Thread: VCM Suite + 2006 Cadillac STS?

Potential Tuner

VCM Suite + 2006 Cadillac STS?

Hi guys!

So, since i first started driving, i've wanted a tuner. I finally have the income and the money to buy the VCM Suite, and i intend to do it in the next week... Just wanting to ask a few questions first.

I have a 2006 Cadillac STS 3.6 with a TCM that has a less-than-great OS on it. Shifts are slushy, shift points are all way too low, and it's always trying to lock the torque converter up and get into 5th gear by 30MPH, and the V6 doesn't seem to like that much. It also seems to unlock it and then relock it every time i take my foot off the gas. I HATE how the transmission in this car works, and after the torque converter clutch in the last transmission failed, i'd like to make a lot of changes to the transmission. Mainly increasing overall line pressure to reduce the "continuous slip" design of these transmissions, and then increasing shift firmness and moving the torque converter clutch lockup, as well as keeping it locked until i slow down enough that it has to unlock, instead of what it's doing right now. I'd also like to make sure the torque converter clutch is either on, or off, with very little transition time. I assume all of this can be done with VCM suite, and much much more, right?

I'd also like to try and eek a little bit more power out of the engine in the top end, and then more MPG at the bottom end (I do a lot of city driving, but also have some spirited driving every now and then). I'm sure the car has narrowband O2 sensors, so i know i'll be limited in what i can do, but i just feel like this engine can do a lot more than it's currently doing.

And then the obvious things. Changing the cooling fan cut on temperature, and bumping up the idle speed with the A/C on and out of gear, for the hot summer days when i'm sitting in parking lots waiting on people.

So. Can my $500 buy me all of this? If so, i'll be placing an order within the next week or so. This seems like a really great community, and i'd like to be part of it.

Also, can VCM Suite allow me to do things like enable the HUD option, or will i still have to visit a Cadillac dealer for that? I'm planning on adding the heads up display to this car, but i know that it'll set a DTC for Incorrect number of modules on the CAN network...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If it uses a T42 tcm or T43 we can support it, if it uses something different then we do not support the tcm functions.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    How would i be able to tell which TCM it uses?

From digging around on Google, it looks like the GM 5l40e is apparently not supported by most people because of the Siemens TCM...
    Last edited by CadiTuner; 02-24-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Hi

and welcome to the cadillac world !

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    yeah if its a 5 speed its neither T42 or T43

Potential Tuner
    Will it be supported later, or should I just go ahead and get the TCM tuned by someone?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    good luck finding a company that supports it, we really have no plans for them at this time. I don't think many companies have plans either so you might be up against a rock & a hard place.

Potential Tuner
    I've found two that claim to be able to do it... Just would like to be able to do it myself.

Is this TCM just to rare to bother supporting?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    used in so few applications and in applications that really aren't tuned very often that it makes it more work than its economically worth for us to even attempt to support.

Potential Tuner
    So I'm worthless

Oh well. Found a company that can tune the TCM. They require the TCM itself to be able to tune it, though, so I guess I'll own two TCMs... Still gonna get the VCM suite for the ECM, though. I like the idea of being able to change things.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    really? who if you don't mind?

Potential Tuner
    MadTuners and PCMPerformance both claim to be able to get into the TCM, but they both require the TCM to be mailed to them.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Ahh ok, I think I know the guy from madtuners

Potential Tuner
    That makes me feel a more comfortable about sending a TCM off to him/buying one from him... Hoping that i'll have the money to get it done, soon.