Thread: Help Idle pinging.

Tuner in Training

Help Idle pinging.

I have a LS7 with what sounds like engine pinging only at idle, ive tried adjusting the tables for idle but it seems like everything I do it doesn't help. I know around 2 mins in the log a KR happens bout the same time the ping does.
    IC1+Chop2+Maf+Start+coldstart.hptRunfromlowes.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandoneaves View Post
    I have a LS7 with what sounds like engine pinging only at idle, ive tried adjusting the tables for idle but it seems like everything I do it doesn't help. I know around 2 mins in the log a KR happens bout the same time the ping does.
    IC1+Chop2+Maf+Start+coldstart.hptRunfromlowes.hpl
    Are you running NGK plugs by any chance? I had this same issue and couldn't figure it out at first but as soon as I went back to the stock AC Delco plugs it immediately went away.

Look at 4:51 at your trims, they are anywhere from -13 to -20% off on one bank only. The other bank seems be positive +3 to +6 in most places. Something is wrong, get that fixed first. Notice how the O2 mv at 1:57 when the 3 instances happen, one of the O2's is pig rich and stays there til the knock decays. Thats a differance of 25% between bank one and bank two. There is a write up about that somewhere what causes this, but for the life of me it escapes me at the moment. Fix this O2 issue first, then do another log after fixing any trim issues which are all over the place.

Its not the plugs..... Misfire would come off as lean anways, not rich.

You also didnt list mods, Im assuming it has a bigger cam due to the higher kpa at idle.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gn2beatu View Post
    Look at 4:51 at your trims, they are anywhere from -13 to -20% off on one bank only. The other bank seems be positive +3 to +6 in most places. Something is wrong, get that fixed first. Notice how the O2 mv at 1:57 when the 3 instances happen, one of the O2's is pig rich and stays there til the knock decays. Thats a differance of 25% between bank one and bank two. There is a write up about that somewhere what causes this, but for the life of me it escapes me at the moment. Fix this O2 issue first, then do another log after fixing any trim issues which are all over the place.

Its not the plugs..... Misfire would come off as lean anways, not rich.

You also didnt list mods, Im assuming it has a bigger cam due to the higher kpa at idle.
    your correct but it did up being plugs, I since replaced all and it runs fine now, I have been working with the STFT to get my fuel trims in line I did this before I change the plugs then re did the idl tuning along with "drivablility area" since I do not have a wideband that's all im doing for now. im taking it to tune time in NJ on Tuesday so this was just a temporary ordeal.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by thesubfloor View Post
    Are you running NGK plugs by any chance? I had this same issue and couldn't figure it out at first but as soon as I went back to the stock AC Delco plugs it immediately went away.
    I was running them and just changed them out with a new set, I defiantly fouled them out.