Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need clarification of something for VVT tuning of the LE5

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    Iirc larger numbers equal retard intake cam and advance exhaust cam. Full park is almost always fully advanced intake and fully retarded exhaust.
    if its 0 at idle and then goes to 24 wouldnt 0 be full park and 24 would be full retard? I know that the VVT doesnt turn on until 850 and if i activate the VVT and idle and give it a value the car will lope like its got a thumper cam lol

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    You didn't mention a cam so I'll use 0 as park for both. O would be full retard intake and full advance exhaust. The 24 is full advance intake and full retard exhaust. Higher the number the more overlap. Remember it's read exhaust first.

Add* park is almost always set to maximum separation to prevent poor running when stuff fails. I say almost because I can't speak for every motor on the available market.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 09-18-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Just love when someone try's to explain something then backs it up with I don't want to say too much as u might figure out my way of doing it. Lol my opinion is either the person is just a prick or doesn't really know how to do it so dances around the subject with a lot of words. I have found two people on this forum do this very often. Will never actually show a modified table just talk a bunch of shit to be exact. Anyone can go to a site and read and regurgitate what they just read and not show any kind of real world results. Personally if that is all you have to contribute then why waste anyone's time with a bunch of crap we probably already have read and have come to an actual tuning site to possibly get some real world tuning help from people that will actually share their real world results. The same two people also seem to live on this website showing what life they really have which seems to be none and how can you actually tune on a car when always posting all over this site? Why I take anything they say with a very small grain of salt and tend to trust those that will actually share the results they have got through actual tuning of their car. So sick of reading the same crap from these two no matter who's post or what the subject. The know it alls seem to talk a good talk but sure have a big fat zero to back all that talk up. I have seen a personal friend spend weeks playing with cam settings on his vvt ats not to find any huge gains what so ever. It was hard to even find a drastic shift in the torque curve. Of course the ats tables are different than the cobalt and don't have the same range as what you seem to have so sure that is a limiting factor. But to say huge gains are to be found if do it the right way is painting with an awful broad brush and doesn't apply to all vvt applications. Cool to see you actually saw or felt gains with a small change. Seems my application is a lot more finicky when comes to tuning and being a mass air only setup the more you change the more you have to fix it seems like when comes to tuning the ats.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Quote Originally Posted by lt1z350 View Post
    Just love when someone try's to explain something then backs it up with I don't want to say too much as u might figure out my way of doing it. Lol my opinion is either the person is just a prick or doesn't really know how to do it so dances around the subject with a lot of words. I have found two people on this forum do this very often. Will never actually show a modified table just talk a bunch of shit to be exact. Anyone can go to a site and read and regurgitate what they just read and not show any kind of real world results. Personally if that is all you have to contribute then why waste anyone's time with a bunch of crap we probably already have read and have come to an actual tuning site to possibly get some real world tuning help from people that will actually share their real world results. The same two people also seem to live on this website showing what life they really have which seems to be none and how can you actually tune on a car when always posting all over this site? Why I take anything they say with a very small grain of salt and tend to trust those that will actually share the results they have got through actual tuning of their car. So sick of reading the same crap from these two no matter who's post or what the subject. The know it alls seem to talk a good talk but sure have a big fat zero to back all that talk up. I have seen a personal friend spend weeks playing with cam settings on his vvt ats not to find any huge gains what so ever. It was hard to even find a drastic shift in the torque curve. Of course the ats tables are different than the cobalt and don't have the same range as what you seem to have so sure that is a limiting factor. But to say huge gains are to be found if do it the right way is painting with an awful broad brush and doesn't apply to all vvt applications. Cool to see you actually saw or felt gains with a small change. Seems my application is a lot more finicky when comes to tuning and being a mass air only setup the more you change the more you have to fix it seems like when comes to tuning the ats.
    Flip the coin over. Imagine if those two people were tired of people never wanting to learn anything themselves and always see people asking questions they could have answered themselves but never took the time to experiment. People who have to be given all the answers and never find out for themselves. That is exactly why I don't give computer/car/money advice to people anymore. They don't want to learn, they want me to fix all their problems so they don't have to work for it.

