Thread: Idle issues

Tuner in Training

Idle issues

I have a cammed lq4 swapped into a jeep. I had it mated to a manual 4 speed trans and just recently swapped it for an a4 4l60e. After swapping i cant get it to hold an idle. It starts right up and idles good for about 30 - 45 seconds then the rpms start falling off until it stalls. Ive been at this for about 2 weeks now trying to figure this out. If someone could take a look at my tune and try and see where i goofed I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
    idle probs.hpt

Can you post a log of it happening and your config, so we see what you see?
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Tuner in Training
    A Little update. I have figured out that if i start it up in park and before it tries to stall, put it in gear the back into park it will idle all day. At this point it will idle good until i shut it off and re start it again. Then im back to it stalling unless i put it in gear again. This is driving me crazy...lol. Any ideas ??

If that was a warm startup, it looks like a big vacuum leak to me. Unless you have a MONSTER cam.

It starts up rich, then goes dead lean, look at your O2 mv and your MAP values. Shouldnt be idling at ~87kpa.

To compound the problem, look at the timing, and how low it is due to where your MAP values are in relation to the timing table. Its trying to idle at 350-450rpm with @ 3-8 degrees of timing. If its not a vacuum leak, then up the timing and add some fuel (if that was a warm start) as your O2mv are as lean as they can be.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply. That was a warm start, and i have double checked for vacuum leaks with starting fluid and cant find any. The cam is 226/236 duration .525 lift 110 LSA. Here are two cold start logs, the first one is a normal in park start and the second one is of starting and immediately putting it in drive then back into park.

working.hpt
    cold start.hpl
    cold start gear.hpl
    Default Imperial1.cfg