Tuner
    ??????????????????????

Tuner
    is this all I need?

Tuner
    ok got it installed . thanks!

No problem.

Tuner
    based on the read there is no how to use. What source would be good to start with. I feel like I wasted $400+ on these tuning school books as they are not helping. It's more of a click here to do this, instead of teaching it

I am our and answering on my phone. When I get home tonight I'll post a few links to some tutorials which will help. Don't know much about the tuning school books. Can you email some pages or stuff which you are having trouble with and perhaps I can help you better. Or just wait tilbi can post the links tonight.

Ed M

Tuner
    ok will do. I'm completely new to tuning. have plenty of background on working on LS cars, just not tuning.

Tuner
    the book says to disable the maf first, then setup a histogram for Primary VE vs RPM vs MAP, which I cannot do. So that's where I am now

Quote Originally Posted by spdmn75 View Post
    the book says to disable the maf first, then setup a histogram for Primary VE vs RPM vs MAP, which I cannot do. So that's where I am now
    Here is a quick write up I generated for you. Also attached as a Word File. Hope it helps. Also with all instructions, please use as information only....your gas mileage may differ. let me know if there are any problems with it though and will update as required.

Link to Word Document -- Quick tutorial on BlueCat.doc

Quick tutorial on BlueCat (BC) Virtual VE Calculator Tool

1. Open Blue Cat Program (Main Screen) and Tune File
    a. On tune file select Engine>Airflow>Dynamics (Make sure Editor view is set to Advanced)
    b. On BC, click Equation box (upper right on Main Screen) -- Equation Screen will open and will contain all zero's
    2. On Equation Screen, make sure the settings are correct for your application (i.e HPtuners, setup DoD and VVT etc.)
    a. Click Import -- follow instruction on popup menus that appear
    i. Here you will be importing the current tune coefficients by performing "Copy Table" functions
    ii. Put cursor over requested table in the tune file (see 1a), right click and select Copy Table; if done right, the BC popup will flash, go green and move on to the next table
    iii. Complete all 8 tables
    iv. When complete, the Equation Screen will appear with all the tables populated with your tune data
    3. On the main screen, click the "Generate VE table(s)" button
    4. On the main screen, click the "VE Table" button this will bring to a new screen called VE Table. This will look like the conventional VE table you are used to seeing in the LS1 and E40 applications
    5. Now you must select the Table Format for you application.
    a. Of note, once you select the table format, at the bottom of the "VE Table" screen will be the Histogram RPM and MAP axis values that you will use to set up the table in the Histogram
    b. In the VCM scanner, pick an open Histogram slot in your .cfg configuration file and select the "Row & Col Axis" tab in the "Histogram Configuration" screen. Copy paste the "VE Table" RPM and MAP values to the "Col (top)" and "Row (left) Axis header" label tables. Leave the Primary blank.
    6. Setup you AFR error PID (Calculates % of error from WB AFR and Commanded AFR) -- 100*(WB AFR-CMD AFR)/CMD AFR (save accordingly)
    7. Select the "General & Plot" tab on your "Histogram Configuration" screen and select that PID for the "plot value" (save accordingly)
    8. You are now setup to do VE logging for error. The BC has developed the VE table by which you will apply your error percentage as you would if the Primary VE table was available.
    9. Once you have completed this Mult %, Select the "Generate equation" on the BC Main screen. This will generate you 8 new coefficients based on your corrections.
    10. Once the equation generation is complete, click the "Equations" button on the BC Main screen. This will reopen the BC "Equation" screen and will be populated with the new data to be loaded into the tune file.
    11. Select "Import" on the BC "Equation" screen and follow the instructions similar to what you performed to import the data except this time it will be a "Paste Table" function to you tune file. Upon completion of the Paste Table step, the resultant tune table should turn red indicating it has been changes.

Good luck and happy tuning. You should be able to use your Tuning School information now.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 02-09-2014 at 01:18 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner
    spdmn75 i am in the same boat i used blue cat the other day just as described above and works great had to complete this twice and think i have it dialed in correctly waiting for reply in another thread. will keep you posted if i find out what too do next. Good Luck

Great write up mowton! You answered a lot of my questions as I am new to HPT as well.
    Matt

GM World Class Technician

Thank you Matt.

Per ke5gnz's post, boost does bring in a few added "tricks" when not using the Custom OS but none are that difficult to master. Tuning up to 105 kPa will be as the Tuning school instructions state (though I normally start with MAF) if that is what you choose to use. You then copy the 105 kPa value into the 255 kPa area and multiply by 3. Interpolate the area between 105 and 255, this will get you close. Also the PE will be adjusted as you enter into the PE area to get you to the recommended .78 lambda or 11.5'sh (at 14.68 stoich) AFR. Also you will have to adjust the timing as you increase the boost based on the g/cyl value.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 02-09-2014 at 10:06 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

So the more I think, the more I can post As you are beginners and starting with a boost setup, ther are other discussion topics. Such as do you have enough ifr or Maf before you hit the hard coded limits? If so you have to then venture into a scaled tune or speed density. I think with you setup you should be ok as your 2012 setup has twice the ifr and maf as the 2008. Sorry to make this even more confusing :-(

[email protected]

Tuner
    thanks!

Tuner
    ok not seeing the fields I need to copy in the dynamic tab?

Quote Originally Posted by spdmn75 View Post
    ok not seeing the fields I need to copy in the dynamic tab?
    tables.jpg

You must be in Basic View for HPTuners Editor. Go Edit>View and click Advanced
    Last edited by mowton; 02-09-2014 at 12:59 PM.

[email protected]

Tuner
    ok got it , wasn't sure is I should be in the sd section

Tuner
    not seeing the zone boundaries button anywhere

Tuner

Tuner
    does this look like its setup right? I was able to do ltfts yesterday and get them down to 5s from -18s