Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First fire and idle 5.3 Turbo on E85 3 bar OS, 40% rich???

Moreso, instant gratification. I also tuned subirs for about 6 years. Gave it up about 2 ago.

I think you'll find that you hit the 1.2g/cyl limit on the timing table very easily and you'll have to scale the tune. Very cool project. I love Novas. Do you have any pics of the car?

Advanced Tuner

Is there a process for scaling the gen 3? I've only read the gen 4 stuff.

And if I don't scale, I assume it just uses the 1.2 line and repeats it as the boost goes higher?

How is your knock issue going?
    Last edited by RonSSnova; 03-13-2014 at 11:39 AM.

i wouldnt worry about scaling right now. get the fueling nailed and yes it holds last value.
    04 6.0 silvy china turbo
    87 gn
    03 stroker evo ww
    00 ss camaro

I've determined it is false knock. I believe from valvetrain noise. I'm running a LS7 cam that has a smaller base circle with stock length pushrods so I have nearly zero preload on the lifters. I've not had a chance to play with it this week as I have the rear end torn apart, putting in a 4 link and a 9".

Scaling a SD gen 3 tune is a lot easier than the Gen IV with a MAF, Cut the injector flow rates in half, half the VE table, and move all the rows in the timing table up to the row that is half of the original g/cyl to start with. You loose some resolution, but you gain range. If you don't scale then yes it uses the 1.2 line, but you will hit that at low boost.

Blue Novas rule. My dad's got one and a buddy has one that he autocrosses. Nice pic.

Advanced Tuner
    Ah, I guess you will know when you get some longer pushrods. Pretty easy to setup, as I'm sure you know.
    So that's all there is to scaling. Sounds too easy..... :-)
    I will investigate this when I finish my VE tuning at no boost. As you probably read, I'm a little lost on that. But I'll figure it out.
    I actually saw a smidge of KR today, so nice to know the sensors are working. In fact, everything appears to be working.

Thanks

Ron
    Y2K C5 A4 Coupe (10.78 @ 127) Cathedral port 6.2
    S476 L33 5.3 69 Nova 8.76 @ 158 Drive to the track street race car
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

Advanced Tuner
    Thought I'd follow up here.

I spent a bunch of time learning and tweaking the VE table. Car ran and drove well.
    After that began easing it into boost, tweaking as I went.
    I also added Vss to my th400, which fixed a lot of the off throttle coast weirdness.

When it became apparent that I was likely to be arrested blasting down the freeway at 100+, I took the car to the dragstrip and tuned the fuel some more at 11 psi.

Last sat with 15 psi, 9.96 @ 143

I never bothered to scale the tune. It hustles to full boost very quickly. The last row of the timing table seems to suffice nicely for now.

Ron

congrats that's haulin'. glad you didnt get a felony speeding ticket while tuning
    04 6.0 silvy china turbo
    87 gn
    03 stroker evo ww
    00 ss camaro

Advanced Tuner
    No S**t.
    Thanks for your help!