Thread: I MADE A STUPID. Hope it's fixable.

I MADE A STUPID. Hope it's fixable.

Ok, so my brother just got an 06 Cobalt SS/SC.
    It sat for 5 years.
    We swapped an old/bad battery(Problem #1) from my dads powerstroke in it just to fire it and move it.

Well it had 5 year old gas in it so i wanted to log it running and see how it was doing on that crap.
    (Also i wanted to see if my cable was still good, last time i used it, car got totaled{un-related}, so this was my chance)

Now that the back story is out of the way.

I first checked my cable by connecting, opening the scanner, and logging with Key On, Engine Off.
    After all that checked out, I decided to start it to see if it had KR on the old gas.
    I failed to stop logging or even unplug the OBDII side when I cranked the engine over on the dead/bad battery. (Problem #2)
    So instead off it firing right up(like it had before after cranking a bit) it cranked a few times and i let off the key when i thought the battery was too weak.
    I then tried it again, and it fired and ran fine. no CEL or anything unusual.

Now, here's the current problem.

When I try to connect, log, read the tune, or anything.
    After a few seconds, all it does is show the (failed to connect, verify key on.) window.
    (the cars fuse isnt blow(that i can tell), when the cable is plugged into just the OBDII the cable still shows green power light on)

I did try the "delete vcm suit config" trick that cobalts have. to no avail.
    this computer has never connected to any other vehicle before either.

I opened my cable, saw nothing unusual.
    Is it possible that one of the resisters or chips or what have you on the circut board fried under low power situation?

Any and all help would be great.

Thanks, Andrew(some kind of stupid)
    Caution:Slow Learner

Senior Tuner
    1; Make sure drivers are installed (try reading another vehicle)
    2; Make sure Usb cable is good (try a knew one)

Those are the first two things I would check.