Thread: Heads/Cam Z06,Torque Management Adv Pulling Spark Causing Bucking at Low Rpm Cruise

Heads/Cam Z06,Torque Management Adv Pulling Spark Causing Bucking at Low Rpm Cruise

Upon searching this seems to be a known issue a few people have experienced but I have not been able to find an exact solution.

Car is a heads/cam/bolton 08 Z06, actually has the LPE 660 package. Camshaft specs are 243/259 691/702 112 LSA. Car starts fine, idles fine, trims in line, dynos well, but there is an issue with light throttle input cruising in higher gears below approx 1700-1800 rpms.

Basically torque management advance begins to pull large amounts of timing (10-15 deg) in these large rapid spikes which causes the bucking. Torque management in the tune is all shutdown. I have read the issue is related to spark smoothing. I lowered the values in 6th gear (the most effected) and it made a minimal difference but certainly didnt correct the issue.

Any one have an exact fix for this, I was thinking of lowering the base timing in this area to see if the spark swings would be less and consequently have less feel. I attached a tune, unfortunately i did not save a data log of the problem, but like i said tm adv is pulling rapid timing spikes which is the cause of the bucking.

Thanks
    Ryan
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1999 TransAm: Stock shortblock, LS6 cam, 317 heads, 60# injectors, TC76 front mount

Quote Originally Posted by Tally TransAm View Post
    Upon searching this seems to be a known issue a few people have experienced but I have not been able to find an exact solution.

Car is a heads/cam/bolton 08 Z06, actually has the LPE 660 package. Camshaft specs are 243/259 691/702 112 LSA. Car starts fine, idles fine, trims in line, dynos well, but there is an issue with light throttle input cruising in higher gears below approx 1700-1800 rpms.

Basically torque management advance begins to pull large amounts of timing (10-15 deg) in these large rapid spikes which causes the bucking. Torque management in the tune is all shutdown. I have read the issue is related to spark smoothing. I lowered the values in 6th gear (the most effected) and it made a minimal difference but certainly didnt correct the issue.

Any one have an exact fix for this, I was thinking of lowering the base timing in this area to see if the spark swings would be less and consequently have less feel. I attached a tune, unfortunately i did not save a data log of the problem, but like i said tm adv is pulling rapid timing spikes which is the cause of the bucking.

Thanks
    Ryan
    disabling spark smoothing definitely helps, as well as lowering the base timing in those areas (sometimes as low as 28-30 degrees) helps. With a cam that large I personally have never been able to get the car silky smooth at 1500 rpm and below.
    Owner of Cunningham Motorsports

06 z06
    2016 camaro
    68 Camaro
    2014 e63 amg
    07 LBZ Duramax

so just disable spark smoothing completely?

any adverse side effects?

the car is out of town so I cant really tinker with it. Ill be seeing it again in a couple weeks
    1999 TransAm: Stock shortblock, LS6 cam, 317 heads, 60# injectors, TC76 front mount

Quote Originally Posted by Tally TransAm View Post
    so just disable spark smoothing completely?

any adverse side effects?

the car is out of town so I cant really tinker with it. Ill be seeing it again in a couple weeks
    yes i disable it entirely, i havent seen or felt any adverse side effects
    Owner of Cunningham Motorsports

06 z06
    2016 camaro
    68 Camaro
    2014 e63 amg
    07 LBZ Duramax