post
    I'm not a veteran tuner by any sense, but here a couple observations:

You've cranked knock airmass super high. You're relying on the TM settings to close the throttle and prevent the car from making enough power to grenade your motor. You really need to be logging KR and seeing what is going on. I have my TM moved up and out of the way. I'm trying to dial mine in using just the knock airmass and duty cycle, but may end up using the TM settings too since the TQ spikes are hard to control.

I did not need to adjust knock failure airmass from stock and use the same .00331 turbo overspeed as you.

Your performance shift is reduced to 6,000 rpm from 6600 rpm. The car will make good power above 6000, but you need to increase the wastegate duty cycle in the 6900 column and maybe at 5000 rpm too. However do not do this until you can monitor knock retard. You're on the edge, if not over where I see knock retard if you are achieving the 350 ft-lb in places and it looks like timing is stock. Chek and see if you may be lean on WOT tip in because your PE enable TQ % wasn't lowered even though you raised the TQ limits, so it should be kicking in later. Once you log commanded AFR you can see if anything needs to be done.

DSMlights, would you post your tune?
    I have been monitoring those PIDs and since then changed the tune. Here is what I have currently. So far so good.

Tuner in Training
    Glad its working.

Have you experimented with raising the BOV part load open to 20 or 21 psi?

I noticed that you increased the wastegate open boost level at 5000 and 6900, but left the base dutycycle table stock. Can you explain what you were trying to achieve with that adjustment? Did it help?

Tuner in Training
    Here are where some of the items are. In the table view, right click and insert to add them.
    Engine-General-Intake Air Temp 2
    Fuel System - Air Fuel Ratio Commanded (I have not tested this one)
    Engine-Torque Management-Delivered Engine TQ
    Engine-Retard-Knock Retard. Burst Knock retard and Total knock retard are also available.
    I looked and none of these are available.

Tuner in Training
    I have been monitoring commanded AFR and it is between .80 and .78. There is some Knock Retard but it doesn't seem to have any relation to any other variable. Many times it is just cruising. I even tried to relate it to intake and exhaust cam timing, trying to pic out a trend. I attached an example. You can see by the RPM that there really isn't anything going on but there is knock retard.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Twincharged; 03-23-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Twincharged View Post
    I looked and none of these are available.
    I don't understand how they are not available. I'm using them. I'll post up a configuration file from my other computer.

Tuner in Training
    I don't understand how they are not available. I'm using them. I'll post up a configuration file from my other computer.
    Here is a screen shot. Perhaps there is a newer Beta version I should be using?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Bill resolved the PID issue for me. Thanks Bill.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry about the delay in posting, but I see you've got it working.

Tuner in Training
    Now I can datalog KR per cylinder and intake/Exhaust cam positions. Hopefully I can figure out the KR in light load, and I am still seeing some KR under WOT but it is not consistent. I believe that the rough idle coordinates with the very lean cycle of the O2 in open loop. I'd like to resolve that too.

Tuner in Training
    I've noticed some KR at part throttle too. I think it may be going lean when when it is asked for power and MAP goes slightly above 100.

Tuner in Training
    I think I have found the key to closing throttle and KR at WOT. Its all about reducing the turbo duty cycle so that the actual boost doesn't exceed the target boost. Data log the following info: Throttle Position, Requested Boost, Actual Boost, RPM, and Barometric Pressure. When you see the throttle cut @ WOT move th cursor just before the cut and you will see that the actual boost pressure is higher than the requested boost pressure. Now take the requested boost pressure and divide it by Baro pressure. That is the pressure ratio. Take a look at the RPM and use that along with the pressure ratio to find the box in the Duty Cycle map and reduce the number there. Keep doing this until there is no more throttle cut. When all is well you will see that the throttle cut and KR are all reduced or gone. I attached the best map I have so far. Have fun and RUN IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    Last edited by Twincharged; 05-11-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Tuner in Training
    All interesting stuff guys.

Heads up on something I have seen here at work. Cracked pistons between the top two compression ring lands due to preignition. GM is aware of it and it was a calibration issue not a parts issue so watch out for high cylinder temps and knock obviously.

Keep tuning!