Thread: knock retard , superchared

Advanced Tuner

knock retard , superchared

hey guys 4.3 chevy stock with a 10 lb s/c im having issues with kr between 60 kpa @1600 and across the board , seems im losing timing in boost so i bumped up the fuel and it ot slightly better have two logs one before the fuel and one after , comparing the histograms on the two i made the fuel change , the s/c pressure relief valave closes at 1500 so the pe is set there , not sure if i need to set the min retard to *12 because in boost its going down to *1 degree advanced

thanks
    jim
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    wideband took a dump prior to these logs

Advanced Tuner
    table.pngyou need to get those fuel trims dialed in first thing. Also, in the areas you are seeing KR, have you tried pulling timing and then rescanning to see if it's gone. Don't expect to be able to run a whole lot of timing at 90KPA, commanding stoich.

You do realize your trying to boost your truck with a 1 bar map sensor running SD? How is it going to know how much fuel to add in boost?

You need to get either a 2 bar in there if there is an available enhancement or a maf. Also, you need to adjust your PE enrichment rate and TPS% PE enable. Also, your PE a/f ratio is dangerously lean for boost.

Thank God for knock sensors or this engine would be in pieces.
    Last edited by GPGTP; 01-31-2014 at 06:56 AM.
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Advanced Tuner
    thanks for the reply , Im fairly new to this , I wanted to try to dial in the one bar first (learning) then move on to the two bar and the fuel trims were were after i did a write thats why they were so messed up , new wideband is in and I will post another log later today agin this was not my tune , I am trying to fix it , the pe I was told was set for the rpm the prv closes and begins to enter boost , thanks again I will always take any tpis I can
    Best regards
    jim

ps were you tying to help me set the pe tables in that pic ??
    Thanks
    Last edited by usc45cal; 01-31-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Advanced Tuner

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by usc45cal View Post
    thanks for the reply , Im fairly new to this , I wanted to try to dial in the one bar first (learning) then move on to the two bar and the fuel trims were were after i did a write thats why they were so messed up , new wideband is in and I will post another log later today agin this was not my tune , I am trying to fix it , the pe I was told was set for the rpm the prv closes and begins to enter boost , thanks again I will always take any tpis I can
    Best regards
    jim

ps were you tying to help me set the pe tables in that pic ??
    Thanks
    Your fuel trims are like that because your MAF is not dialed in, they shouldn't be all over like that. Also, your PE enable TPS is set at 90%, your going to be well into boost before then, IE above 33%. Also, your commanding an af ratio thats on the leaner side of where you want to be NA, thats too lean for boost. Finally, yes that pic is a good idea of where your tables should be.
    Last edited by GPGTP; 01-31-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    thanks man I really appreciate it ,l am still learning and appreciate all and any comments or help

thanks again
    Jim

Advanced Tuner
    you're welcome. Get a 2 bar in there and tune the VE table to get your trims dialed in before you blow up your hard earned money.

Advanced Tuner
    I switched back to a maf , dialed it in pretty close and did a stft run , seems better with the knock but there is a lot of fat spots in the table ,i paid good money for junk, well anyway here is a quick file until i popped a air tube ( junk clamp)

thanks
    jim
    Last edited by usc45cal; 02-01-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Im doing good at the basic tunes and Im starting to wonder if im in over my head with the s/c tuning ,especially since it was way wrong when i got it from a (superior) tuner . i may bite the bullit and find someone willing to write a good tune and me take care of the small things

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by usc45cal View Post
    Im doing good at the basic tunes and Im starting to wonder if im in over my head with the s/c tuning ,especially since it was way wrong when i got it from a (superior) tuner . i may bite the bullit and find someone willing to write a good tune and me take care of the small things
    Wow, that was supposedly tuned?

SC in its basics is easy to tune, it's just an extension of NA really. If I had your truck unlocked with my tuner I would help you out but best I can do is screen shots. Can you list your mods in detail for me?

I'm at the movies at the moment so I can't view your latest files. I'll get back with you when I get a moment
    Last edited by GPGTP; 02-01-2014 at 06:57 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    no mods except built trans
    thanks again for the reply , and if you meant the tune was locked its not and it has a 1 and or 2 bar enhancement

thanks a bunch
    jim
    go
    and yes the tune was by one of the top three names out there thats as far as i will go

no mods except a nasty trans i built that is a and goes sideways from first to second ,,,neck breaker
    1996 s10 with a 411 swap
    thats it bro
    Last edited by usc45cal; 02-01-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Lol, well I've heard/ seen that before. To mention a certain occurrence. I had a customer who paid big money for a built LS7 needing a tune. I couldn't believe how bad it was, clearly had no idea what they were doing, happens more than you would hope.....all the time. Oh well more business for me lol.

No your tune file isn't locked however unless I register the file to my tuner I can't save changes, so I can't send you a file with changes.

Do you have headers? Injectors? You say it has 4.10's but the file says you still have it set for 3.42's, that needs to be changed.

I just looked at your tune, sorry man but it's still way off. Do you see how your short term fuel trims (STFT) are way negative in the low maf hertz and positive in the high maf hertz? Not acceptable, you need to read on how to tune the maf and dial that sucker in. Also, you need to log commanded a/f ratio (commanded EQ ratio), engine coolant temp, intake air temp.

So you see what your wideband is showing at the point where my cursor is?? Your maf tune is so far off that your a/f ratio is 18.59:1, which is exactly why your seeing knock there. You could stand to pull about 4* of timing in the knock areas for now. You should also set your "enrichment ramp in" to 1.0

You need to get this thing tuned by someone who knows what they are doing, or take your time, do some reading and tune it yourself. I would highly recommend reading on how to tune the maf before even driving it again though.

s10.png
    Last edited by GPGTP; 02-02-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    here is an example of what your fuel trims should look like when your maf/ VE are dialed in properly. This car did not need a VE tune since it's NA and stock except for intake and exhaust mods. Never mind frames 260-270.

Do you see how the STFT's are bouncing back and forth across 0%? That's the O2 sensors switching across stoich and it's a good sign that your MAF/ LTFT's are correct. What this all means is that the initial guestimate from the MAF is right. I.E. it doesn't need to learn a corrected value. This is what you are shooting for.
    Last edited by GPGTP; 02-02-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    can we pm?

Advanced Tuner
    i did want to post this but here is the tune i was given and by 411 i meant i switched from the black box to a newer 411 computer no mods besides 36lbinjectors

Advanced Tuner
    I sent you an email.