Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LNF Vats disable

Advanced Tuner

LNF Vats disable

I've seen mention that the BCM is needed to disable VATS on the LNF's but that a fix for this was in the works. Is it still the case or can I just get the ECM with the engine and disable as I would an LS2? Sorry if this has been answered somewhere but the search for some reason turns up 0 results for lnf when I can plainly see that there are threads.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    there is only two ways to get past this issue:
    1 trifecta standalone flash
    2 there is a gm procedure but it only works if the bcm has a different vin flash in it. a connected bcm is a requirement.

hpt isnt adding the standalone operation because the majority of the programming is in the bcm not the ecu. that's what my tech email responses have said in the past.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    there is only two ways to get past this issue:
    1 trifecta standalone flash
    What is that?

there is a guy named vince who owns trifecta performance. you have to contact them and request a flash cable and a standalone flash. the ecu will not start the engine if it does not receive a signal back from the bcm. their standalone flash disables the bcm signal request in the ecu.

as of right now its not listed on the web store they have so you will have to call or email for information. last i checked it was 3-400$ but that was about late 2009 early 2010 i think. the cable alone is like 250 but sometimes the cables come with the flash so ask them if you decide to contact them.

Advanced Tuner
    You can't just flash Trifecta's flash using HPT? And once you've flashed Trifecta's flash, can you then tune via HPT or are you stuck? I see on Trifecta's storefront that they offer a performance tune ... would the VATS bypass include the performance tune or would you have to pay once to flash the VATS bypass and then again if you wanted the tune?

It seems like if a guy named Vince can get past the VATS without a BCM then the only reason HPT can't is simply because they haven't made it a priority.

So say I have the entire car as a doner vehicle for an engine swap into something else. Using HPT could I disable VATS with everything still in the donor car and then swap it into the recipient vehicle without the BCM and then be good to go in the future?

Thanks, BTW, for the help.
    Last edited by patooyee; 02-24-2014 at 11:26 PM.

performance and vats disable are separate. if you get the vats flash you can tune with hpt.

if you have a donor car you cant disable anything vats related with the lnf in hpt. it only exists for the lsj.
    like i said without vince's flash you must have a bcm connected to the ecu.

hpt is pretty much done adding features for the lnf. from what i witness between releases they mostly go back to make sure the bugs that arise with new version software get sorted out.
    none of this is information you would like to hear but at least you have an option to make it operate as a stand alone. your only other option is a 7,000$ motec m1 ecu sorry.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 02-25-2014 at 12:58 AM. Reason: reword for clarification purposes

Advanced Tuner
    performance and vats disable are separate. if you get the vats flash you can tune with hpt.

if you have a donor car you cant disable anything vats related with the lnf in hpt. it only exists for the lsj.
    like i said without vince's flash you must have a bcm connected to the ecu.

hpt is pretty much done adding features for the lnf. from what i witness between releases they mostly go back to make sure the bugs that arise with new version software get sorted out.
    none of this is information you would like to hear but at least you have an option to make it operate as a stand alone. your only other option is a 7,000$ motec m1 ecu sorry.
    No, not what I wanted to hear. My recipient vehicle won't have a key, wouldn't want one even if I could, so if I were to wire in the BCM I still wouldn't have an ignition switch to make VATS happy. Thanks again for the info though.

ignition switch -> flippy switch.

Advanced Tuner
    I've seen multiple references to needing the original ignition switch / key switch as well as the BCM to satisfy VATS so I assumed the key is one of the ones with chips in them and therefore a regular toggle switch would not do.

chip keys
    the plastic on the main keys have a circle with a plus sign in them. means they have an internal chip and unless vats is disabled you cant use a toggle.

