Thread: LX9 Swap has a high timing issue

LX9 Swap has a high timing issue

I swapped a LX9 into a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero, but ever since I got the car running it has had very abnormal timing. Along with the high timing is high knock, but I believe the KR will settle once I get the timing straight.
    I was looking how to fix what I think is a mechanical issue before tuning but after spending hours under the hood should I tune the timing down? I'm lost so anyone's perspective would be nice.

WHAT I HAVE DONE:
    New crankshaft position sensor, performed CASE LEARN

Swapped parts from running vehicle:
    coil packs, control module, MAF sensor

Short Log File, Stock Tune
    alero high timing2.hpl
    3500 Swapped Pontiac Grand Am GT
    Simply Modded But Dont Call Her Stock

Fix your Map sensor, it's at 10 KPA all the time.

Russ Kemp

Thanks for looking at my log

I unplugged the MAP sensor intentionally, didn't know that was the log file I uploaded though. So after clearing my head today and wasting more time, I looked back at the stock tune for probably the third time. This whole time I couldn't understand what would add to or multiply my spark table so heavily. Turns out the only thing in the spark modifiers that is capable of doing this with a stock tune is the EGR table, which I have looked over and ignored in the past. First thing I do is unplug my EGR valve and go for a drive, EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL!!! Still have a little KR though, gotta work on that. Sorry for the long story, but I didn't know the EGR valve could make such a huge impact.

Hope this helps someone in the future. Never got a service engine light for this BTW.
    3500 Swapped Pontiac Grand Am GT
    Simply Modded But Dont Call Her Stock