Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LNF Vats disable

Advanced Tuner
    I found a good deal on a lightly wrecked 75,000 mile 2006 Cobalt SS 2.4 that I couldn't pass up. No plans whatsoever for it right now but it is thanks to this thread that it is now mine. Thanks again ya'll.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    a 2006 cobalt SS 2.4? hmmm
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

^^ something wrong with that Bill ?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    a 2006 cobalt SS 2.4? hmmm
    Yes. In 2006 and 2007 an NA SS 2.4L LE5 was available. It was kind of a transitional model between the previous, but also partially concurrent, LSJ and the eventual LNF. From this and threads on other forums I have read it is a unique LE5 in that is had forged internals, after 2007 they went to the sintered iron stuff. In 2008 the 2.4 SS was renamed to the Cobalt Sport which is when I believe the forged internals ended but the RPO was still LE5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Cobalt_SS

If I have misinterpreted your post please forgive me.
    Last edited by patooyee; 05-10-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    This is the control module that I have.

I believe it is an E67 and HPT works with it, correct?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecotec2.4 View Post
    ^^ something wrong with that Bill ?
    For some reason I thought you meant cobalt SS/SC which is the 2.0, don't mind me.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    For some reason I thought you meant cobalt SS/SC which is the 2.0, don't mind me.
    figured that was what you were thinking ^^

That looks like my E67 and Yes it works with HPT.

Advanced Tuner
    My next question, which was alluded to previously, but not answered directly, is will I be able to run just the ECM without a BCM or ignition cylinder once I delete VATS on my E67?

Quote Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
    My next question, which was alluded to previously, but not answered directly, is will I be able to run just the ECM without a BCM or ignition cylinder once I delete VATS on my E67?
    That's something I would like to know too, as I could not find a VATS disable/enable option in an E67 calibration that I briefly viewed with my HPT..

Advanced Tuner
    Actually I pulled my stock tune today and noticed that where the option would normally be to disable VATS the "Relink VATS" option is now displayed as if VATS has already been disabled for me. I also noticed that while the interface was reading my TCM the VATS dash light came on and then turned off when the interface was done reading. So I wonder if HPT has to disable VATS as some sort of exploit to get into the TCM?

Advanced Tuner
    Wait ... Now I'm looking at the same file again under OS and VTAS1 and VTAS2 are still enabled. I can't find where I saw relink vats now??? Durrrrhhhhh

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Iirc the lsj was the last ecotec to receive vats control.

Advanced Tuner
    I don't understand the relationship between ECM model, OS, and vehicle, generally speaking. I saw one thread about E67 V8 engines where Bill stated that the E67 does not have VATS at all so it does not need to be disabled. Then I see other EFILive threads where it can and does need to be disabled and then others where it has to be disabled as well as some sort of relay added to the starter "output." (Whatever that means.) I haven't been able to find anything directly stating anything either way in regards to E67's in Cobalts or Ecotecs.

Maybe I need to start a new thread with a more appropriate title since this thread has kind of morphed into something unrelated to its title?

Advanced Tuner
    Here's my bone-stock tune file if anyone cares to look ...

2006 Cobalt SS 24 stock stune.hpt

go into the operating systems tab..vats 1 and vats 2 are enabled....if you wish to disable turn them both off.

supercharged 2005-2007.5 2.0L eco is an LSJ motor
    turbocharged 2008-2010 2.0L eco is a LNF same as the early solstice gxp which was released before the cobalt
    turbocharged 2010-2014 2.0L Eco is an LHU which is found in the buick regal
    the reman block for the 2008-2010 lnf from gm has upgrades to fix early block porosity issues and internal component deficiencies...this motor is a 2.0L turbocharged LDK
    and finaly the cadillac ats has a turbo motor as well i believe its an LTG

you are technically in the wrong thread but thats no big deal. you know what you got now 8)
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    I started this thread and it lead me to the 2.4 purchase so I figured I would continue it. But I agree that it has morphed into something other than it started.

The procedure you describe is how I disabled VATS with my E40-equipped LS2. It worked fine and I know those options wouldn't appear if the patches didn't exist for my OS. But I've seen so much conflicting info on the net as to if it actually works on the Cobalt E67 that I didn't want to experiment and end up bricking the ECM.

Your statement "the lsj was the last ecotec to receive vats control" is a little confusing to me. Are you saying that it is the last Ecotec that the factory used VATS on or that it is the last Ecotec that HPT gave us VATS patches for? In either case the LE5 is post-LSJ yet I apparently have VATS patches. See why I am so confused?

So you are saying if I disable VATS 1 & 2 I can disconnect the BCM and the engine will run on just the ECM and TCM? If I don't want to run an e-trans, is there a way to get rid of the ECM? Would I just disable all the TCM codes to prevent the ECM from going into limp mode?
    Last edited by patooyee; 05-18-2014 at 02:00 PM.

hpt does not have a user selection for vehicles running newer ecu's than 2007.5 sc cobalt ecu.
    there are a few 2007 2.2/2.4's that have shown options but the amount that dont vastly outweigh the ones we know about.

yes the dealer installed vats but in the newer cars vats is being coded to the bcm and since its not a engine control unit hpt hasn't pushed for decoding two computers per vehicle to get us 1 feature.
    now i would bet if having control of the bcm included control of abs traction assistance then maybe...a very light maybe at that.....hpt would consider it due to its traction control benefits for things such as launch control traction assistance for the 60' trap.
    at the moment there isn't enough gain in accessing the bcm to make the time spending decoding it worth while.

disabling vats makes it a stand alone ecu...any inputs not sensed will throw codes which can be set to DNR (do not report)...after that the ecu ignores it completely and would resume on a standard non-limp mode operation.

Advanced Tuner
    Great, thank you! I feel I have beat this topic absolutely to death now so I think I will start a new thread next time I have questions. Thanks again for all your help.

Gain = incentive = $. Doesn't hurt to ask the Wizard for the cost to do BCM for a single ECU. You never know. If it's low enough, get a group buy together and pool your moneys to please the all-powerful ones.

Then again, CCSOB, if you've unlocked tables in the ECU why not the BCM? I have no idea what's involved, just interested.

i dont have much to say about it honestly....
    the guys i had look into the coding found the same thing im sure vince re-codes and thats when i started throwing bcm's in the trash can.