Advanced Tuner
    cobaltssoverbooster, you seem to be the ecotec authority so I'll ask you. It seems that with the market premium that the lnf goes for and the added complexity of the computer system that it may be easier and cheaper to simply cobble ones own turbo together on a non turbo ecotec engine. Assuming there are other ecus that vats can be disabled on and you wouldn't have to deal with direct injection, what are people doing in regards to handling the boost in terms of fuel management software in that case? Does hpt have a custom os for this and do you know of any build threads that you can link to?,

Not sure what kind of power you are going for, but an 07 G5 GT or Cobalt SS with 2.4L use an E67 ecm and may even be 06 also. I turbo'd my 2.4L and am around 300whp on stock engine.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecotec2.4 View Post
    Not sure what kind of power you are going for, but an 07 G5 GT or Cobalt SS with 2.4L use an E67 ecm and may even be 06 also. I turbo'd my 2.4L and am around 300whp on stock engine.
    I'm assuming you specifically mention the e67 because you can disable VATS with that computer? I would be ecstatic with 300 flywheel hp much less WHEEL hp, which is what you are saying you have? How do you handle the boost with the e67?

Isn't the non-turbo SS engine high compression? How much boost are you running?

The lsj can disable vats as well and it has boost settings from the factory for the supercharger. Because the injector are in the manifold and not under the intake runner like the lnf is you can port it much better. Gt40 lsj motors have pushed the 1000 hp limit before. Most lsj motor built full tilt land 7-900.

The lsj is simpler for stand alone due to no cam phasers, no voltage boosting injector drivers, no hpfp to limit fuel rail feeds and of course my favorite kr control is much easier to read and adjust for.

Advanced Tuner
    The lsj can disable vats as well and it has boost settings from the factory for the supercharger. Because the injector are in the manifold and not under the intake runner like the lnf is you can port it much better. Gt40 lsj motors have pushed the 1000 hp limit before. Most lsj motor built full tilt land 7-900.

The lsj is simpler for stand alone due to no cam phasers, no voltage boosting injector drivers, no hpfp to limit fuel rail feeds and of course my favorite kr control is much easier to read and adjust for.
    That's good info, thank you. Where are people getting engines from? I've called a couple yards that claim to have them but no one will guarantee me an ECM, harness, manifolds, turbo / charger and accessories. Back when I bought my LS2 it was very simple to find an entire setup together as one package. Apparently not with these engines?

Quote Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
    I'm assuming you specifically mention the e67 because you can disable VATS with that computer? I would be ecstatic with 300 flywheel hp much less WHEEL hp, which is what you are saying you have? How do you handle the boost with the e67?

Isn't the non-turbo SS engine high compression? How much boost are you running?
    Yes I'm sure you can, see tune below.
    I can't take credit for this Start Up Tune as it was supplied to me with the turbo kit.
    Here is a 2.4L stock tune and the turbo start up tune to compare and see the differences.
    Car is stock except turbo kit with Siemans 60's and a manual boost controler.
    2.4L has 10.4-1 CR and I run 11psi.

Stock Tune.hpt
    ZZP Start-up Tune.hpt

and this is what I got with the start up tune at 10psi, we got spark blow out there
    I forgot to close up the gap on plugs.
    but have not been back since my time trying to tune this.

Maybe it may help you decide which way you want to go........

Advanced Tuner
    What turbo kit was it?

Does anyone know if there is a ECU model listing somewhere with make, model, and year?

Advanced Tuner
    I guess you're running a 3 bar MAP and then somehow using MAP correction in the stock OS or something?

Advanced Tuner
    The 2.2 L61's seem to be plentiful and cheap where I am. There are several wrecked cars I could buy and part out and probably end up with the drive train for nearly free. I see plenty of LSJ supercharger kits on eBay for them. What ECU wold they have and is there anything wrong with the L61?

ZZP stage 3 kit S256et Bullseye.
    ^^It came with a 2 bar MAP sensor.
    I think some years of the 2.2L are not supported on HPT, not sure which I think early 2.2's.
    2.2L can't go past aprox 250 hp without internals upgrade

I don't know much about the LSJ but I believe it has a P12 ECM.....don't quote me.
    OVERBOOSTER knows