I'm not making excuses for people but honestly...
    2008 Pontiac G5 2.2L (main oil seal became a crunchy Autumn leaf, RIP)
    2016 Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost - Project "not-so-detestable"

If that's the case then they shouldn't bother answering the damn post in the first place with the same garbage we probably already read on some other website where people don't actually tune themself. This place is for people that do this to get together to share ideas not for some assholes to act like know it alls and try to say they have the answer but won't share any real world info. If that is what u plan to do then piss off and keep your comments to your self. Don't answer with some crap I already read and know then say I do have the answers but won't share it. Personally I think it is a bunch of talk anyway and probably don't even own a car or tune anything. Just trying to blow up their own ego. Why I rarely even bother to ask any thing here any more. I get more useful info and answers from the efi live sites at least there people are into helping and not just being a prick.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Tuner
    Sorry to dig up this thread.

This is the current iteration of cam tables I've scratched out for myself based on NA tuning philosophies discussed in my old VVT thread and what we know about the vvt table for the LE5. Right now it feels good on the butt dyno as well as airflow data. I'm using zzp's cams instead of stock cams. I didn't touch anything below 0.44 g/cyl in the cruising area.

Come August there is a car show/dyno thing for charity where dyno runs will be cheap. I'm going to try to make it and try to frame in some data for you guys between full advance, full retard, max overlap, and min overlap if I can get enough runs to test what I want to test. I'm hoping this will confirm a few things like how much overlap is getting the best power, how much retard is getting the best top end power, and how much advance is getting the best low end power. From there it should be fairly straightforward to create a good VVT table that makes sense instead of just applying theory and hoping it works.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2006 Cobalt SS LE5 | ZZP 2.5" Downpipe | ZZP Cams | HP Tuned

That's pretty cool that you're going to spend your money not ask for anything and then share what you find with other people on the site not many people do that of course you know how I feel about that as reading my other posts. Since I have posted that have probably helped five or more guys to full tunes on their ATS Cadillacs. The only thing I ever asked for my help from somebody is that for them to share back with me what they have learned I figured that point the more people learning together. In the in end more people that figure it out and possibly I kick start somebody into the right direction I will learn more and my own personal tune can get that much better so thanks for sharing once you get that information

Tuner
    I just don't have anything to benefit from keeping this to myself. I don't sell tunes, nor do I need to since I already have a day job. I primarily only tune my own car and a few of my friends cars for fun, not money. Plus sometimes they pick up my tab for me as a thanks at the bar/restaurant

I'll keep ya'll posted with my findings when I find out exactly when and where this dyno event is gona be so I can get some data.

Yea same here. I actually get a kick out of helping others make the car go faster or make their tune better for them. Have you ever seen the Ats file? If not can send u a file to look at if curious. Think yours is a bunch to tune wait till run across a caddy or Buick with 2.0t. Lol
    If interested in checking it out give me an email and will send u my tune to look at or just email me direct at [email protected]
    Always up for others checking it out and seeing what they think can make a difference that I might not have tried.

Tuner
    So sadly that dyno event didn't end up happening but that didn't stop me from fooling around with this. I have what feels like the best settings I've boiled down to than ever before for these zzp cams I have (I optimized the overlap involved with the profile of these cams rather than stock ones). Lots of low down torque from 1500 rpm and the power seems to keep on building all the way to 7000. I don't have these smoothed yet so that's up to whoever wants to use this as a starting point. I like it kinda sharp though cause it seems to make it easier to drive the car around by just big toeing the gas peddle.

I'm hoping to get to groundzero performance some time with my friend and his twin turbo stealth. The guy at that shop is really cool and would probably let my non 3000gt/stealth on the dyno for some test pulls with different cam settings.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by viceroykarl; 09-13-2015 at 11:02 PM.