Thread: 13 sonic experience

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar

13 sonic experience

Most of you know me for lnf help and yesterday was my official last day of lnf ownership. In the push for power I blew a sweet hole through cylinder #3 and the motor is trash. Some of you know what I've done since original purchase: gt3076r kit, c 02 dual point cooling spray, E47/ c16/methanol systems, one off ported heads, .030" base circle cut on cams..The list keeps going and going. So finally after killing this 3rd major setup rebuild I decided it was time to let it go. My cobalt ss was traded into a dealership in Carson nevada. I walked away with my new car today. You guys guessed it 13 chevy sonic turbo.

It's a great little car but unfortunately I have decided this one won't be getting registered under my hpt account.
    I'm still getting used to the way this car drives being an auto 6 speed and have two questions for those owners still here.
    When you go up a hill on cruise control do any of you feel a slight surging going up small to medium hills?
    What kind of gas mileage did you guys net on a tank of gas before you started changing boost levels and timing?

Thanks CSSOB
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    I am sorry your car blew up, but congrats on the new car. I hope you stick around to help the n00bs, like me, with all of the knowledge you possess. Lol.

Any parts pulled from the car before you traded it in?

didnt keep any parts. it would lower my trade value to lower than half what i was given

well correction i have a HID conversion kit that i didn't get around to installing. Its not a projector kit so it wouldn't require separating the headlight housings. just bulbs, ballast, and harness. i know its not performance related but i dont need them anymore.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 01-23-2014 at 12:05 PM.

how many miles on it right now? the trans is probably still trying to learn shift points we have alot of customers bring the newer 6 speeds trans cars in for hard shifting surging and they say it lags in power when trying to pass another vehicle.. it will eventually go away once you get miles on it
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

My DD isn't a Sonic now like yours, It's a Veloster Turbo so I CAN"T register it with HPT. Too tempting if I could. Bone stock except a sway bar & K&N drop in. Enjoy!
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Thanks project, im only at 111 and it didnt do it as much today but its a very weird feeling for sure.

Broke dude this my only car now man. with going back to school i have almost stripped myself of all the cool stuff that cost me too much money. i am extremely tempted to tune this thing but for what it is and the reason i got it for ill be working on my other hpt stuff to satisfy my needs. still got a 01 tahoe vortec 5.3 and a gxp 3800 sc to work on so should be satisfied enough with those.

Tuner in Training
    Did you blow a LHU or LDK? It was stock right? How is this possible. I can't even blow my stock LNF lol...

i had a stock lhu pushed 24 psi, 19* wot timing at the max and ran on the leaner side about 12.7 and it just wasn't having it and let a land go. that's all there was to it.
    i should have been 12.6 with 16* timing but ehh its over now.

next project will be awhile from now. need to recover some from this one first but think TT or Single monster chevy v8 later down the road. problem is i dont know what i want the donor to be. im very indecisive when picking a car for a project lol.

It seems that the transmission has updated a little bit and the jerkiness of the cruise control is becoming less annoying at an exponential rate. this car has caught me off guard on how well it just works.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    i had a stock lhu pushed 24 psi, 19* wot timing at the max and ran on the leaner side about 12.7 and it just wasn't having it and let a land go. that's all there was to it.
    i should have been 12.6 with 16* timing but ehh its over now.

next project will be awhile from now. need to recover some from this one first but think TT or Single monster chevy v8 later down the road. problem is i dont know what i want the donor to be. im very indecisive when picking a car for a project lol.

It seems that the transmission has updated a little bit and the jerkiness of the cruise control is becoming less annoying at an exponential rate. this car has caught me off guard on how well it just works.
    damn man sorry to hear about the car. i tuned a sonic a while back that just went on the dyno and it did pretty well he hit around 207hp if im not mistaken and afr was on point with stock injectors at 17 psi. he loves the car but it still falls on its face in the upper range. i think thats where the cams kinda level out but we havent been ableto fool around with it for a while.
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

those are nice numbers and with the weight im sure it flies very well

Advanced Tuner
    Welcome to the Sonic/Cruze crew! Have fun ;-)
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado