Thread: LC-1 wideband to EIO. Which ground?

Tuner in Training

LC-1 wideband to EIO. Which ground?

Link #2 in the wideband hookup sticky is dead. Unfortunately it is the one that deals with the Innovative LC-1. Can the link be revived? It may hold my answers. If not my concerns are below.

It looks like I need to hook the brown 0-5v analog 2 wire (from the LC-1) to one of the four A/D inputs on the HPTuners EIO. I don't know which ground from the LC-1 needs to go to either pin 5 or 6 on the EIO. I am assuming pin 5 and 6 are interchangeable on the EIO. The three ground choices on my 6 wire LC-1 to connect to the EIO are: heater ground (Blue wire), system ground (white wire), calibration wire (black wire). Likely the system ground, but not sure. The LC-1 wants all three grounded to the chassis or engine block. Do I also ground the wire that ends up going to the EIO to the chassis or engine block as well as connecting it to the EIO ground pin 5 or 6? Will using the calibration feature (grounding the black calibration wire) while hooked up to HPtuners damage the EIO or its drivers in any way:confused? The LC1 needs to have power any time the car is running. Can I disconnect the EIO pinout plug and just leave the LC1 sensor in the exhaust and hooked to switched 12V to run the heater and protect the sensor without damaging the LC-1 itself?

I noticed S2H seems to be an expert on the LC-1. Hopefully he will see this as he can likely answer the questions without even taking a breath.
    Current Project: 1969 Daytona Yellow Camaro LS2/T56 swap. 2006 GTO LS2/T56, LT headers, 3" dual exhaust, Custom ground cam, Vintage Air, New Vintage 1969 gauges, 3:55 gears, custom aluminum radiator/shroud/airbox and more, HP tune (in the works), etc...

Advanced Tuner
    Is this what you're looking for?

LC1.jpg

take all your grounds to a single grounding point....
    LC1 power grounds and data grounds all need to go to the exact same point...ON THE CHASSIS OR BATTERY
    dont take any grounds to the EIO...they will not be needed at the EIO if you have a good chassis/battery ground and the overall ground amount will be too great for the circuit board

do not connect the EIO grounds to the chassis as you will create a ground loop and the LC1 voltages will be skewed if you do that.
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    I think so , that is helping me get there. Thanks!

The yellow wire from LC-1 analog 1 to pin B on the O2 sensor plug and EIO pin 5 ground to O2 sensor plug A has me thinking. Is that just tied into the bank 1 or bank 2 O2 sensor plug on the engine harness? What would the benefit be from gathering a second narrow band signal by hooking the yellow wire up? Can't the factory O2 narrow band signal already be logged from the existing o2s? I am assuming the LC1, other than the heater, would be grounded through the EIO by the DLC connector, is this correct?

How would a permanent gauge tie into this schematic, still leaving the ability to remove the EIO from the equation?
    Current Project: 1969 Daytona Yellow Camaro LS2/T56 swap. 2006 GTO LS2/T56, LT headers, 3" dual exhaust, Custom ground cam, Vintage Air, New Vintage 1969 gauges, 3:55 gears, custom aluminum radiator/shroud/airbox and more, HP tune (in the works), etc...

Tuner in Training
    Thanks S2H, just the guy I was hoping to hear from. Sounds like the only wire that needs to go to the EIO is the brown analog 2 wire in one of the 4 A/D inputs if all the grounds are going elsewhere. Do I even need the yellow analog 1 wire for anything? It says in the LC-1 manual that it is just a simulated narrow band signal which I should already get and be able to log from the stock sensors, right?

I was writing my previous post as as you posted yours, so most of it can be ignored.

Advanced Tuner
    As I recall (and it's been a while), the yellow was used only if you needed to use the LC1 as a narrowband and a wideband at the same time.

Tuner in Training
    I suppose to run a gauge at the same time I would just tee into the brown wire and run it up to the gauge as well as the EIO?