Thread: vss , temp, output on e38 ecm need help !

Tuner in Training

vss , temp, output on e38 ecm need help !

swaped 2008 gen IV truck complete set up eng. trans . ecm into a 2000 chevy pick up truck is working volts, rpm, oil presure, oem gauges are working , need help on vss and eng.temp

Advanced Tuner
    On a 2000 truck the oil pressure sender and voltage are hard wired to the gage cluster - they don't go through the PCM - explains why these are working. The gages need a pulse tach signal from the PCM - sounds like you have the ECM setup correctly for this - as the tach is working.

The gages need a 4K signal from the PCM for the speedometer - given that this is not working the ECM has not been properly setup.

The engine temp is sent via serial data from the PCM to the gages - you will never get the E38 to communicate with your gages via serial data.

SpearTech had a similar swap on their website - they retained the PCM to operate the gages (just piggybacked / duplicated the signals).

Tuner in Training
    they retained the PCM to operate the gages (just piggybacked / duplicated the signals). ................ little lost with this ?
    on the speed , so your saying that i can conect pin 57 speed output on e38 yellow black wire to green white stripe vss on my 2000 pick up and calibrate ecm to 4k and i should get a signal ?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by j.garza View Post
    they retained the PCM to operate the gages (just piggybacked / duplicated the signals). ................ little lost with this ?
    SpearTech retained the original truck PCM to operate the gages, and also used an E38 to operate the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by j.garza View Post
    on the speed , so your saying that i can conect pin 57 speed output on e38 yellow black wire to green white stripe vss on my 2000 pick up and calibrate ecm to 4k and i should get a signal ?
    On the E38 C1 (black) pin 57 is where the 4K VSS output COULD be configured - Corvettes do this, trucks do not. You need to adjust this in the tune. The early truck E38s (except some HDs) seem to work .... later model years can be hit or miss.

Regarding your gage connector, if memory serves the speedometer input is on pin A3 (dark green / white wire).

Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post

On the E38 C1 (black) pin 57 is where the 4K VSS output COULD be configured - Corvettes do this, trucks do not. You need to adjust this in the tune. The early truck E38s (except some HDs) seem to work .... later model years can be hit or miss.
    How do you adjust that in the tune?
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692