Thread: Backup PCM?

Tuner in Training

Backup PCM?

I've always heard rumors. Whether the dealer can detect a tune or not (if said detection voids your warranty). If you can use a spare PCM or if you can't.
    Definitively yes or no, can the dealership see that you modified the computer if you should need warranty work (such as a blown trans or motor).
    If yes, can you swap a backup PCM into the car that has the stock computer flashed to it?
    If you can do that, will the dealer still see it?

Maybe I'm not wording this correctly.

I want to go to the junkyard and grab a spare PCM for my 2013 Regal GS.
    I want to read the computer in the car and then take that PCM out, and flash it to the junkyard PCM.
    From there I want to tune the car for more power.

Should there be a catastrophic engine or trans failure (unlikely but it does happen), I'd like to swap the stock PCM back in.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    dealer reads the number of times the ecu has been programmed. Flash Count.
    the regal ecu's are still very new software and haven't been flash transferred before. Flash transfer= Stock Vin full read - write entire to new donor ecu.
    if anything on the inside is different than your first ecu you will run into problems. not to mention to be able to flash the second ecu i believe you still have to use 2 credits to unlock its vin number to your account.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    So if the dealer sees that the flash count is higher than they have on record, warranty is automatically void?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Yup.