Thread: Grand Prix GTP / 4T65E-HD Tuning Question - HP Build

Tuner in Training

Grand Prix GTP / 4T65E-HD Tuning Question - HP Build

Hello all. I've been playing with the 3800 platform for a while now. I've recently "upgraded" some of my toys, which are now pushing ~ 400 whp...one is M112 supercharged, and one is a turbo build.

Both trans' are shot. I plan to go with Dave @ TEP for a rebuild. He said in his email that there is a lot more to tuning than just your shift PSI, etc. In a few other cars, I have experiment with the FMC tables, to increase clutch pressures...but again, just experimenting (so far successfully).

Does anybody on here have any high HP builds from Dave @ TEP with a setup BIN that I can look @? Or other HP builds from any other trans builder? I don't need to see MPH tables, or shift timing, etc...just curious about the clutch and trans shifting pressures and what people use...to make the trans' hold up.

Thank you in advance

- Steve
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX T/C
    Current: T62-1, S1X, GMR goodies

Senior Tuner
    What I have done for a long time with the V6's, and recently found is a great thing to do with the LS1's, is to multiply the force table by .9 reducing the table by 10%, then copy the second last row, the 96 column over to the 100 column. This will keep you from bleeding off all pressure if you were to go that high in the table on a shift. You have been into the table as you have said, just keep in mind that lowering that table results in more pressure. Smaller numbers effectively increases pressure on the bands and clutches. This will help make the trans last a hell of a lot longer. They are set so high by GM that they will burn themselves out really quickly with the values from stock settings in a modified car. I would not reduce the table by more than 15% unless it was a seriously built trans though.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    have you tried contacting Dave directly? He's a cool dude and will probably be more than happy to assist you.
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Tuner in Training
    Thanks! Much appreciated...I'll give it a shot! Worked great so far on my DD. 13.5% FMC decrease worked great. Once warmer weather hits, time to play around some more.

And yes, I have talked with Dave...great guy. I am definitely going with him for the turbo car trans build.
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX T/C
    Current: T62-1, S1X, GMR goodies