Thread: LS4 DOD timing?

Tuner in Training

LS4 DOD timing?

My wife drives a 2005 Grand Prix GXP with the LS4. I was scanning it the other day while diagnosing a failed oil pressure sensor, and noticed a lot of knock retard while in V4 mode and during transition from V8 mode. I wanted to reduce the timing in the low octane dod table, but this table is not available. Is there only one dod timing table for this model? Anyone have any experience with this?
    Thanks,
    Jon

theres only one dod timing table. you should tune out the dod though it kills reliability of the motor and trans, and fyi all ls4 stuff will be related to gen 4 not 3
    06 Grand Prix GXP, LS4-full bolt ons, Tuned by me

Tuner in Training
    OK, only one timing table to mess with then. I thought something was really wrong with her car seeing near constant knock retard at highway speeds. I see lots of posts saying this is normal(!). No wonder there is an oil consumption problem with these engines.
    Thanks,
    Jon

The oil eating isnt directly related to the constant "knock" while in DoD. It's really the fact that 05-06 were the first years of the new system and saw issues with oil getting past and burned up in the cylinders that arent firing. another reason you'll see alot of KR is because the LS4 engine will just see loads of KR with the way the knock sensors are setup and the burst knock, pretty sensative from the factory.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I have been hoping it is false knock, but I suspect a good portion is real (on this car anyway). Reducing timing across the board by 6* makes the KR go away completely, but not surprisingly makes the car a real dog. I'll have to test this some more when the air temps go back up (it is about 7 degrees F here now) and the KR shows itself. Thanks for the input.
    Jon

Make sure anything in the ignition system is up to snuff and be running 91+ octane. Using 87 octane can cause some of it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    A set of colder plugs is coming soon. I see on the other forums that it helps.
    Jon