Thread: Making accurate pids

Making accurate pids

So after countless research on here and ls1tech I would like some insight and maybe share some information.

First is my custom boost pid.
    ([PID.2333.PSI] - [PID.2340.PSI]) > 0
    ([2BarMap.PSI] - [BaroSens.PSI]) > only show above normal atmosphere pressure
    I normally see people say just do map sensor in imperial minus 14.7. I believe my way is more accurate, no? Also I believe a boost pid should show boost, not a combination of vacuum and boost right. If you guys know anybody that has made a gauge or pid that reads HG - PSI for vacuum and boost I would like to see it. Comments?

Second is MPG Pid.
    ([SENS.20]/(([PID.6210]*0.132276)*[SENS.112]*[SENS.70]*8/(6175*(((([SENS.11]+[SENS.10])/2)+273.15)/299.8167))))/.8
    It is complicated and I found it on this site. This works for me fairly accurately. I may have modified it because after switching to Siemen Deka IV 60# injectors it was far off. I do not claim to be the engineer that created this but I like using this on my scanner.

Third is reading my AFR gauge accurately to tune.
    The first time I had to do this was because I was running E85. My autometer only reads and outputs 14.7 at lambda 1. I say 14.7 and not 14.68 or 14.17 or other stoichs because that is what autometer told me equals lambda 1 so therefore it doesn't matter what ethanol percentage I am running, I always want to see 14.7 on my gauge. When I scan for afr error I created a custom pid and named it Wideband_E10 with the function as
    [AUX.20121] / (14.7 / 14.6810)....[Wideband] / (gauge output / programmed AFR) = Wideband E_10
    [AUX.20121] / (14.7 / 9.765).........The 9.765 is E-85 stoich and what I programmed in = Wideband E_85
    What this does for me is gives me a more accurate view on AFR error. If I set my car to have an AFR of 14.7 then none of this is necessary but I don't run at exactly 14.7 and that is what my gauge reads. I used to ignore this error for regular gas but after using E85 I try to be more accurate with all my numbers. For those that use this technique be careful on how these pids are labeled as sensors. For my wideband I set the sensor to be blank and set my new pids Wideband_E10 and Wideband_E85 as AFR sensors. I made a few headaches for myself because my aux input(wideband) was labeled as an AFR sensor and using HPTuners AFR error default custom PID it confused my histograms and computer gauges because I have to log my AUX input and using my custom Wideband E_10 created two AFR sensors.
    For the few reading this and don't understand HPTuners has a PID that uses AFR input and AFR commanded to determine AFR error. Lets say I am in a perfect world, my car is running stoich according to my gauge...14.7. Well when tuning the computer sees that 14.7 and compares it to the 14.681 that I am attempting to run, creates a false error and no things will never run right. That number is significantly worse if it sees 14.7 and compares it to 9.765 E_85 stoich even though 14.7 would mean my car is running perfect according to my gauge.
    Comments?

These are a few things that I have spent a lot of time on and thought I would share them. If anyone wants to correct me feel free. Do not correct my E_10 stoich though as I wanted to run a bit lean for MPG. When I run E_85 again I will have my turbo back on and want the most accurate numbers possible so if 9.765 is not perfect stoich then please correct me. I have uploaded my config for those that want to see another tuners perspective, I spent a lot of time getting my layout the way I wanted so tell me what you think and share yours if you think it is better.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Any comments?

Advanced Tuner
    I read. Kinda quiet here.
    Why not just tune and log lambda? I'm going to do that, it just makes sense to me. If course my pids have to work.

I fired my turbo 5.3 yesterday, E85 in the tank.

First turbo, first use of e85, first pids by me as well.

Ron

My problem is my autometer gauge only puts out 14.7 afr

Advanced Tuner
    Oh. Not a 0-5v out?

I think I see where you are going with this. I am not 100% sure how to set my aux to read lambda as the data I have is for afr. I guess your right though if I messed with it I could set my volt reference to show lambda. How would that work for the car. The equivalence pid? Ill have to log that and see if it works on my 99 camaro.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...deband-and-E85

My answers were found here...Freaking hysterical reading this btw, you should read this if you haven't just for the comedy.