Thread: Help me diagnose P0343

Help me diagnose P0343

I have a 5.3l Gen III 24x engine with a Gen IV cam installed. I Switched to a LS2 style 1x cam sprocket and front timing cover with the LS2 cam sensor to make the cam work. Now I get a P0343 error every time it is fired. Is there a way to check for cam sensor signal in the Scanner?

I have been hearing about several people having this issue lately and 2 out of 3 times it was the sprocket causing the problem. On two the clearance space was not correct between the cam and the sensor, and a differnt (brand?) cam sprocket fixed it. The third persons issue was with the wiring adapter that came with the LS2 cover. I just put a 24x 5.3 with LS9 cam in my TBSS before I sold it, and didnt have the issue. Does yours use that little adapter clipped to the cover? If so are the contacts clean and not bent?

Im sorry I dont think the scanner can do that, I think your goona need a Tech 2? Someone ellse will correct me if Im wrong.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Quote Originally Posted by gn2beatu View Post
    I have been hearing about several people having this issue lately and 2 out of 3 times it was the sprocket causing the problem. On two the clearance space was not correct between the cam and the sensor, and a differnt (brand?) cam sprocket fixed it. The third persons issue was with the wiring adapter that came with the LS2 cover. I just put a 24x 5.3 with LS9 cam in my TBSS before I sold it, and didnt have the issue. Does yours use that little adapter clipped to the cover? If so are the contacts clean and not bent?

Im sorry I dont think the scanner can do that, I think your goona need a Tech 2? Someone ellse will correct me if Im wrong.

I'm not using the short GM harness extension that clips to the cover. I've read somewhere about checking the cam signal with the scanner, but no details on what parameter to log.

Senior Tuner
    Did you flip the 2 wires that need changing? If you didnt use an aftermarket harness that did it already you have to flip 2 wires to make it work with ls1 pcm.